ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM   #1
kkim

Special interest cages??? What do you drive?

I have always loved cars and through the years have owned quite a few interesting vehicles. My main objective when selecting cars was to look for cars that handled well for my daily commute to work.

I noticed most here on this site are older and probably have owned some very interesting cars in their lifetime, too, so what interesting cars do/have you owned?

These are a few of what I have been fortunate enough to own and thought I would share them with you.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kkim993/Cars#

So, post up some of yours... curious to see what cages you all own.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

UPDATE: We have gone on a bit of a Honda kick. I picked up a Honda Accord Hybrid for the commute car, and an Acura MDX for the "family car". Annie and I will probably trade off much more between these cars depending on who is doing what each day.

2014-mdx-exterior-in-forest-mist-black-back-2_hires.jpg user3_pic11569_1399881357.jpg

Annie and I were most recently driving Mazdas. Zoom Zoom. Here's the Speed3 out at Thunderhill earlier this year:

ms3_1.jpg ms3_2.jpg

Annie's non-minivan mommy-mobile:

cx9.jpg

But before the Mazdas, we had Acuras. She had a TL, I had a CL-S.

tl.jpg cl-s.jpg

Up until the Mazdas, we mostly owned Hondas. I really liked this '98 Prelude SH:

prelude.jpg

Ann used to have a '94 Camry V6. Nice long-distance car:

camry.jpg

Before the Prelude, I had a '95 Integra GS-R, but I can't find any pics of it. It looked just like this, but black:

integra.jpg

The CL-S was the only car I've owned with an automatic transmission, and I wouldn't be in a rush to get another; even if I'm in traffic from time to time, I still prefer a clutch pedal. Haven't owned a car (that was my daily-driver) yet with one of the newer generation of automated-manuals (VW's dual-clutch, for example), and maybe I'd enjoy those. The last few automatics we have owned (Ann's cars) have had the "manual" mode, but it's just not the same and seems gimmicky more than particularly fun or useful.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM   #3
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

I love those Mazdas! I love that dark Gray also. Urban gray is what Sub calls it.

and Kkim was the Mini Coop Fun or what??

We just got this last friday..

I get to haul around clients in this. weeeeeeee!!!
It makes your hair fly back in the Sharp Sport mode.. FREAKIN FUN!!!!!! 08 WRX STI Still relearning shifting. but it is real forgiving

I guess we will never grow up
Took some night photos....

Other cars. Currently Fj Crusier, Ford truck .

just traded in a WRX o7 and this is our 7th Subie. we tried them all except the Tribeca.SP?
Jeeps, Toy trucks we have a sickness...
zartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I

These are a few of what I have been fortunate enough to own and thought I would share them with you.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kkim993/Cars#

So, post up some of yours... curious to see what cages you all own.
Holy crap.... Love the Porsche! That body style started handling real well when they came out with the tripple link rear suspension

I have owned more bikes then cars.

69 Nova SS (my first 327 rebuild motor)
71 440 Challenger RT (my first BB rebuild)
73 454 Corvette (yeah worked on it too)
86 Camaro IROC-Z (tons done to it)

Have to scan pics of others, heres one of my camaro I bought back in APR86(still own).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camaro.JPG (111.9 KB, 32 views)

Last futzed with by HKr1; November 24th, 2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: rum spelling
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #5
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I've mostly owned boring Nissan Sentras and Toyota Corollas all my life after my first car, a 1972 VW Beetle, bit the dust. Last spring it was time to buy only my second new car ever and I settled on a Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5. After doing all the dutiful research and comparisons, it was the styling of the car and the nice interior that really won me over. Toyotas and Hondas seemed so plastic-y inside. The trend in the auto industry to phase out manual trasmissions was a problem too, as I really wanted a stick shift. My Coupe has more horsepower than a comparable Camry or Honda and is a real blast to drive. Passing in 3rd gear is like hitting "warp drive" on the Enterprise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08NissanAltimaCpe.jpg (71.5 KB, 13 views)
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
...after my first car, a 1972 VW Beetle, bit the dust.
My first car was a 1973 bright green Super Beetle! Barely had a reverse gear, and only survived a few months of my ownership, but I won't forget it.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 24th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #7
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I have a 2001 Celica GT 5-spd. Got it back in 2004 for only $9k with 50k miles. Great first car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1329.jpg (139.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1333.jpg (120.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Camping - 10.9.06 060.jpg (151.3 KB, 14 views)
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #8
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

kkim, nice cars you got there! My neighbor used to have a red NSX also. That thing was a beast and sounded great after we installed the supercharger!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1050.jpg (89.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1051.jpg (97.4 KB, 10 views)
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #9
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Well... I USED to have a 92 Supra. But it is no longer.

Here's some various pictures. Had a lot of work into it. 1JZ swap. Blitz Twin Turbo kit. Tein Coilovers. Recaro interior swap. etc.

Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #10
kkim

nice car, kuro... wha huppened to it?

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Some rain, slick road, a center divider, and that was that. Wasn't driving fast but those turbos kick pretty good when merging on the freeway... probably should have just waited the rain out at my friend's house.

I could have gotten another car and swapped everything over but I was a little fed up at the moment. I had just gotten it back from being fixed a couple months ago from an old lady that thought my Supra was a bumper car. So I said F it and just parted everything out...

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #12
kkim

yeah, sometimes when you put a lot of money, time and sweat into a project, duplicating it just doesn't feel the same and walking away is often times the smart thing to do.

besides, you wouldn't be into bikes if you had rebuilt it, right?

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #13
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Quote:

besides, you wouldn't be into bikes if you had rebuilt it, right?
Correct. I never got a bike because of spending money in maintenence/mods/gas etc. Although, in hindsight, I could have afforded it with the Supra. Especially if I was riding the bike more often. But then, the best part about the bike is I don't have to or need to ride it. Only when I feel like it. (and I've still managed to rack up 5500 miles so far )

My biggest thing was that I got burned out of the supra being my only car. I was capable of doing most all of my own work and never left me stranded, plus a good friend of mine runs a shop that specializes in Supras. I just got tired of having to plan time to work on it. Like if I needed to swap the turbos, I'd have to get to work friday and make sure to finish by sunday so I can go to work or school on monday... Got old after 4-5 years...

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
Correct. I never got a bike because of spending money in maintenence/mods/gas etc. Although, in hindsight, I could have afforded it with the Supra. Especially if I was riding the bike more often. But then, the best part about the bike is I don't have to or need to ride it. Only when I feel like it. (and I've still managed to rack up 5500 miles so far )

My biggest thing was that I got burned out of the supra being my only car. I was capable of doing most all of my own work and never left me stranded, plus a good friend of mine runs a shop that specializes in Supras. I just got tired of having to plan time to work on it. Like if I needed to swap the turbos, I'd have to get to work friday and make sure to finish by sunday so I can go to work or school on monday... Got old after 4-5 years...
yep, when a hobby or a part of the hobby starts to be work instead of fun, you need to seriously look at stopping it. I stopped riding dirt bikes for many years from being burned out from trying to get better and better and not succeeding to the level I wanted to ride. After awhile, riding wasn't fun and I had to step away from it for a few years to regain a healthy attitude towards riding offroad. I no longer race or have any desire to compete and love just futzing around and having fun on dirt roads and trails.

Old November 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #15
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Wow Kelly that is quite the collection you have had.

I'll have to get some pics of my other cars when I get home, but here is a teaser of my "cage", a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Most recent addition to the Subie, a 2007 WRX engine (blew the original at a track day)

camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
Some rain, slick road, a center divider, and that was that.
Don't mind me, just needed a good opportunity to use that smiley I just installed.

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #17
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Here is my first car at an autocross. Its a 1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 with about 175 raging horsepower

Here is my next car at another autocross. A 1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z. I got it when I graduated from high school. It was in pretty bad shapes, dents all around, bad paint, missing wheel, missing door, etc. It has a 350TPI with LT4 Hot Cam, 10:1 Forged Pistons, and mildly ported heads. Probably around 320 HP. It also has a lot of suspension mods. It is pretty uncomfortable for everyday driving as there are no bushings left in the suspension (except the polyurethene in the lower front control arms, everything else is rod ends)

And at a track day at Summit Point in WV.

And the two together (the 85 had been in storage for 2 years and is pretty dirty)

I am fixing a couple things that are wrong with the 88 this winter and selling it in the spring. Then I will start working on the 85. I won't ever get rid of that car

Old November 25th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #18
camaroz1985

I almost forgot these guys. The 4 cars I built while in school. Formula SAE cars.

Freshman Year 2004: 301 lbs. Yamaha YZ426 engine, with electric start, and custom fuel injection. Swing arm rear axle. Lightest car ever at US competition. (Was cannibalized for parts, and now what's left resides in my basement).

And one of the shirts we had made. It was a hit with the competition.

Sophmore Year 2005: 356 lbs. Yamaha WR450F engine, custom fuel injection. Swing arm rear axle. Carbon Fiber Monocoque made using leftover carbon from the X-33 experimental space shuttle. We used the autoclave at Vermont Composites where they make the carbon fenders for the new Z06.

Junior Year 2006: 336 lbs. Yamaha WR450F engine, custom fuel injection. Cut and fold carbon fiber monocoque (not autoclave needed, formed from one large carbon panel) Carbon fiber flexure suspension (similar to F1 but they use titanium)

Senior Year 2007: 344 lbs. Yamaha WR450F engine, custom fuel injection. Cut and fodl carbon fiber moncoque. Carbon fiber flexure suspension. An evolution of 2006 with improved reliability, ergonomics, quality, and engine flexibility.

Me autocrossing in CA

Manuevering the car into position for the group picture (that's me at the wheel)

The 2006 and 2007 cars together after we returned from CA

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #19
jdesiano1
Stealth like Ninja, Lol

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): Red 2008 250

you can't see it to much but it is an 2008 Black dodge Charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 083.jpg (177.2 KB, 30 views)
jdesiano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #20
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
. It also has a lot of suspension mods. It is pretty uncomfortable for everyday driving as there are no bushings left in the suspension (except the polyurethene in the lower front control arms, everything else is rod ends)
Cool pics! Think the road racing springs(900lbs per inch) & bilstiens makes for the hash ride on mine. Rod ends seemed to really help the suspension, keeps everything from binding up. You should look into Global West Suspension's Del-a-lum front a-arm bushings. They are freaking awesome, night and day compared to urethene ones

Old December 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #21
sleepymike
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

wow you guys have nice rides, this is my truck

sleepymike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #22
Panocha Rider
Da Rider

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Well i have had several cars over the years but this is one that has been in the family (dad got it for my mom) from the start, brand new 1981 Crovette. I have big plans for this puppy... unless the man himself (Chip Foose) shows up at my house to do it, this will be a lonng time in the making. Here she is :

Old December 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #23
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Kelly, ahhhhhh.... the sweet silver 993 Bet you miss it, eh?

That Subi rally car is sweeeeeeet

Still have my 993 Cab. Would be hard to part with her

Wasn't so hard to part with the Stradale, though. Talk about freakin stress syndrome for rock chips every time I took it out. I have more than a few gray hairs from owning that thing for 2 years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porsche.jpg (82.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg strad.jpg (44.0 KB, 64 views)

Old December 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #24
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
Kelly, ahhhhhh.... the sweet silver 993 Bet you miss it, eh?

That Subi rally car is sweeeeeeet

Still have my 993 Cab. Would be hard to part with her

Wasn't so hard to part with the Stradale, though. Talk about freakin stress syndrome for rock chips every time I took it out. I have more than a few gray hairs from owning that thing for 2 years
Richard... I had actually forgot that the 993 was the medium that you and I had met. Good times, eh??

Yes, I miss that car... but here on Kauai, it was too much car to be upkept like it should be. I'm very thankful it went to a great new owner.

Glad you still have the cab... must be the perfect car for SoCal. I'm so sorry I never made it up there when you had the Stradale. I would have loved to have had a chance to sample driving one. That is still one car I would like to own one day.

I have always had an attraction to Ferraris and the Stradale is one that I was actively seeking about the same time you had yours. To me, Ferraris were always supposed to be red, but after seeing the car you had, I knew that if I ever bought a Stradale, it had to be yellow. That car was gorgeous!

Old December 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #25
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

LOL, I remember reading about you thinking about putting the car on a ferry to the main island for corner balancing. Now, that's dedication! I can understand how even an oil change would be a major production on Kauai

I was always a Rossa Ferrari fan as well, but when I saw the Giallo, well jeez, I was weak in the knees. The car was just so damn gorgeous. To me, the best looking car ever made, inside and out. And the sounds.... wow. I put a level 3 Capristo on mine, which in itself was an absolute piece of art. The sound.... just incredible. Nothing like an over-square V8 at 8600 RPMs If you ever get a chance, Kelly, you won't be sorry

In the end, I thought it would be hard to part with it, but it wasn't. I'm not nearly money enough to truly enjoy (DRIVE) a car like this. For someone with the cash, this car should be flogged and flogged hard, within an inch of its life, to really get your money's worth

Old December 6th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #26
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
LOL, I remember reading about you thinking about putting the car on a ferry to the main island for corner balancing. Now, that's dedication! I can understand how even an oil change would be a major production on Kauai

I was always a Rossa Ferrari fan as well, but when I saw the Giallo, well jeez, I was weak in the knees. The car was just so damn gorgeous. To me, the best looking car ever made, inside and out. And the sounds.... wow. I put a level 3 Capristo on mine, which in itself was an absolute piece of art. The sound.... just incredible. Nothing like an over-square V8 at 8600 RPMs If you ever get a chance, Kelly, you won't be sorry

In the end, I thought it would be hard to part with it, but it wasn't. I'm not nearly money enough to truly enjoy (DRIVE) a car like this. For someone with the cash, this car should be flogged and flogged hard, within an inch of its life, to really get your money's worth
Thanks for your insight, Richard. Dreams are what makes the path you choose to walk down in life more interesting.

Old December 7th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #27
Dip In Traffic
ninjette.org newbie

Name: sydney

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki ninja 250

volvo s80..........MY SUV tows my boat and handles great
my girls red 04 mustang vert
blue 88 mustang fully worked with drag suspension
and corner carver cannondale hardtail for attacking the single track ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q 037.jpg (32.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 936745397_l.jpg (26.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 952406772_l.jpg (33.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg l_aa3aafef6c729114df0212cfa9beefc8.jpg (42.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg l_f0f5d5b718b75e8ec28f854674c40493.jpg (32.9 KB, 10 views)
Dip In Traffic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #28
Ducati916Senna
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250R, 00 Yamaha WR400F, 98 Ducati 916 Senna #233, 94 ZZR400

All I have are pics of the first import I ever owned. All chevy muscle cars before this 90 integra. Just sold it for five grand.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" Mark 8:36
Ducati916Senna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #29
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I had a 63 Corvette Coupe with a 327cu in 350 HP engine. Also a SAAB 850 Monte Carlo that was used in Rallyes. In 1971 I got an Electric Blue SAAB Sonett with a V4 and twin Webers that I autocrossed. Got married in 85 and got a Blazer (Wife had two kids and a two seater didn`t make it) We now have a 3/4 Ton Chevy Suburban 2WD with a 6.2L Turbo Diesel and a 95 Ford Escort Wagon. I much prefer riding my Ninja and my bicycles. I run a bicycle shop.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #30
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

dang kelly, i wish i owned an NSX!! Those are gorgeous! I wish my uncle would let me drive his...

Heres my 350z.

aloh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #31
rhequiem
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

My cage...
rhequiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #32
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

I am not a huge fan of cars, I am not baggin on them, I am just more of a truck and SUV guy. I drive a 1995 Grand cherokee.

This is my build thread and there are lots of pix from how I bought it to how it looks now. Yet again another expensive hobby.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15382
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #33
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

What's with 250 owners and Subarus? Can't you guys pick an original car?

So anyway, here's my "old" ride, an 07' STI:

and when I first got it:

I traded it about 1 1/2 months ago for an 08' STI:

A little stealthier...
Reddoak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #34
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Well, I have an '04 WRX, but for the life of me can't figure why you would trade a perfectly good-looking '07, in the correct color I might add, for an '08.....
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #35
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Well, I have an '04 WRX, but for the life of me can't figure why you would trade a perfectly good-looking '07, in the correct color I might add, for an '08.....
pics or you're lyin'!

Old December 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #36
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
pics or you're lyin'!
She had pics over on "another" forum. Well it was in the back ground

Old December 13th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #37
kkim

yeah... but that's not here.

Old December 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #38
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
yeah... but that's not here.
I went to look for it, but now her screen named changed to "Something different" < wont let me search posts

Old December 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #39
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

geez, you're a pain Kelly!

well, since it's my car's birthday today.... I've had her 5 years to the day!

This is about a month after I got her.... I'd gotten the hubby to help me get her all nice and shiny along with his that day....

noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #40
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
geez, you're a pain Kelly!

well, since it's my car's birthday today.... I've had her 5 years to the day!

This is about a month after I got her.... I'd gotten the hubby to help me get her all nice and shiny along with his that day....
You bug him every day? I gotta hood scoop, & you dont? LOL