ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #41
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

i think the main type of motorcycle tires that run with tubes are the ones with the metal spoke rims.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #42
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
i think the main type of motorcycle tires that run with tubes are the ones with the metal spoke rims.
thats what i thought too...but i've heard of running tubes with tubless tires but was never clear on the pro's of the idea. i assume it would prevent some kinds of rapid air loss incidents, maybe give you some time to react...what would that do to weight and balance? nothing i suppose hehe...

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #43
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

ok, i'm still in scrubbing in stage, but I can feel the difference. AHAHHHHAHHAH. It's a totally different bike. I highly recommend.

Old April 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #44
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Well I just got the call today that my tires are in. Now to see if they have an opening tomorrow to put them on or not. If not they should be able to fit me in on friday.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #45
sombo

Ok, now I'm confused. I got 110/90-16's for the front and the shop is telling me they won't fit cause they are too tall, they rub the fender. So I look at the other tire sizes and the only one listed at 80 is the 120/80-16. So I asked them won't that be too wide and they said they're not sure and that I might not be able to use the sport demon's. I told them that everyone uses them on this bike. Am I missing something there?

Old April 17th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #46
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

100/90-16 my friend.

That's what I have and also here:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ti...fit_the_250%3F

Old April 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #47
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido View Post
100/90-16 my friend.

That's what I have and also here:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ti...fit_the_250%3F
Yah, just figured that out after posting that with the help of nick (nmd003, thanks again for the chat on facebook). So the shop is ordering them and I will be w/o my bike till about Monday or Tuesday.

Old April 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #48
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

OOPS, you will have them soon enough!

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #49
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

was able to install my sport demons this past saturday. aside from a minor scare thinking i had ordered the wrong front size, both tires mounted without any major problems. i'd like to thank kkim for having me over and helping get those demons on the wheels. was alot of work, and i'm grateful to have had his support!
i got the 130/90 rear and 100/90 front. both tires are taller than the stock rubber that was on there. one thing i noticed after installing is that my centerstand no longer lifts the bike enuff off the ground:

demons.jpg

other than that, haven't experienced anything else cuz i haven't had the chance to ride cept for around the block due to weather. of course, there's nothing like new skins to enhance any ride! letcha know how it goes when i get her up in the twisties!

"with great grip, comes great responsibility!"

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #50
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

congrats on getting the new shoes! so what are you going to do with the center stand now? remove it? probably free up some weight, huh?

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #51
kkim

lol... it's always something, eh? put a piece of 2x8 down under where the center stand will land to lift the bike.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #52
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

or just let out all the air from your tires before you try using the center stand.

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #53
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
lol... it's always something, eh? put a piece of 2x8 down under where the center stand will land to lift the bike.
already found a piece of flat wood that does THAT thank you very much!

Quote:
or just let out all the air from your tires before you try using the center stand.
i had to do that to get the dang tire back on hellOOOooooo

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:01 AM   #54
Blue Ninja 250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Stanley

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
thats what i thought too...but i've heard of running tubes with tubless tires but was never clear on the pro's of the idea. i assume it would prevent some kinds of rapid air loss incidents, maybe give you some time to react...what would that do to weight and balance? nothing i suppose hehe...
Sorry that I've just read this tread and this might bit out of date. But for info. I'd read about this some where (which I can't remember), and the advice is never put a tube in a tubeless. This is because of the designed of the wheel/rim and the tubeless. You'll be endanger yourself by doing so without any advantages. Please do get advice from the dealer/manufacturer if you insist.
Blue Ninja 250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #55
komohana

i was able to get in a good ride today (other than just commuting to and from work) with the new sport demons.
of course, ANY new tire installation changes grippage, and these puppies definately do that! my ride to poipu gave me several opportunities to pull some high-g turns and the sport demons did not disappoint whatsoever. first thing i did was to initiate a 45 deg. turn thats just over 100 yards from my driveway. i did this cuz that turn with my old tires nearly had me eating pebbles one morning. the demons gobbled the turn no problem, taken at a higher entry speed than i did that almost-fateful morning. i'm sure i asked too much from my old tires that morning. today, the demons instilled confidence right off the bat, and i found myself powering out of turns with no traction slippage whatsoever.
the REAL test comes when i take these new 'shoes' for a hike up the hill in kkim's wake.
me and my demons will be looking forward to that.

Quote:
....so what are you going to do with the center stand now? remove it? probably free up some weight, huh?
am probably gonna keep the centerstand till i get an after market exhaust that will force me to take that guy off, ya know? is just to dang convient at the moment, and i dont have any front/rear wheel stands

yet

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:29 AM   #56
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Ok so it's about time that I give an update on the tires since I've had them on for three weeks.

I can honestly say that I felt the difference when I was on the bike pulling it out of the garage and didn't even turn it on. The taller tire in the front makes the bike feel allot more balanced. I don't know why Kawi didn't have these sizes stock. I notice a slight reduction in nosediving. My impression was that the feeling in the handlebars was allot more supersportish and less 250ish.

When I started, I had the pressure set to 32-32. I ran like this for a while and just yesterday I dropped the front pressure to 28 and kept the rear at 32. I like having it set at this. The bike just feels better. What I really need to do is check my hot and cold temps and see if its a 10% between hot and cold. I hope it is because the bike is feeling really good.

I've noticed that the tire itself is constructed more rigidly than the stock tires. This can be felt when slowing down to a stop light while downshifting. The vibration from the road and the engine is less absorbed by the tires and more into the chassis. I see no downfall with this and it is barely noticeable. I see this as an improvement.

The actual grip of the tire is much much better than stock. My confidence has increased due to this. I take turns faster than before and the brakes are more responsive as well. I believe that the taller tire in the front has given the bike a better weight distribution.

I do not ride highways other than to get to the twisties. So my analysis is based on frequent leaning. However, these tires have provided me a new problem. Which is for another thread.
jonb08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #57
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

How is the millage on the Sport Deamons for commuting? I'm trying to decide what tires to get and I spend most of my riding commuting. I've got it narrowed down to the following three...

Pirelli Sport Demons - I'm concerned about commuting wearing down the center too fast...
Bridgestone BT45 - Duel Compound rear for longer lasting center. My wife has these and likes them.
Metzler Lasertech - Not heard much about them, but I haven't heard anything BAD about them...

Any suggestions?
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #58
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

My front Sport Demons are still very good after 5k trip to california.
I did have about 40lbs of baggage behind me.(i weigh about 160)

Old June 30th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #59
mikedabike64
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

I have the demons as well great tire, confidence inspiring, honestly they feel as good to me as the qualifiers (from dunlop) I had on a sv650.
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM   #60
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

I just had mine installed this past weekend and I'm loving them. I had the stock Dunlops which didn't do well with leaning, imho. The SD are so round they practically lay into the lean. Road bumps are not as pronounced and they don't have the tendency to follow the grooves in the road.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM   #61
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

The stock dunlops would lean over, you would just wet your pants when you did lean over that far. They felt so bad and did nothing for making you feel "planted".

I have PSD's on mine, and I honestly can't see myself running another tire.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM   #62
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
was able to install my sport demons this past saturday. aside from a minor scare thinking i had ordered the wrong front size, both tires mounted without any major problems. i'd like to thank kkim for having me over and helping get those demons on the wheels. was alot of work, and i'm grateful to have had his support!
i got the 130/90 rear and 100/90 front. both tires are taller than the stock rubber that was on there. one thing i noticed after installing is that my centerstand no longer lifts the bike enuff off the ground:

Attachment 1616

other than that, haven't experienced anything else cuz i haven't had the chance to ride cept for around the block due to weather. of course, there's nothing like new skins to enhance any ride! letcha know how it goes when i get her up in the twisties!

"with great grip, comes great responsibility!"

Get a bike jack and pull off the centerstand. That is what I did. One less thing to scrape on the ground!

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM   #63
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

how much $ do psd's run ?

Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM   #64
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate-bama View Post
how much $ do psd's run ?
Very comparable to the stockers.

I think it was posted earlier in the thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
sport demons for 1st gen (16"):
swmoto: F 97.95/R 123.95
motorcycle superstore: F 84.99/R 116.99

Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:43 AM   #65
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

2 weeks ago, they were less than 195 with free shipping at motorcycle superstore. Also no taxes (for me anyway).

Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM   #66
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Just checked, and they are still at that price.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM   #67
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I just ordered a new sports demon for the rear. I paied 139$ Canadian...I guess it's not too bad since everything is so expensive here (ad 13% tax on that tire and mounting and I'm pretty close to 200$ for the rear only). My front still have some months to go!

Old July 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM   #68
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

the only problem (for me) with ordering tires online is then paying someone else to mount and balance them.. I ended up getting the 100/90/16 SD from teh front from a local bike place for like $180 with taxes, mounting and balancing dropping the bike off as is.

The difference in the bike was immediate.. the Pirelli feels YEARS BETTER than those Dunlops... now I have to replace teh rear and I'll be even happier..

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #69
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn99Kawi View Post
the only problem (for me) with ordering tires online is then paying someone else to mount and balance them.. I ended up getting the 100/90/16 SD from teh front from a local bike place for like $180 with taxes, mounting and balancing dropping the bike off as is.
How much did the place charge to mount/balance the tire? You may want to look around. I know the first place that I went to wanted $60/tire, second place was $28/tire. Also, there was no wait time at the second place.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #70
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Can anyone vouch for the SD in the rain?

Edit: I found this thread through the search function, but meant it for an 08.... although that probably doesn't matter.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM   #71
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Can anyone vouch for the SD in the rain?

Edit: I found this thread through the search function, but meant it for an 08.... although that probably doesn't matter.
as much as i have avoided wet road action here, i HAVE had the opportunity to ride the demons i have in some wet weather conditions and i LIKE them! at 2,000 mi. i ran some rain with warmed up rubber and found them stable and felt confident about being on the water.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM   #72
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I'm excited about the new rear SD I had put on while my exhaust was being tweaked! Those dunlops are crap!!! Can't wait to see the difference.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:53 AM   #73
sombo

I can 100% vouch for the SD's in the rain. I got caught in a massive downpour on the highway with high winds, puddles, haze from the rain (ya it sucked and happened in like 30 seconds) and never felt any loss of traction. I did feel wet and beaten to hell and back by the wind however, but the grip felt fine all the way to where I finally found shelter.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:56 AM   #74
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

I did a lot of riding on wet roads on my SD on my Katana, way better than the other tires I was running. I think it might have actually been the forerunner of the SD as I think they were just called Demons back then. Basically Pirelli makes great tires and pretty much Dunlop suck. I'll have Michelin Pilot Power on my Buell when I pick it up and get the front changed, not sure how many miles I'll get on it this fall, and they only fit the 08/09 Ninjettes (maybe), probably go back to Pirelli (Corsa III) after that since it is stocked at the Harley/Buell dealer.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #75
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Good to know.... I was wondering since the center grove is zig-zagged, instead of straight.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM   #76
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

It's made to channel the water away from the center and spit it out the edges.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #77
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

Pirelli Sport Demons

Anyone riding them? My rear tire is toast and Im ordering a new set this week. I think I'm going with the sport demons. What is your take on these demons?

Last futzed with by GeorgiaHooligan; September 12th, 2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: because
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #78
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Yes. Love them. Better than stock, and available in stock widths, which I prefer for very flickable nijette. Turn in super with them, grippy, but also not ridiculously soft so you'll still get wear. Prices reasonable, too.

On a track bike I'd go a different direction towards more expensive soft compound radial instead of bias ply. But a great choice for a street bike. Forum mod Alex also swears by them.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #79
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

Cool, just realized there are previous threads on this subject. Pretty sure Im going with the demons.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #80
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup. I liked them on the pre-gens and continue to like them on the new-gens.

/thread moved the pre-gen tech

/merged with other mongo sport demon thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote