ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #1
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

What do you guys think of the Honda Firestorm/Superhawk?

Hey guys, so someone offered me to trade a 2003 Honda Superhawk VTR1000 for my bike, opinions? If i did this, i would be making some money as well as getting much larger cc's. It has 21,000 miles on it though, is that alot? He states that its been taken care of good, so is that alot of miles for a bike? No, im not getting rid of my 2 fiddy...yet, just curious to see what people have to offer. This bike seems much better than the Buell Blast. Another question, why did Honda stop making this bike? Did it change names or something?

Oh and it will need a rejet because he just got a D&D exhaust put on it.
Heres the email that he sent me describing it

Quote:
I did one track day in October on it since my bike is a VFR800, a little less sporty than the VTR1000 Superhawk. I changed the oil and filter at that time and have only ridden about 400 or so miles since then just to keep the battery and gas fresh up here in Huntsville, Alabama. I lubed the chain, adjusted it, checked the front brake pad thickness. I actually love the bike and owned a 98 model 12 years ago but my girlfriend loves the comfort of the VFR800's back seat. I used to race a CBR1000 three years ago in the over 40 group. Can you send me a pic of your bike if you are still interested.
Here's the picture of it that he sent me.

What do yall think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0987.jpg (106.3 KB, 21 views)
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmorec61 View Post
Hey guys, so someone offered me to trade a 2003 Honda Superhawk VTR1000 for my bike, opinions? If i did this, i would be making some money as well as getting much larger cc's. It has 21,000 miles on it though, is that alot? He states that its been taken care of good, so is that alot of miles for a bike? No, im not getting rid of my 2 fiddy...yet, just curious to see what people have to offer. This bike seems much better than the Buell Blast. Another question, why did Honda stop making this bike? Did it change names or something?

Oh and it will need a rejet because he just got a D&D exhaust put on it.
Heres the email that he sent me describing it

What do yall think?
A Buell Blast is a bicycle compared to this.

That is NOT a lot of miles for a Honda V-twin. That being only if he took really good care of it. Great torque, free revving twin, run a little warm, looks cool (to the right people).

The VTR1000F is a great sport/tourable bike they made in the hayday of Honda's venture into the v-twin market.
If the bike checks out I dare you to get it. Matter of fact if you don't I think you should be banned It is a great bike and the sound and feel of the OHC Honda V-twin is not only incredible but it is addicting. Should you fall in love you would be a part of a pretty tight knit group of entusiasts around the world (like the N250!) There are parts available, about the same difficulty to get as N250, maybe a little easier. OEM parts are readily available. Maintenance is easy and cheap.

This is not a naked RC51 as some get confused. The SuperHawk is a street bike and the RC51 is a street-legal race bike. The V-twin concept is the same but there are many differences and the engineering used is very similar and make this a unique and fun bike. Think ganster, respected, SV1000.

Let me know if you need resources after you run and trade bikes. I know a few places where those SH/FS hermits hide out
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you're asking for opinions, my humble opinion is that you need riding experience before considering going with a significantly larger bike with oodles of torque. The ninja 250 is a great teaching bike because it's so forgiving. Learn from it; don't just trade it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #4
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

While I agree with ^^^^^^, the VTR is a gentle giant. It's also geared really well. With good judgement it would be very tame compared to anything else in the same cc range (standard or sport). IIRC HP is around 100/70tq.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Lol, still so confused about what you're doing...so you're posting it up claiming to be looking to trade...but you don't ever go through with it? That kinda sucks for those people...if you're not getting rid of it then what's the sense in it? What someone offers you today isn't going to equate to what someone will offer you tomorrow or whenever you are ready to get rid of it. Sorry that the ninjette seems to be losing it's spark for you.

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #6
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the info @DarC Ill be sure to keep you in mind IF it even happens.

Quote:
If you're asking for opinions, my humble opinion is that you need riding experience before considering going with a significantly larger bike with oodles of torque. The ninja 250 is a great teaching bike because it's so forgiving. Learn from it; don't just trade it.
I agree. Its definently going to have much more power and im wanting the power, but your right about learning. In the few months ive already had it however, i have learned ALOT from it

Quote:
Lol, still so confused about what you're doing...so you're posting it up claiming to be looking to trade...but you don't ever go through with it? That kinda sucks for those people...if you're not getting rid of it then what's the sense in it? What someone offers you today isn't going to equate to what someone will offer you tomorrow or whenever you are ready to get rid of it. Sorry that the ninjette seems to be losing it's spark for you.
Yeah i know its bad on them, and your right, but i just want to see what people are willing to offer, even if it is different the next day. And trust me, the ninjette still has plenty of spark for me Whats wrong with something more sparkier? Still, i love my 2fiddy, im probably not going to get rid of it, its a nice bike. An extremly nice one at that. But, whats wrong with a little more power, eh? I think im just used to a little more power, because ive had dirt bikes in the past that have had more power than this. But were talking dirt vs. street which are two completly different things so its not quite the same. Dont fret, i still love my ninjer

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Did a trackday where one of the guys rode a Superhawk. Huge carbs and small tank so not a long range bike. On the track if he got down to a half tank or less and was hard on the brakes the bike would sputter until the fuel sloshed back over the petcock. Cool bike for sure, not as cool as RC51, but cool.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #8
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmorec61 View Post
I agree. Its definently going to have much more power and im wanting the power, but your right about learning. In the few months ive already had it however, i have learned ALOT from it
Go borrow a larger bike from a friend for a week, then honestly ask yourself if you're ready for it. Yes you've learned a lot, but there's still a lot to learn, and sorry, but part of one season is not enough time. Pretty sure you're not the next Hayden.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

We've got a 1998 Superhawk in our stable (hubby's bike). We've had it for just about 10 years and have put a lot of miles on it.

There are many pros and cons to it depending on what you're looking for in a motorcycle. We tend to do a lot of sport-touring, so the following is based on that (i.e. no track days or that sort of thing).

Pros:
* Awesome engine. Great torque, good pull. The few times I've ridden it, I've been impressed with how easy the power is to control. That said, I was coming from 650s and 750s and had tens of thousands of miles of experience -- not said to brag, just clarifying that I didn't go right from a Ninjette to the Superhawk. But I do ride like a grandma and I'm the size of a hobbit and I didn't find the engine to be overly intimidating.

* Aesthetically pleasing. I think they're gorgeous.

* Great for day trips and tours where each individual day is pretty short (see ergonomics below).

* Awesome in the twists and does well on the interstate

* Very easy to work on if you like to do your own maintenance. I have horror stories about the '98 model carbs but Honda fixed them for '99+ so that's moot for you.

Cons:
* The gas mileage is for absolute crap. My husband has run out of gas along so many back highways that it's a running joke. It gets maybe 120 miles per tank. Maybe Honda improved that with the later year model, but I don't think so.

* The ergonomics are a little sketchy for long distance touring. Hubby put bar risers and rear sets on, which helped him a lot (he's 6'4", too, which has something to do with it) but he often complained of sore arms/back at the end of 250+ mile days, especially after we'd been on the road for multiple days in a row.

* Not a lot of options for hard luggage if you're into that sort of thing, though we did eventually find a Givi tail rack and bag that works well.

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #10
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Go borrow a larger bike from a friend for a week, then honestly ask yourself if you're ready for it. Yes you've learned a lot, but there's still a lot to learn, and sorry, but part of one season is not enough time. Pretty sure you're not the next Hayden.
One of my friends just bought a 09 Suzuki GS500, ill be trying that out soon. And i know part of a season isnt enough, but even so, it doesnt hurt to look.

Quote:
We've got a 1998 Superhawk in our stable (hubby's bike). We've had it for just about 10 years and have put a lot of miles on it.

There are many pros and cons to it depending on what you're looking for in a motorcycle. We tend to do a lot of sport-touring, so the following is based on that (i.e. no track days or that sort of thing).

Pros:
* Awesome engine. Great torque, good pull. The few times I've ridden it, I've been impressed with how easy the power is to control. That said, I was coming from 650s and 750s and had tens of thousands of miles of experience -- not said to brag, just clarifying that I didn't go right from a Ninjette to the Superhawk. But I do ride like a grandma and I'm the size of a hobbit and I didn't find the engine to be overly intimidating.

* Aesthetically pleasing. I think they're gorgeous.

* Great for day trips and tours where each individual day is pretty short (see ergonomics below).

* Awesome in the twists and does well on the interstate

* Very easy to work on if you like to do your own maintenance. I have horror stories about the '98 model carbs but Honda fixed them for '99+ so that's moot for you.

Cons:
* The gas mileage is for absolute crap. My husband has run out of gas along so many back highways that it's a running joke. It gets maybe 120 miles per tank. Maybe Honda improved that with the later year model, but I don't think so.

* The ergonomics are a little sketchy for long distance touring. Hubby put bar risers and rear sets on, which helped him a lot (he's 6'4", too, which has something to do with it) but he often complained of sore arms/back at the end of 250+ mile days, especially after we'd been on the road for multiple days in a row.

* Not a lot of options for hard luggage if you're into that sort of thing, though we did eventually find a Givi tail rack and bag that works well.
Seems like a bike i would like....EXCEPT the gas mileage...i bought this bike soley for gas mileage and i imagine it gets what, 30-40mpg? I'm suprised it doesnt get better knowing that its only a 2 cylinder. If it got better mpg it would be more appealing but thats what might keep me from it. I dont know though, we'll see As for ergonomics, it wont bother me too much, well i dont think i will. Unless i start going to the mountains every now and then which i would like to do... And luggage isnt really a issue for me.

But thanks for the information, helped out alot

Old February 27th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #11
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I had a 98 Superchicken converted to Cafe Racer, shavd off some weight from the OEM side mounted radiators:

It's a decent bike, rock solid engine, nothing stands out in performance, does everything well, but not spectacular.

I've never had any carb problem with my 98 Superhawk.

Fuel range is very much a joke, spirited riding may require refill under 100 mi. Fun to ride for sure.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
I had a 98 Superchicken converted to Cafe Racer, shavd off some weight from the OEM side mounted radiators:

It's a decent bike, rock solid engine, nothing stands out in performance, does everything well, but not spectacular.

Fuel range is very much a joke, spirited riding may require refill under 100 mi. Fun to ride for sure.
Looks more like a "Chickenhawk". I don't see the Cafe Racer in it.

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #13
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Looks more like a "Chickenhawk". I don't see the Cafe Racer in it.
See whatever you want, have you got any useful info about the bike to contribute to the thread?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #14
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
I'm so jealous!

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
See whatever you want, have you got any useful info about the bike to contribute to the thread?
I like the piece of wood you use with the kickstand. It looks sturdy and very professional.