ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 24th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Help me keep them from totalling my bike!

So Geico came today and said I needed Cowl Lower and Front for $530.15, a new frame for $1,020.18, and a new radiator for $572. There was also labor and tax which was another $799.60 I found a radiator on oemninjaparts for $85 so will that help lower the price?

I spoke to the guy from Geico and he said he referred to this piece as the frame, which I believe is the fairing stay

This connection is also bent

There are also a few scratches on my exhaust(aftermarket), and my right side frame slider is bent backwards from landing on the right side so hard.

There are also light scratches on the right lower cowl and a black mark on my gas tank, should I not point these out to my progressive adjuster when he comes tomorrow to save the bike?
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
radiator: $60
fairing stay: $30

plastics are expensive though.

have them cut you a check for the max without totaling it then do the repairs yourself

Old April 24th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #3
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

get a check and fix it yourself, they may have to tag the title as salvage though, see what the laws are in your state.

Can always give them title and apply the proceeds to an R6. Jus sayin.

Old April 24th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
get a check and fix it yourself, they may have to tag the title as salvage though, see what the laws are in your state.

Can always give them title and apply the proceeds to an R6. Jus sayin.
I found 4 FZ6's and a few FZ6Rs for 3-4K on craigslist. One is bone stock with 5,000 miles! I might let them total it, buy it back and sell it to another guy.

Old April 24th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i like the fz6r

Old April 24th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Frame damage is what will make them want to total it. Personally I'd take the payout then sell my car and get myself a nicer car and a pregen, an f4i, or a 650 twin but that's just me. FZ6Rs are pretty nice, they're not my style but I can't deny that they're good bikes.

You can always let them total it, then buy it back and fix it up yourself with the remaining money though. If down the line you go to sell it just make sure there's a good mileage gap between the incident and the mileage at time of sale so you can prove that it runs without too many issues.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #7
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
How cool is the insurance guy? Mine actually asked me if I wanted my bike totaled or not...

Go on NADA and find out what they'd give you for your bike and see how you feel then.

Honestly I don't think anyone will give you a decent offer if you have a salvage title ninja 250 and try to sell it. You might get like $700, and I live in DC where bikes are pretty expensive. If you think you might sell it down the line anyway, I'd let them total it, hang onto the cash, and use it for the bike you want in November when bikes are cheap. If you can deal with not riding for a season. Or take the money and buy a cheap pre-gen or fixer upper so you can ride this season, and then you'll still have some cash when you wanna buy a new bike. That's what I would do anyway. Either way you win, you get to keep your bike or you get some ca$h!
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
How cool is the insurance guy? Mine actually asked me if I wanted my bike totaled or not...

Go on NADA and find out what they'd give you for your bike and see how you feel then.

Honestly I don't think anyone will give you a decent offer if you have a salvage title ninja 250 and try to sell it. You might get like $700, and I live in DC where bikes are pretty expensive. If you think you might sell it down the line anyway, I'd let them total it, hang onto the cash, and use it for the bike you want in November when bikes are cheap. If you can deal with not riding for a season. Or take the money and buy a cheap pre-gen or fixer upper so you can ride this season, and then you'll still have some cash when you wanna buy a new bike. That's what I would do anyway. Either way you win, you get to keep your bike or you get some ca$h!
The guy I bought the bike from said he would buy it for 1200!

Old April 24th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Hell I'd buy it from you for $1200.

*edit.... but not with a salvage title. lol
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #10
crazymadbastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
Hell I'd buy it from you for $1200.

*edit.... but not with a salvage title. lol
bottom feeder! trying to flip that bike?

I would only buy a salvage title if I can register it hassle free and
get cheap and confirm no frame damage. The insurance companies
total these ninjettes like its going out of style. A lowside mostly is cosmetics typically and they just figure on new frames in case they dig in and then have to change frames anyway or have to deal with a relatively small loss.

My wife crashed my 32k 2 year old car and they wanted to spend $23,000 to fix it. I told them I would put a claim in for lost value and they caved in and totaled it, after finding more damage magically.

Just push back and know the laws if the adjuster acts out of line, most I have dealt with are reasonable.

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
bottom feeder! trying to flip that bike?

I would only buy a salvage title if I can register it hassle free and
get cheap and confirm no frame damage. The insurance companies
total these ninjettes like its going out of style. A lowside mostly is cosmetics typically and they just figure on new frames in case they dig in and then have to change frames anyway or have to deal with a relatively small loss.

My wife crashed my 32k 2 year old car and they wanted to spend $23,000 to fix it. I told them I would put a claim in for lost value and they caved in and totaled it, after finding more damage magically.

Just push back and know the laws if the adjuster acts out of line, most I have dealt with are reasonable.
I'm just 18, I have no idea how this is going to work. I know I spent 1,500 in accessories and that gets added into the value. I also know that y helmet should be replaced by them as well. I know average retail is about 2,500$ so if totaled I should get 3,900. Right?

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
I'm just 18, I have no idea how this is going to work. I know I spent 1,500 in accessories and that gets added into the value. I also know that y helmet should be replaced by them as well. I know average retail is about 2,500$ so if totaled I should get 3,900. Right?

Mods generally won't add much to the value.
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #13
crazymadbastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
Mods generally won't add much to the value.
I think you can add accessory coverage, and that is if you add it. I think.
I just roll with comprehensive, so if it catches fire, gets stolen - maybe hit a deer. I get paid.

To OP- see what the adjuster says and post back here.

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #14
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

I have comprehensive, collision, also up to 3k in accessory coverage.

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #15
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Some jackass spin his car out on the freeway and slammed into our 10 year old Camry. They said it was a total because the guy basically hit everything but the two doors on the right side. They ofered us a check for $1,800 and we promptly said FU. KBB says it's worth 4800 and we have three local listing all for over 4500 so we want 4800. After 8 and 20,000 miles months of driving a car that was technically owned by the insurance company they handed us a check for $4500. At first we stressed but then I realized the car was still fine to drive and we could do so free of depreciation since the clock had stopped at the date of the accident. they couldn't take possession of it till they settled their debt with us so we kept their hand tied till we got what we wanted.

If you can ride the bike with no fairings then you should be able to continue doing so till they give you the true full value of whats its worth or just store it. If your in a hurry to get your money out of them then they will use your age/experience and desperation to take advantage of you.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #16
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Didn't know you could get accessory coverage, I need to look into that.
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #17
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
Didn't know you could get accessory coverage, I need to look into that.
It's part of basic coverage with progressive starting at 3000. It covers you're gear as well so if you toast at 1,500 dollar suit and a $500 helmet they'll cover that as well.

Old April 25th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #18
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

do what feels right
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #19
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Well... I have the coolest adjuster ever. He gave me 2,415 for the bike and 2,200 for the accessories. I kept the bike for a small fee of 675 plus the deductible. Looking at a street fighter and 3500. He found the most expensive values for all of my accessories and used those prices. Even the stuff I got off the free section here and some used items I picked up for 70% off their MSRP.

Old April 25th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
That's legit you got more than you could have sold it for AND you got to keep it to rebuild it
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #21
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Progressive was good to me as well with my 1000 and my gear. It just has to be motorcycle gear. Normal jeans they wouldnt not have covered but my drayko jeans were covered. Helmet, jacket, gloves etc as well. My rates went up this year but not by much, about 20%. I also bumped up my accessory coverage to 4,000.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #22
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Progressive was good to me as well with my 1000 and my gear. It just has to be motorcycle gear. Normal jeans they wouldnt not have covered but my drayko jeans were covered. Helmet, jacket, gloves etc as well. My rates went up this year but not by much, about 20%. I also bumped up my accessory coverage to 4,000.
How old are you and were you at fault? I'm 18 and this is a both at fault accident.

Old April 25th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #23
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Im 28, it was considered at fault. I lowsided on black ice. They told me that if it was August then maybe i had a leg to stand on but since it was march and cold that it was my fault. Live and learn
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote