ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old July 3rd, 2015, 02:11 PM   #1
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Question What do you think of this video?

Interesting article:
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/met...249/story.html

Dude was riding a sportbike along a section of road I've been on many times. The posted limit on this road is generally 80 KPH (50 MPH) with a few sections that drop to 50 KPH. There are some intersections, and it passes through an industrial area with limited access, so there are quite a few trucks and cargo vans.

I've noted this video discussed in a few forums and news sites. IMHO his riding is needlessly risky, but I see some folks making the argument that the riding is only going fast when not near other cars, and rides more sedately when splitting through traffic.

What do you think? Am I in the wrong?

Old July 3rd, 2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Dozer
ninjette.org member

Name: CarL

Motorcycle(s): 2010 EX250, 2012 ZX-6R

I guess Americans and Canadians have a different perception of "riding recklessly".
Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

I don't think the police have a clue what is reckless or not, they just see LCD numbers to write down and their pay check each month.
Do they prosecute really dangerous people like tailgaters? No they don't, because they would have to make a judgement call and they can't be bothered with that, they just want numbers to write down.
Do they prosecute domestic violence? do they heck because, although the woman is a bloody pulp in the corner of the kitchen, once again it would require human judgement not just numbers to write down so no case.

Malicious and draconian enforcement of that one poxy and arbitrary law does more to destroy police public relations than anything else they do. And, no, I will never ever forgive you for prosecuting me for entering a 30 zone at 36 at midnight. It was totally and absolutely unnecessary court case but it taught me early on about police malice.

And if you Americans think it is bad there just wait until they introduce 20mph limits all over the place there like they are doing in the UK right now under Cameron.
One of the nice things I remember about my time in Ontario was the banning of speed cameras. People still drove sensibly without them.

(Sorry if I sounded angry, it just slipped out )

Last futzed with by Ninjinsky; July 3rd, 2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Linguistics adjusted for family viewing :)
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:08 PM   #4
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I have no issue with the contents of that video, he put himself in a position where it was safer to open the bike up and didn't buzz any cars or trucks in the process leaving plenty of room to avoid any potential hazardous situations caused by an interaction with another vehicle. Personally though this would be fairly boring to me as 200kph is roughly 120mph or so. Track is where it's at btw, and I just paid a bigger fine than that with a ticket under 100!

Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:30 PM   #5
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Yep this is a normal ride for me.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:41 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
....... What do you think? Am I in the wrong?
I believe that you are not wrong.

Legally: Rider is breaking the law: The purpose of any law is to subject human behavior to the governance of rules that are known by and apply equally to all citizens. Posted speed limit allows no room for the judgement of each individual regarding how much faster they can safely travel.

Physically: As the rate of speed of travel increases, both the distance to stop and the destructive energy of a potential crash increases squarely.

Riding safety: Rider is assuming that all the other users of that road will behave in a predictable manner, that no mechanical failure will happen and that no police is enforcing the speed limit. His riding strategy is poor and his rate of non-calculated risk is unnecessarily high.

Ethically: Rider took the risk of being caught by law enforcement while traveling 2.6 times faster than the speed limit. He did lose and he did the right thing by stopping and assuming his responsibility.

If you feel the urge to speed in public roads, rather than creating potential problems for others and for yourself, you need to carefully observe what is happening inside your mind and to consider safer and less expensive alternatives.

Either or not the posted speed limit of 50 mph for that section of the road is technically excessive, traveling that section at 130 mph is begging for trouble, IMHO.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 07:56 PM   #7
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

@Ninjinsky I agree with you
@Motofool I like the way of expressing things in the way you're doing
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

To put on my other hat Specifically the guy in the video does go beyond what is safe. He needs a lesson in something everyone on the autobahns is aware of and that is closing speeds. You are behind a truck at 60, you check your mirror and there is a dot way back you think it is okay to pull out and pass but that dot can be doing 100mph more than you.
When you are standing still how long does a vehicle doing 100mph take to reach you? er not long.
On the autobahn everyone is geared up for that, on a North American road they are not. As Captain Bugaloo says he does slow down to "normal" speeds around denser traffic but certainly if he did the high speed parts where I live his license would be in the shredder (compulsory ban at 30+ over)
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:27 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
first of all, his speedo is extremely out of calibration.

secondly, are you kidding me? reckless. hah. i'll show you reckless... uhhh wait, never mind i wont post anything.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:59 PM   #10
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Speeding? Yes. Reckless? Not in my books. He's pretty cautious in my books and slows down before passing other vehicles. There are asshats here in NJ that will blow by me (while I'm driving in my car) as if I were standing still. Mind you, I'm already going 70mph on a 65mph interstate and these guys will come flying by making it seem like I was standing still.

Old July 4th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
the video was rather boring up until the point he pulled over, then you just know he is all pissed off

Still reckless behavior thought despite seeing far far worst from videos quite often

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 07:01 AM   #12
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
As far as reckless riding goes, that's some of the safest recklessness I've seen. He does seem to be pretty smart about it. He's basically just going really fast when there isn't much traffic around.

But like others have said, he's assuming that others are going to be following the law and behaving predictably, while he's doing the exact opposite of that. 213kph is 132mph or 194fps. Every second, he's traveling 2/3 of a football field. At speeds like that, you don't have time to dwell on decisions. If something comes up, you have to react instantly. Cagers do enough dumb things that require quick reactions at half that speed.

Like Ninjinsky said, a big thing is that others are expecting fellow vehicles to be going the speed limit. They see a vehicle waaaaaay back in their mirror and decide it's safe to change lanes. Next thing you know, this bike is installed in their trunk.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #13
Xtina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2007 Gsxr 600, R6-sold :(

Dude was being an idiot.
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
He was reckless after the going through the intersection of the stop light, but nothing before or after that. Weaving in between cars in an intersection is a big no no.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote