Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:55 AM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Smile Beginner DSLR recommendations please

Hi Guys,

I've been using point and shoot cameras since 1.3mp was hot stuff. Anyways, I'd like to get into DSLR's and would like some suggestions. I'm looking for used stuff since I don't want to spend a whole lot on it at the moment. $300 would probably be my max and that should include a lens or two.

Please help a noob

Thanks,
Tri
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

For that price you're definitely shopping the used market. I'm currently using a Pentax K100D. One thing nice about the Pentax system is that the DSLR bodies will accept about any lens ever made for any Pentax camera including 35mm film cameras; Lenses are very common and much less expensive to procure than other brands such as Nikon and Canon. There's a Pentax forum every bit as useful as this one, http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ that includes a fairly thorough lens review database.

Be warned, LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) is a major problem for many users.

In all honesty, the biggest problem you will run into is learning curve. Most modern P&S cameras will produce better pictures in the lower 80% of the learning curve than most DSLRs. The main advantage to going full DSLR is being able to use specialized lenses to get shots that would be difficult or impossible with an all-in-one camera, and the ease of being able to tweak settings independently (though P&S cameras are getting better at this, too).

Other things to consider: Affordability of add-on flash units; Using standard batteries such as AA. (My Pentax uses ordinary AA-sized batteries. Currently I'm using Sanyo Eneloops but in a pinch I can buy batteries anywhere for cheap.) Standard recording media such as SDHC. I would steer clear of anything that didn't use SDHC, honestly.

Last futzed with by FrugalNinja250; December 22nd, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:19 AM   #3
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Just read up and I think I want to go with the Canon Rebel XT. I found one that's packaged with a camera for under $300 (if I can win the auction).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Rebel-XT-8...item3363969334
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:08 PM   #4
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
For that price you're definitely shopping the used market. I'm currently using a Pentax K100D. One thing nice about the Pentax system is that the DSLR bodies will accept about any lens ever made for any Pentax camera including 35mm film cameras; Lenses are very common and much less expensive to procure than other brands such as Nikon and Canon. There's a Pentax forum every bit as useful as this one, http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ that includes a fairly thorough lens review database.

Be warned, LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) is a major problem for many users.

In all honesty, the biggest problem you will run into is learning curve. Most modern P&S cameras will produce better pictures with less learning curve than most DSLRs. The main advantage to going full DSLR is being able to use specialized lenses to get shots that would be difficult or impossible with an all-in-one camera, and the ease of being able to tweak settings independently (though P&S cameras are getting better at this, too).

Other things to consider: Affordability of add-on flash units; Using standard batteries such as AA. (My Pentax uses ordinary AA-sized batteries. Currently I'm using Sanyo Eneloops but in a pinch I can buy batteries anywhere for cheap.) Standard recording media such as SDHC. I would steer clear of anything that didn't use SDHC, honestly.
+1 on everything Frugal said (aside from the Pentax, don't know anything about them). I bought a Nikon D70 when they were new. Love it, but it took me a long time to love it. I bought this big bad ass camera, and I didn't get one good picture for almost two years! It's kind of like racing: it's quite humbling when you realize that the camera ain't the limiting factor.

For me, learning about and practicing photo composition was the biggest step to taking better pics. And you can do that on any camera.
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM   #5
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

And check out www.bhphotovideo.com before buying. All kinds of good info and deals from people who really know what they are talking about.
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:29 PM   #6
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I love Nikons. Both my SLR and DSLR cameras are both Nikons. I have a Nikon D3000, which is a beginner model and I love it. My mother in law ended up getting a D5000 because she liked mine so much (it's the next higher model).

At the end of the day what really matters is the quality of the lens. Any lens that comes bundled with the body is good for beginners. Pretty much every body has the same features... I'm not too sure when it comes to DSLRs, but I know that is true for SLRs. I went with the D3000 because I am still retarded with light conditions and I like the ease of being able to use it as a point and shoot in a pinch.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #7
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
I love Nikons. Both my SLR and DSLR cameras are both Nikons. I have a Nikon D3000, which is a beginner model and I love it. My mother in law ended up getting a D5000 because she liked mine so much (it's the next higher model).

At the end of the day what really matters is the quality of the lens. Any lens that comes bundled with the body is good for beginners. Pretty much every body has the same features... I'm not too sure when it comes to DSLRs, but I know that is true for SLRs. I went with the D3000 because I am still retarded with light conditions and I like the ease of being able to use it as a point and shoot in a pinch.
I agree. Nikon all the way. I have a D-40 and absolutely love it. I see them all the time used for great prices too. Many people buy them thinking they want a DSLR but usually go back to a small digital camera they can carry in their pocket.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:40 PM   #8
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

With your budget, you're going to be looking at cameras that are about 2 generations ago in terms of DSLR technology and features. In that case I would stick with Canon or Nikon. The other brands (Pentax, Olympus, Sony) only started to catch up about a generation ago and today all the major brands make great cameras. The ebay auction you posted lists a 28-105 mm lens which give you more focal range than your typical 18 - 55 mm standard kit lens so that is a plus. You do lose a little bit on the wide angle which is not major unless you see yourself doing a lot of wide angle photography like landscapes and such. The standard 18 - 55 mm kit lens that usually ship with DSLR cameras perform adequately but are not considered high quality lenses.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when you buy your first DSLR, you are also buying into a system. Each brand such as Canon or Nikon, have a system of lenses and flashes to match up with their camera bodies. Canon and Nikon by far have the most extensive systems. After getting your first DSLR, if you end up getting serious about it you'll most likely change your camera body in a couple of years. The lenses you have though will out last your bodies and you can use them for a lifetime if you wish.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:21 PM   #9
arnette
ninjette.org member

Name: Brent

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White/Ebony SE

I went through a camera fetish a few years ago. I started with Canon b/c I found their lens family easier to understand. Then I picked up a Nikon and loved the ergonomics.

My advice: go Nikon or Canon. Pick up both cameras in your price range. Buy the one that's more comfortable to hold (grip, fit/finish, etc). If you go with either of these brands you get higher resale value, you can rent lenses easier, they have a better rep, info is easier to find for future lens purchases.

That being said, I found out that I'm more of a point and shoot kinda guy. I now have a Canon S90.
arnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:48 PM   #10
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 650R, '09 250R special edition

I have only had Nikon SLRs, and have been very happy with them. I know the others make great cameras, but can only give advice on Nikon-no experience with others. My first DSLR was a D100(6mp). It was good for it's day, but you'll need to alot of post processing to get spectacular images. My next one was a D50 also 6mp-wow! Much better images straight out of the camera. You can prolly get a used D50 for about $200. My sister and brother in law have a D40(6mp) and it's an awesome little camera. Now I have a D300(12mp). I didn't buy it 'cause it's 12 mega pixels-6 made a great 11X14. I got it because it has more features for the intermediate/advanced photographer, such as 6 frames per second, depth of field preview, and will meter with the old manual focus lenses. Just remember that the # of pixels is not that important-4mp is sufficient. It's the quality of the lens used and how good the camera is at processing the image. I have a 3.1mp point and shoot and the D50 at 1.5mp would blow it away! I made the 1.5mp image into a 8X10. Up close you could see pixellation, but hanging on the wall a few feet from you, you'd never know it was a lo res image. And it was shot with a manual focus lens that was about 25-30 years old. Don't think that you have to have the latest camera gear to get good images-that's bull. When I was shooting 35mm film until 2007, I made many spectular images(many on slide film)with a Nikon FG that was made in the early or mid 80s. If my D300 is still working in 10 years, I'll still be shooting with it. If it gives you the images you want, it will never be obselete-until it dies, that is.

My advice-if you want a Nikon, maybe get a used D40 or D50. And as for lenses, the 18-55 is a great little general purpose lens. I have the 18-70. It offers a little more zoom capability and better build quality. You can get a used 18-70 for a good price.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:08 PM   #11
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Just read up and I think I want to go with the Canon Rebel XT. I found one that's packaged with a camera for under $300 (if I can win the auction).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Rebel-XT-8...item3363969334
Hope you won the auction... I think the XT is a great camera to start with. Even right outta the box the thing shot great photos... although the 35mm lens that came with the camera wasnt the greatest... with a UV filter the colors just pop... dont be taken in by all the hoopla about mega pixels... the average user will likely not be taking advantage of these 18-20+ mega pixel DSLR's. You can in some cases shoot better quality photos from a 8 mega pixel camera than say a 18 mega pixel camera... anyway, if your getting into photography with minimal knowledge about DSLR's... with a little study and practice the XT will most definitely prove itself a fun and worthy buddy to take along for every photo op...
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #12
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Just thought I'd update. I found an awesome deal today and went ahead and purchased it. I got a Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S and it comes with two lenses ; the EF-S 18-55mm IS Refurbished and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom. It also comes with a canon camera bag and 2gb memory card. It's a refurbished unit, but I purchased it directly from Canon USA. Out the door price with shipping and taxes is $677.50

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_276753_-1

I can't wait to get it in.

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #13
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Nikon or Cannon. That is the only way to go. I prefer Nikon myself.

Oh, and good luck on the purchase. Hope it works out for you all.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #14
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I'm a Nikon guy myself as well, shoot a D90 -- though it's far too nice for my skill-level to be entirely honest, but I really like Pentax cameras, the KX in particular.. For the price, they're a very good value. They make for a very good pro-sumer DSLR. Might be out of your range, though.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #15
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Nikon all the way. Im shooting a d60, and i have the 18-55vr, 55-200vr, and the 55-300vr. This combination of lenses allows me to get just about any shot i need. Ive shot anything from wedding photography to the Air Force Thunderbirds.

Take the time to learn how to use the camera, put it in manual mode, and leave it there till you do. Learning f/stops and shutter speeds is what makes the dslr the way to go for photography. You get so much more control with your pictures than a point and shoot will ever give you.

You can see some samples of what is capable with a nikon on my site.

http://bdavisonphoto.blogspot.com
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #16
leed
ninjette.org sage

To add:

Don't look so much about pixels.. Pixels are pretty overrated once you get to a certain size, especially if you're not planning on making huge poster prints. What you will begin to be more concerned with is glass. Cheap glass = cheap shot. Which equates to 'cheap lens' = cheap glass.

Either way, take lot's of pictures once you get into it. You'll learn to evaluate your setup better and make quicker guesstimations on your shots. I've personally been pretty bad, locked with schoolwork and work, but I still manage to get some good shots.

To stand for Nikon and their glass:

70mm fixed. (50mm for SLR)
A wheel I laced over winter.

I forgot what I shot this with.. But if I recall, it was a 75-200? Or something...
Bahai temple in Evanston -- shot from a moving car is the best part!

This is with a D50, and probably a 18-75

D50 again, with a not so good 50-300 I think.. And someone else using the camera.

Ok, I'm done with pictures, I swear.

But seriously, take lots of pictures. Be creative, play around and experiment. You'll figure out what works and what doesn't. Some books are useful too. You've got a lot to learn, so start reading!

Oh! And lastly: Here is a good website for camera reviews: www.dpreview.com

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #17
money
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Here's another vote for Nikon. I've got a D40 that I've been very happy with. I was lucky enough to get it used from a photographer friend who was upgrading.

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #18
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Nikon person myself but great choice in picking up the Canon EOS Rebel T1i. It was one of the better all-around entry level DSLRs from a couple of generations ago
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #19
leed
ninjette.org sage

I just realized 1. How old this thread was, and 2. that you already bought one. Canon is good stuff, I just hate how it's backwards from Nikon -- it always throws me off when I shoot with them.

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #20
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

It's all good. It's still informative and may help other people decide as well . I really like the shot you took of the Bahai Temple too.

Old June 12th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #21
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

The Canon vs Nikon debate has been beat to death. Anyone who says with conviction that one is worlds better than the other is dumb. They both make great cameras and equipment. they both have good lenses and bad. I happen to prefer Canon between the two, and think that they offer better bang for the buck.

That said, Pentax also makes an excellent camera and glass. They go under the radar in the US, but they're industry leaders in Europe and Asia.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote