ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #1
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Cool Installed: Carbon Fiber Taillight Housing

Since my original taillight housing was slightly less than up to the task of looking good I decided to go with something that would create a one piece housing and still keep my back seat if the wife wants to ride.

Review:

It is a pretty solid, well constructed part. It's thin, but strong. It appears to be a fiberglass core with a layer of carbon laid over top. Even so it seems pretty sturdy. It comes with a couple of directions but don't expect a step by step. The install is rather R&R of the old part.

Cost: $149 from Slingshot Racing. Free Shipping.

Cons: Everything needs a gripe. The bracket for the license plate is nice but it detracts from the super clean tail. Thankfully it is easily removable. It is also too narrow for my bolt holes in my Texas plate. Some may not have issues but I'd rather not drill up my plate (I have a plan....continue). I also needed to modify the metal bushings in the stock light bracket to allow the bolts to squeeze the piece together. This could be accomplished with some properly sized washers but I always look for a need to bust out the die grinder, cut-off wheel, or dremel.

Pros: Looks stellar on my black bike. It fits perfectly with no resizing of holes needed. The light sits perfectly centered around the circumference. Did I mention it looks great?

What am I going to do....Well I have decided to run the stock turns and tails for the next couple of days while I await my integrated tail. I will probably run the integrated tail with my custom license plate bracket minus the carbon bracket and I will plug the under tail holes (although not very noticeable) with body plugs. It will provide a much cleaner look. For inspection I will just toss the carbon bracket on and go from there. It takes maybe two minutes to swap. I am also adding quick connectors in the rear for the rear turns so that I can make the swap a quick and painless encounter.

I apologize for not doing a full blown DIY on this but it hardly needs one. I will be chronicling the modifications for the license plate so that should make nice FYI should anyone want to try it out. Oh yeah, pics: (please don't mind the filthy plastics and bike...we are in the middle of a sandstorm out here!)

I'll update with some outside pics where it actually looks a ton better once the gale force winds die down.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

You gonna put your plate on it?

Oh, you have a plan..... I need to get some reading glasses ....
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #3
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

looks real nice....
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #4
DarC
DUCEATR

Thanks, I've ordered an integrated light and plan to completely clean up the tail this weekend. First I have to do f/r sprocket and chain tonight.

Old May 7th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Too bad the integrated tail lights don't also add a tag light at the bottom.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #6
DarC
DUCEATR

I'm using bolt lights right now. I built my license plate bracket and have the tail completely shaved. Now I debating how to incorporate additional turn and brake lights without ruining the smoothness of the tail and while still looking as if it were done by the factory. I love the small 4-5" LED tape strips but I have yet to find a way to mount them without looking tacky or, pun not intended, stuck on. There is a set of nice looking lights available that are bright, good looking and just what I want but they are $$$$. I would possibly mount them where my passenger pegs used to be.

The more I obsess the closer I'll get.

Old November 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Cam0
ninjette.org member

Name: Cam

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Do you have any recent pics? it looks nice, and I'm looking at the same set up!
Cam0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2011, 09:34 PM   #8
DarC
DUCEATR

No recent pics..I don't own the bike anymore.....

Just get the setup, it looks great and is way better than the cheap 2pc. plastic part from the factory. Take extra time to really secure the tail light in there and you will never mess with it again, except to stare at it!
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.