ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you an organ donor?
Yep, Use it or lose it! 96 73.28%
No, This is my kidney. There are many like it, but this one is mine. 35 26.72%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 26th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Are you an organ donor?

Everyone here who rides a motorcycle takes more risks than the average person. By taking more risks you are more likely to be less alive at the end of the day than your non-riding peers. Has riding a motorcycle prompted you to sign up to be an organ donor or were you already one before you got your M1?

Or are you not an organ donor and never plan on becoming one? Donating organs afterall is not a tax write-off.

Why are you or aren't you an organ donor?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Waste not want not.....

EDIT: I signed to be an organ donor at age 16. My wife hates the idea but it's still signed none the less.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #3
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

I've been an Organ Donor ever since I first got my learner's permit when I was 15. The way I look at it is you aren't going to need your organs when that day comes so why not help out as many people as you can? Most people probaly live their entire lives never saving a life so its one last chance to make a difference in the world.
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotgeorge747 View Post
I've been an Organ Donor ever since I first got my learner's permit when I was 15. The way I look at it is you aren't going to need your organs when that day comes so why not help out as many people as you can? Most people probaly live their entire lives never saving a life so its one last chance to make a difference in the world.
word

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I also signed up when I first got my license. I don't think they can use my liver anymore...
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Not sure if I am but I should be. Does it say anywhere on my license?
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
Not sure if I am but I should be. Does it say anywhere on my license?
It should say on your license. In Massachusetts, it used to be a little orange sticker, but now it's a little red heart in the lower right corner with the word DONOR on it.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Heed

i don't see anywhere that says i am a doner, but i'm pretty sure I registered. it also has a spot for my blood type but has nothing writen in it

this is kind of off-topic, but on the back of my license it says "Class: Single Veh 16000 or less" what does that mean? Weight?

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
i don't see anywhere that says i am a doner, but i'm pretty sure I registered. it also has a spot for my blood type but has nothing writen in it

this is kind of off-topic, but on the back of my license it says "Class: Single Veh 16000 or less" what does that mean? Weight?
Nope, speed
AFM #676

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #10
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

If you are not an Organ Donor and want more info on how to become one here is a site I found www.organdonor.gov

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #11
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Been an organ donor since I could drive. I've heard the occasional horror story, hospitals letting people die so they could harvest organs. But I'm not too worried about it.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
Been an organ donor since I could drive. I've heard the occasional horror story, hospitals letting people die so they could harvest organs. But I'm not too worried about it.
Vegetables don't need organs, just dirt.
AFM #676

Old November 27th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #13
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I don't think I was one with my driving permit at 15, not sure why I wasn't... Got my drivers license at 16 and became one, got my endorsement 9 days later and stayed one :P The extra $20 to get a new license was totally worth it to be able to mob around while my parents were gone for 4 days and they left me with a fast car with a full tank of gas, idk what they were thinking! Hate giving the dmv money though *gets off topic* my bad, yeah I figure if I get into a horrific accident (hope not) and one organ is undamaged and someones going to die unless they get that one organ, totally worth it. Would like to know that I saved someones life before I died though, freaking depressing topic! Ride safe everbody, hopefully we won't need to use our organ doner-ness
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #14
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I have friends who's brothers are EMTs, paramedicts, etc. They have straight-up told me that if they see you are an organ donor and maybe they know a liver is needed there is less effort put in to saving you.

Personally, i'd like to be saved (but not be a vegetable). So I've instructed my parents that although my ID does not list me as a donor if I do pass I would like my organs to be donated.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
I have friends who's brothers are EMTs, paramedicts, etc. They have straight-up told me that if they see you are an organ donor and maybe they know a liver is needed there is less effort put in to saving you.
Yeah, I've always heard this. I value my own life way above the lives of any number of strangers, so I want some honest effort should it need to be saved. I'm too cold, hard, and selfish to be an organ donor.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
That is just horrible and part of what is wrong with the world.

Old November 27th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #17
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I'm absolutely an organ donor. I also have a living will, power of attorney, etc.

I find it highly unlikely that the average EMT who shows up at an accident site would know offhand of specific organs needed for specific people at the nearest transplant center (ditto ER surgeons etc). Transplant centers are often completely separate parts of hospitals if not entirely different hospitals altogether.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/emergent/donor.asp

https://www.donatelifesc.org/pages/f...conceptions#q1

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...ts_or_doctors/

Old November 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #18
Jay72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I need to chime in on this as I am a 2x kidney recipient, and currently waiting for my third.
If I could donate I would but being immunosuppressed in the past I have something called antibodies and cannot donate anything, even blood, I sign my card anyways and they can figure out what to do when my time comes.
I will say that paramedics have no clue what centre needs what organ, and often the organs do not go to the closest hospital but to the best possible match. In the event of an accident and someone is brain dead but they can donate, there is actually quite a bit of time to get everything all sorted out, it is a huge process just to get what is called worked up and get on the list.
Jay72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #19
Jay72
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
Odds are that what you heard is BS, maybe in some third world country but I highly doubt that happens in the USA or Canada.

Old November 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #20
Jay72
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Personally, i'd like to be saved (but not be a vegetable). So I've instructed my parents that although my ID does not list me as a donor if I do pass I would like my organs to be donated.
You actually believe this???? A few of you do obviously, and it is totally ridiculous, think about what is needed to donate an organ, do you really think that so and so was just in an accident and someone I know needs a kidney, or liver or pancreas or whatever so we will let them die? They don't even know the blood type which is the first part of many to have a compatible match.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but what you say you have heard is just stupid (not you just the comment you heard) There is no way in hell do determine any of this by a paramedic. I actually am a Medical Lab Tech and to jsut do what is called a type and screen takes a good 45 minutes, so there is nothing decided by a paramedic. I think what you have heard is just people trying to sound like they know what they are talking about but really they are just talking out of their ass.
Like I said earlier, I am a 2x transplant recipient, and my wife is also a transplant recipient ( she had a liver, myself 2 kidneys) So I do know what I am talking about on the subject.

Old November 27th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #21
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

I must have opted out when I got my driver's license, but when I received my motorcycle endorsement I signed up to be a donor. It seems like the right thing to do and I highly doubt the horror stories about health practitioners not trying as hard to save you if you're an organ donor; it goes against everything, moral and ethical codes, that health providers abide by. But hey, I'm not an expert and I'm currently only a pre-med so maybe I'm just naive, but I hope I'm not.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #22
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I wanted to when I turned 16, but didnt. Then when I got my motorcycle license, I saw it as more reasonable. So I did.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #23
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I only donate my man organs....to good looking women only.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #24
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Last futzed with by LoneRonin; November 27th, 2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: double post
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #25
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

Not yet, but maybe one day, when I die.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #26
Heed

Quote:

Old November 27th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #27
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I've been a donor as long as I've had a drivers license. Frankly, if someone can make use of my body after I'm done with it, more power to 'em. The rest is destined for a science lab or worm food, so I say pick'n pull while they can. Until I'm done with it though, my organs stay put.

I also donate white blood cells a couple times a month. I've got more than I usually need, may as well share the wealth while I watch a movie (literally).

Old November 28th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #28
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
I also donate white blood cells a couple times a month. I've got more than I usually need, may as well share the wealth while I watch a movie (literally).
How do you share just the white blood cells?
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #29
cliff0529
ninjette.org member

Name: Cliff

Motorcycle(s): 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2001 Aprilia Falco, 2008 Ninja 250R and a whole slew of dirtbikes!

I am not, for many reasons, but one of them being that you are kept on a sort of life support when they harvest the organs. You cannot be "dead" in order for them to harvest the major organs, they need a constant blood supply to be viable.

I understand why some people do it and I applaud them for doing for following their convictions, but I am not convinced that being declared brain dead is actually completely dead. Too many stories of people coming back after being declared brain dead. I've told my wife and family my wishes as far as a living will and how long to leave me on life support.

Georgia Fast Lane
cliff0529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #30
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff0529 View Post
I am not, for many reasons, but one of them being that you are kept on a sort of life support when they harvest the organs. You cannot be "dead" in order for them to harvest the major organs, they need a constant blood supply to be viable.

I understand why some people do it and I applaud them for doing for following their convictions, but I am not convinced that being declared brain dead is actually completely dead. Too many stories of people coming back after being declared brain dead. I've told my wife and family my wishes as far as a living will and how long to leave me on life support.
I wonder if anyone has ever woken up while on those life support machines, but after 1 or more of their organs had already been harvested

Old November 28th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #31
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I wonder if anyone has ever woken up while on those life support machines, but after 1 or more of their organs had already been harvested
I'm sure this happens ALL the time. Then the doctors and EMTs who decided to let them "die" for their organs run away to go find someone else's organs to take.

Old November 28th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #32
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13

Old November 28th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #33
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

No organ donor. When I'm dead, I'll let you know.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #34
Heed

Unless they'll have the technology to raise me from the dead in the future, you are welcome to my organs.

lol

Old November 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #35
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
How do you share just the white blood cells?
The last time I donated blood they asked if I wanted to do that. It takes hours and hours to do. They drain your blood, filter out the white cells, then put what's left back in. My policy is that nothing goes back in.

Old November 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #36
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
The last time I donated blood they asked if I wanted to do that. It takes hours and hours to do. They drain your blood, filter out the white cells, then put what's left back in. My policy is that nothing goes back in.
You can also do a double red donation. They plug you into a machine which pulls out your blood filters out the red blood cells and puts back the plasma (I think thats what they call it). Anyway, they end up taking 1/3 of your red blood cells but none of the other fluid in your veins so your blood pressure doesn't drop.

After doing the normal 1 pint and double red, I can say that with the double red I felt like I hadn't even given blood due to no fatigue or light headedness whereas with the normal 1 pint I still had that sluggish slightly lightheaded feeling.

After reading someone else's post earlier I thought it would be a good idea if blood drives would partner with movie theaters to let you see a free movie while you give blood. Someone with connections, make this happen!
AFM #676

Old November 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #37
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
After reading someone else's post earlier I thought it would be a good idea if blood drives would partner with movie theaters to let you see a free movie while you give blood. Someone with connections, make this happen!
OMG, that's genius!

You should email that idea to a blood donation group.

Edit: After-thought: having people hooked up to these blood machines in the dark probably isn't a good idea. I guess they could just have the lights on but dimmed during these events though.

Old November 28th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
OMG, that's genius!

Edit: After-thought: having people hooked up to these blood machines in the dark probably isn't a good idea. I guess they could just have the lights on but dimmed during these events though.
Haha or they could pull you from the audience into a separate lighted room with a TV hooked up so you can still see the movie!

Also when giving blood your not hooked up to a machine unless you do the double red, or some other specialized procedure. Most of the time they just stick a needle in your arm and let a bag fill up.
AFM #676

Old November 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #39
Heed

a good idea, but will never happen lol

Old November 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #40
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
OMG, that's genius!

Not a bad idea actually. The donor could stick his arm through a dark curtain with a hole in it so that nursing staff can see what they're doing and the theater will remain in the dark.