ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 20th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #1
fallerd
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): SFV650, EX250J

'10 Ninja 250 Not Firing on One Cylinder...

I'm at my wits end with wrenching tonight. I bought a crashed, non-running 2010 ninja 250 (3900 miles), and have got it 3/4 running now.

When starting the bike, it will only start and then idle high (3k+ rpm) with the choke full on, and both cylinders will fire. If you back the choke off, the RPM's will drop, and below 2500 and the right cylinder will stop firing, and then the idle will drop below 1200 and the engine will stall and die. If at any point you open the throttle during any of this, the engine will bog and die (though if it is idling with choke above like 5k rpm, I can get more revs from the throttle, but it is very laggy in revving up and back down). From what I can tell, the left carb and cylinder function normally, but can't maintain idle and revs on its own (fiddling with the idle screw doesn't really change anything).

I've drained the tank and carbs and started with new 91 octane fuel. I've pulled the carbs a few times now, once to clean the jets and needles (no change), then once to clean the mix screws and re-set to default (2.5 twists out). Both carbs fill with fuel no problem. I have not synced the carbs, but I didn't get the impression that this would have that large of an effect on such a low-mileage, previously unmolested bike. I have also not pulled all of the tubes off the external parts of the carbs, but made sure that carb cleaner was coming out every internal hole that I could find related to the jets, and this wasn't mentioned in any carb cleaning articles on the Wiki.

I've pulled both spark plugs, tested the coils outside the engine for spark (all good), and swapped them with no change in running behavior. Airbox/filter seem to be normal.

Basically the bike has been running in this condition since I brought it home - everything I've done to it has slightly improved its running/starting, but nothing has solved it.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to things I may have missed or what to do next?

Things I haven't done yet: carb sync, valve adjustment/check, compression test (though no smoke comes out when it runs both cylinders at high idle, no oil in airbox).
fallerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2014, 05:31 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallerd View Post
.....I have not synced the carbs, but I didn't get the impression that this would have that large of an effect on such a low-mileage, previously unmolested bike..
Out of synch carbs will affect low speed idle.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2014, 06:05 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Is it "not firing" on one cylinder or "only firing" on one cylinder?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:54 AM   #4
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2014, 07:56 AM   #5
fallerd
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Yes.

Old October 21st, 2014, 07:57 AM   #6
fallerd
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Out of synch carbs will affect low speed idle.
I will definitely give that a shot then.

Old October 21st, 2014, 05:12 PM   #7
fallerd
ninjette.org newbie

update

I think I got it figured. Followed along this thread since it was very thorough and similar symptoms:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198990

Went back into the carbs and hit the valves on the floats hard with cleaner, then did the same thing to the choke pickup with cleaner and compressed air. After an idle adjustment, the bike seems to run "normally" now.

Will possibly still do a carb sync and adjust the mix screws, but just wanted to update the thread to basically close it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:59 AM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Thanks for keeping us updated. The more I read threads like this, the more I want to buy a "well, it started when I parked it!" bike. But then I realize I have a grand total of $0.00 to spend :P
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:12 AM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated. The more I read threads like this, the more I want to buy a "well, it started when I parked it!" bike. But then I realize I have a grand total of $0.00 to spend :P
someone just stole a triumph special six custom (its a one of a kind hand made, estimated million dollar car that the thief would have no way to sell) from a friend of my family... just goes to show you can have whatever you want if you try hard enough.

let me know if you see it hanging around anywhere... :P

Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #10
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
someone just stole a triumph special six custom (its a one of a kind hand made, estimated million dollar car that the thief would have no way to sell) from a friend of my family... just goes to show you can have whatever you want if you try hard enough.

let me know if you see it hanging around anywhere... :P
Jeez! No flash photography hahaha.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote