ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Shopping for a 250: What could be the problem with these bikes?

So I am still on the shopping hunt for a 250. I recently met a mechanic and a potential Craigslist bike last Friday. The seller was asking $3000 for a bike the mechanic said was worth $2000. Needed new tires, handlebars were bent, the throttle stuck, fairing damage, cooling system leak, and oil appeared to have been filled to high. The mechanic was very knowledgeable and told me what to look out for in a bike. I learned a lot from just that one hour meeting about these bikes.

However, I have seen a lot of bikes with under 1000 miles. Couple questions:

1) Why would an owner sell their bike with such a low amount of miles?
2) What problems may be present with a bike with this low of miles?
3) How crucial is the break in period and what kind of problems could be present in a bike that was not properly broken into?

Here are two specific bikes I saw with low miles from the same dealer:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...X250-101519711
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...x250-102180028

They also have another 250 with more miles and is much better priced:
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...X250-101688090
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Typically the people that sell their 250's with that low of mileage fit into one of two categories.

1) they discovered riding is not for them, or something happened in their life that they just don't have the time for riding (it's a pass time instead of a passion sort of thing)

2) they are the type that many of us would consider squids in that they got bored with the 250 too quickly before truly learning how to ride the 250 to it's potential before moving up to what they feel is a "real" bike

I could be wrong, but 9 out of 10 times they fall into one of those two categories when selling a 250 with less than 1000 miles on it. Chances are there is nothing wrong with bike, only the rider.

As for "proper" break in methods. That is one that is in full debate as to what is the "proper" method. There are those that believe in the factory break in being proper. While others are in the hard break in camp, meaning to push the bike early on, vary the rpms a lot, and change the oil more frequently early on. I'm in the later camp as are many more these days. More and more people are starting to agree with what is commonly known as the "motoman" break in method. He suggests (and shows evidence, which is up to the individual if they accept it as proof or fakery) that the factory break in method actually does more harm than good on the grounds that by not pushing the engine enough early on you don't create a strong enough seal with the piston rings to the cylinder walls.

So for break in methods it's really up to the individual to decide what they want to believe is better for the engine in the long run.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Typically the people that sell their 250's with that low of mileage fit into one of two categories.

1) they discovered riding is not for them, or something happened in their life that they just don't have the time for riding (it's a pass time instead of a passion sort of thing)

2) they are the type that many of us would consider squids in that they got bored with the 250 too quickly before truly learning how to ride the 250 to it's potential before moving up to what they feel is a "real" bike

I could be wrong, but 9 out of 10 times they fall into one of those two categories when selling a 250 with less than 1000 miles on it. Chances are there is nothing wrong with bike, only the rider.
This is the exact kind of answer I was looking for. That makes the most sense. Thanks for the reply!
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

This is all very good advice... I notice the dealership you posted is very close to me. If I am available when you want to go looking I'm more than willing to try and help you out
Posted via Mobile Device
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote