ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:32 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

O-ring versus Non O-ring chain?

Hello. EX250J/250r 2009. Intake, exhaust, race cams, carb work, more aggressive gearing... many other mods.

Does anyone use a Non O-ring chain on their 250r? An older motorcycle racing friend I know recommends that I not use an O/X-ring chain.

His reasoning is that a non O-ring chain will cause the bike to be noticeably faster due to the reduced friction that a non O-ring chain will provide.

It's time for me to replace chain and both sprockets and I was just about to order a DID non O-ring chain, but it says on the product page of the manufacturers website..

Quote:
Notes- If you motorcycle came with an OEM O-ring or X-ring chain, DO NOT replace it with a standard non O-ring chain; you must replace it with a sealed chain of equal or greater strength.

STANDARD NON O-RING CHAINS ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTORCYCLES.
Can anyone share a little insight? I'd really like to get this figured out and get the parts ordered so I can hurry up and wait a week for them to arrive and get this bike back on the road for summer. It was 93*F the other day and sometimes it seems so hot that a quick ride around the block on the bike is the only way to cool off in between work projects.

If a non O-ring chain will produce a noticeable power gain, I'd love one. Then again DID recommends against it, then again -- a 250r is not exactly a high performance motorcycle. It's a souped up weed whacker engine connected to two wheels.

The two product applications listed for the non o-ring chain (2009 Kawasaki) appear to be a 450 four-stroke dirtbike, and a 500cc Vulcan. The non O-ring chain is rated just over 8000lb tensile strength. Seems thoroughly adequate for the power output of a 250r....

Help!

Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:39 PM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
This is an age old debate, the O-rings keep dirt out of the rollers, so you need to be diligent about cleaning the chain, and if it's a track only bike, you'll be changing it any way and not riding in bad weather or other dirty conditions etc.....

If your using it for street, use an O-ring, the amount of loss is minimal anyway IMHO.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
noticable power gains..... I doubt you would see 1hp on a dyno from a 250. If i remember correctly some of the pacific area racing guys were running 415 size non-oring chains, so smaller lighter non oring chain and they were maybe seeing 1hp? Can't remember exactly

The benefit is cost, non o ring chains can be had for a fraction of the cost of o/x ring what ever letter ring they come out with now. If you are the type of person who keeps up on chain maintenance and doesn't mind it then give a non o ring a shot, even if you have to replace it half as early you will still save $ because they are that much cheaper, oh you can get those power gains as well

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 06:19 AM   #4
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

Non O-ring chains wearout faster and have to be maintained more frequently. I doubt that you would feel a difference. It's one of those things that sounds good on paper but in practice doesn't produce.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 08:59 AM   #5
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

also the chain (in part) is a part of the unsprung mass. the lighter the chain, the more responsive the rear suspension.

O/X ring chains are ideal for the street, they deal with water and road grime with little or no worry. they are expensive.

standard roller chain is cheap. but you need to keep it clean and soak them in oil after cleaning.

you are looking for a tensile strength that matches the OEM, or slightly higher. a 530 Tsubaki will run 10,ooo to 12,ooo pounds... maybe the Sigma runs up to 15,ooo...

but for the 250, no reason at all to carry that. Just get the chain with the rated tensile at or near your OEM and keep it wet with oil... and you are good to go.

Old July 4th, 2015, 09:14 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
sorry, double post
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Just learn to ride it faster TC.

Unless you're trying to shave off .25 seconds off your lap time, it aint gunna matter in the end. We still be settin' lap records on da stock chain out my way.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #8
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Non-O-ring chains just aren't suitable for regular street use. Even on a race track the almost unmeasurable power loss to the rear wheel would not have any effect on any but the most skilled and experienced racers. These kind of chains require constant cleaning and lubing, and even then they wear out fast because there's just no way to keep road grit from getting into the rollers.

I've had great luck with EK O-ring chains. I just replaced the EK O-ring chain on my '06 after almost 29K miles. Here's what I got: 520SRO5-106.
I bought two back in 2012 for $39 shipped each, they're up a bit now but there's one for $50 shipped on Amazon right now.

I would recommend against the RK X-ring chain, I got one and it was junk after only 12K miles.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #9
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Having used both o-ring and non o-ring on my 250, I'd stick with the o-ring. Maintenance is soooo much easier on the o-ring.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #10
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Actually the power loss is surprising . Two ft lb of torque is a lot on a 13 ft lb bike. I could not believe it. But I did back to back tests on the dyno. Non o ring for racing. x ring for the street.

Old July 6th, 2015, 12:43 PM   #11
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Yeah I remember a dyno test in some magazine about a loss from chain doing a swap to a 520 on a 1000cc bike. Hold on let me get a link....

http://www.superstreetbike.com/how-t...er-mythbusters

Now I am a bit skeptical of the source and the numbers are not mind blowing but it was measurable none the less. On a 100+hp bike I am not sure you would notice 1 hp, on a 30 hp bike.......I bet you could tell. I know when MKlein3004 changed from a good 520 chain/sprocket setup (ERV3 and Renthal sprockets I think) to the 415 non oring setup it was VERY VERY noticeable.

On a race bike a swap to a light non-oring chain and lightweight sprocket makes sense. On a street bike ..... not worth it.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #12
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Couple things here:

1) only benefit I see of a non-o-ring chain is that you can take it off and put it in a solvent based parts cleaner. Then you can leave it in a bucket of oil and not worry about it. aka, maintenance.

2) You can feel the difference in a dirty vs clean bicycle chain. I see no reason why you wouldn't feel it on a motorcycle. No personal experience here though.

TC, just use the O-ring chain so much easier, so much less hassle. worth it. Get over yourself.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #13
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

You can make make up for the power loss by not have that second cheeseburger.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 6th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #14
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ and by taking a poop.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
^^ and by taking a poop.
Exactly

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 7th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #16
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I treat my motorcycle chain like a bicycle chain. I use dry lube on it. (BelRay) and clean it with break clean spray and compressed air. A non o ring chain is like a piece of rope. It just swings around. And lays in a pile. The O ring chain is much heavier and holds its shape. I can wright letters and it will stand up its so stiff.
For regular street riding. Or a low matinance bike. O ring chain is a must. Use 90 weight gear oil it will last forever.

Old July 7th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #17
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Gee, guys...

TC's done a lot of performance-enhancing mods to his two-fiddy. And if he can get a foot-pound or two more torque (which is significant) by simply installing a lower-friction chain, then why not go for it? TC recognizes the down side (more cleaning and maintenance, shorter life).

For a small displacement bike and for what he's trying to achieve, this modification seems like pretty good bang for the buck.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #18
Ghostt
in your machine

I apologize, I'm just busting chops.

As I stated in my original post, I agree with the idea for a track bike.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 7th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #19
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
I apologize, I'm just busting chops.

As I stated in my original post, I agree with the idea for a track bike.
Fair enough: we're all entitled to an opinion and everyone is being reasonably polite. This thread is more interesting than most of the others on this forum.

Being stuck on a Hawaiian island with a motorcycle is kind of like living on a track with a speed limit.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 7th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #20
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Being stuck on a Hawaiian island with a motorcycle is kind of like living on a track with a speed limit.
LOL
xXecuterXx2 is offline   Reply With Quote