ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Ambar
ninjette.org member

Name: Sharon

Motorcycle(s): green ninja 250

First ride

I took my first ride on the Ninja today. It was a blast.
After a bit of a shakey start, Jeff and I headed out onto the road. Wish I could say where we went, but I don't know the area here. I remember seeing PCH but the rest of the roads kinda blend together since I don't know them

Fortunately for me, Jeff got us some communicators so he was able to give me riding tips, tell me where to go, and help me keep my confidence up when I did something silly like dropping a gear and letting out on the clutch too fast, or pretending that I had a trailer when I realized too late that my turn was now. Not to mention they were great to tease me when I power walked to a stop or tried to pretend I was on a skateboard.

All in all it was a great ride, and I can't wait for the next.
Ambar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Sounds like a good first ride Keep practicing
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #3
kkim

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Sounds like a great trip. The more you ride the better you will get.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Sounds like a great trip. The more you ride the better you will get.
Agree! That is what I told her when we got home, she did really well for her first time out. I wanted to go to a parking lot but being 10am finding an empty one was not going to happen. I took her around the block a few times to make sure she could turn and handle the bike good enough for the road. At first she had that "oh **** what did I get myself I to" that quickly turned into an ear to ear smile

I had her do a pre ride check on the bike, went over everything about it, what to look for, bolts tight the works. If she is going to ride she will be self sufficient about her bike that is for sure

The communicators were invaluable tbh. I was able to spot things that would be an "oh ****" moment for a new rider and point them out before hand.

All in all she did superb and have an entire weekend planed for riding.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Ambar
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'm sorry to say, the thought of pictures never even crossed my mind lol. It was filled with thoughts of... what's that car going to do..am I going too fast...should I shift now...oh crap..where the heck did first gear go to..where the heck are we. It felt like we went a very long way but turned out that we made a big circle lol. I will take some when we go out this weekend.

We had a long conversation after getting home about what I was doing right and wrong and places where I can improve. He was able to explain (so that I could understand) why it was necessary to keep the rpms up when my instincts kept saying shift up. I've read lots about it, but it finally made sense.

I know I have a lot to learn, but getting out there yesterday really helped build my confidence a lot. Not enough to go out and take chances, but enough to think that I can do this.

Old June 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #7
kkim

sounds like you've caught the bug and have a great teacher to help you on your way. If only we were all so lucky to have a private tutor the first time we jumped on a bike.

Have you taken the MSF course yet?

Take it easy learning how to ride. baby steps... you don't want something to spoil what is a very enjoyable sport just as you are just starting out. Learn to control the bike to the best of your ability... speed will follow as the skills and confidence builds. repetition seems to be the best teacher for this.

Have fun riding this weekend... and don't forget the camera.

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Ambar
ninjette.org member

Yes, I took the MSF course back in April and got my endorsement.

I am blessed to have him to help. Without the encouragement and tips, I don't know that I would have had the nerve to go more than around the block...maybe.

Lol I'm all about the baby steps. I really want to get to a parking lot to get more comfortable up and down shifting, turns, etc. He did promise I don't have to go on freeways till I'm comfortable. Man, the thought of them intimidates the heck out of me.

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #9
kkim

Learn to be 100% in control of the bike. As you work to do that, you'll find the fear of riding will subside. The mistake most make is that they get cocky at that point and over ride their abilities. Know/recognize your limits and learn to stay on the "non crash" side of them.

Slow down and learn your lessons well... it's not a race. Only go a fast as your mental state will allow you.

have fun, ride safe

Old June 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #10
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

^ Words of wisdom from Mr. Kkim (:
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #11
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
^ Words of wisdom from Mr. Kkim (:
yup, very wise words from one of the best members of this community. Thank you guys for being supportive of her, and thank you kelly for the help and encouragement. She trusts and takes your advice very serious we are lucky to have you as part of the community.

Went for a quick ride again today when i got home and she is getting better each time. Parking lot practice is on the agenda as soon as we can get an empty one but she is doing well and she is having a blast.

ninja sharon! by Havok3c, on Flickr

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #12
kkim

Jeff,

She seems like a serious student. Teach her well. Props to you for taking the time to help her out.

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Man, I may have to check my schedule (which means ask for permission from my wife... but I can sound important right ) I've had to drive my cage all week because of being on the rifle range (they frown on riding around with an M4 rifle slung across your back...lol)

I think it's awesome that Jeff is helping you out!!! He's a great guy... ask me how I know

Good luck and keep it safe!!!
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #14
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Jeff,

She seems like a serious student. Teach her well. Props to you for taking the time to help her out.
honestly its all self serving, I love riding, i love her, Putting the two together is a no brainer She really is enjoying it and taking the time to just go slow and help her work on her skills and let her get up to bigger rides is worth it.

The encouragement she gets from you guys and all the people on this site helps her immensely, Knowing that the Ninjette nation is behind her and there for her helps her confidence and keeps her from getting down on herself if she makes a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
Man, I may have to check my schedule (which means ask for permission from my wife... but I can sound important right ) I've had to drive my cage all week because of being on the rifle range (they frown on riding around with an M4 rifle slung across your back...lol)

I think it's awesome that Jeff is helping you out!!! He's a great guy... ask me how I know

Good luck and keep it safe!!!
Thanks man, I cant wait for you guys to meet her at the next meet up She is looking forward to one and keeps asking me about it. She is hooked on riding that is for sure and that is a good thing

Old June 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #15
JeffM
Mr. 988

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambar View Post
Man, the thought of them intimidates the heck out of me.
That is good. Listen to your self and ride to your own limits. Baby steps are the way to go. You have a entire lifetime of riding ahead of you, no need to rush.

After I finished the MSF I road around my neighborhood streets for around a month before I ventured out on the "big road" I took to the freeway about a year later only when I felt reasonably comfortable about it and it still made me nervous.

Jeff

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #16
Ambar
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
That is good. Listen to your self and ride to your own limits. Baby steps are the way to go. You have a entire lifetime of riding ahead of you, no need to rush.

After I finished the MSF I road around my neighborhood streets for around a month before I ventured out on the "big road" I took to the freeway about a year later only when I felt reasonably comfortable about it and it still made me nervous.

Jeff

Oh, I have no plans to rush. The bike and the road aren't going anywhere, and I might not be either if i take it too fast lol.

I am having a lot of fun and Jeff is great. He never pushes me to do any more than I feel comfortable with, and helps to build confidence with every ride.

I appreciate him and the folks here so much for all the encouragement and help. It's so nice to be able to share a moment, or ask a question and know that you aren't going to be flamed or thought dumb because you had to ask something that may be common knowledge to an experienced rider. I can honestly say, this is the best online community that I have ever come across.

I think we are going to go find a parking lot this morning and work on some low speed stuff. I'm really looking forward to that. I do ok at speed, but starting and stopping smoothly do not seem to be my forte yet lol.

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Havok
Internet Slut

What a difference parking lot practice can make, we spent 2 hours doing low speed, quick stops, turns and acceleration. She is a great student and gained so much confidence her skill level went up imensly.

It was good for me as well as we spent time practicing riding 2 up for when her daughter gets out here and rides with me.

Parking lots rule

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #18
kkim

lol... this is turning out to be a real "family" project, eh?

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #19
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
lol... this is turning out to be a real "family" project, eh?
Yup Everyone should be so lucky