ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:03 AM   #1
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Looking at Suspension upgrades New Gen

I'd like to know if anyone has installed Intimidators in their forks and if so did it make a big difference? If you combined Sonic springs what was your weight and what improvement did it make?

I'm also looking at rear shock. I generally buy WP shocks I don't need a million settings that Ohlins offers..I don't ride anyone so once I set the Sag I'm done..

Looking for suggestions. Wardie

Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:11 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hi Larry,

A quick search or even checking at the bottom of this thread in the "similar threads" section should reveal most of your answers.

Many of us have swapped springs and installed emulators or intimidators with great success, as it improves the front tremendously. The rear shock is a bit more controversial. Some like the stock, some like the gsxr mod, some go for something more.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2015, 12:44 PM   #3
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Slightly different, but replacing the way-too-soft fork springs on my 500 made a huge difference. I still consider it the best mod I've done to the bike. I'm a bigger guy and went with .90kg/mm, which is actually still a tad soft for my weight. The NewGen isn't quite as undersprung, so it probably won't be quite as dramatic a change for you (depending on your weight).

The Intiminators also helped perfect the ride. However, they're more expensive, more work, and didn't help as much. I like them and recommend them for anyone looking to upgrade the forks' damping system (I still think they're a technologically superior solution over emulators), but springs should be done first (with priority based on how far off the stockers are from your weight).

I have a Penske I need to install one of these days, but dropping in a NewGen shock was a huge upgrade for me. The spring is 73% stiffer than the 500's stocker, and a much better match for my weight. After installing it, I could feel the rear end moving, but it felt controlled and appropriate. According to RT's calc, it's actually too stiff for many NewGen riders (good for about 215lb). Having experienced an issue with a modded shock that was binding, I can say that a too-stiff rear will rockinghorse and cause the front to do weird things. I doubt a heavy stock spring would be as bad as my binding shock, but if you happen to be tiny, I could see it causing noticeable issues.

Getting the spring rates to match your weight will allow the bike to bounce the proper amount. That makes it easier for the damping system to control that movement. When you've got weak springs, it moves too much and the damping system has to try to constrain all that extra flailing around. Changing the springs doesn't change the damping, but fixing bad spring rates can allow the damping to work better.

If you don't mind paying for an aftermarket shock with the proper spring, that's probably the easiest and best way to go. The GSXR shocks seem to have a variety of spring rates available, so if you want to be cheap (and do some modding) you can probably still find something close to what you need. I haven't seen much (but I haven't looked a ton either) from Kawasaki models that would be comparable. Kaw seems to use similar mounting setups for a lot of their shocks, so there would probably be less work in getting it to match the Ninjette's mounts, if you could find something from a different bike that fit the desired specs.

There seems to be some question over how accurate RT's calculations are for the rear spring rate. Buying a few GSXR shocks/springs might be a cheapish way to try out different spring rates and see what actually works well for you, as opposed to buying an aftermarket shock and multiple springs for it.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2015, 02:24 PM   #4
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

thanks guys

Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:31 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i got your suspenders upgrade right here

Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:53 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I personally went the way of cutting a pair of EX springs down to my settings, set sag, and installed a Zx600 rear shock in my PreGen.

The Intimidators are on my list, but I did change the fork oil to 15wt synthetic til then.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #7
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Hey, my RT springs were too soft so I have a complete set of .8kg/mm RT springs I can hand over for a good deal. If those are what you need
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #8
wardie
ninjette.org guru

high side

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i got your suspenders upgrade right here
I had to laugh at your low side Alex .S in your avatar. Two weeks ago I high sided on my CRF 100 that we run on kart tracks .

Ankle still sore, hip still sore

I've actually used those very suspenders to keep my dirt bike riding pants up

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the flames make you go faster! video of the highside? i love watching people crash