ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM   #1
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

when you bought your bike...did you ride it back?

my wife drove me and rode the bike back for 175 miles...

riding a new to me 07 cbr600 was a strange feeling...guys i thought i was going to drop it several times around town specially on turns...and then on to the freeway for over 150 miles...

i was used to the soft handling and upright riding position of the ninja250...needless to say i was hurting when i got home, wrists, neck, back...but boy with several push ups and sit ups everyday and over 4,000 miles later i find the riding position and the firm ride to be more and more to my liking...and the ninja pouting in the garage...

so how was your first ride on your bike?...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Nas
ninjette.org member

Name: Denis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

It was way too short!!! I had to go to work so my first ride was probably 30 mins, and then all day I kept using every excuse to come up to the window to check out my Ninja

Nas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I can relate to your experience gitoy. I bought my gixxer in the middle of farm land and had to ride it all 150 kms home (on the freeway no less). It was my first time on a supersport and the riding position was completely foreign haha. The sheer weight and size of the bike was also something I wasn't used to...damn near dropped the thing at the first stop sign. The first turn I took on that bike was this wide, sweeping left-handed u-turn thing. LOL that was scary as hell....

But when I opened that bike up a little in 2nd gear on the on-ramp to the freeway...the tunnel vision that accompanied the surge of speed was unreal. Totally worth it.

Edit: For the record, I had the PO of my ninja ride it to my house when I bought that bike.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM   #4
slolane
Motorcyclist

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

I usually ride em back, purchased a few that were a couple of states away that I trailered back. Several friends purchased first bikes and ask me to ride em home for them... I usually try to talk them into letting me bring my trailer (if it's a planned purchase) as I don't like to ride anyones bike but my own but I have a few times.

175 mile ride back is pretty far for the first ride.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

i didn't ride my bike back, my fiance did...only cuz i had to get on the freeway and that was not an option for me. he hated it though, cuz he had to keep it under 7K rpm and the fact that its lowered annoyed him. But i made sure i thanked him after

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

When I bought mine I spent 5 minutes riding around a little "test track" behind the dealer. Then I rode to a private park with a nice hilly, curvy circumference drive. After that I rode home for a total of ~30 miles. It was my first ride in 25 years and it felt like I'd never had a break.*

*Except for the first run up to speed on the only short stretch of highway of the trip. 1st-2nd-3rd-4th "HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS! I'M FREAKING FLYING!". When I looked down and saw that I was only going 45 I was convinced my speedometer was wrong.
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM   #7
nexus
ninjee two-fiddie

Name: Chance

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I didn't ride b/c it was too far and all freeway...Put it in the truck bed and hauled it back.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I bought mine in West Virginia and I rode it back... 600 miles to Georgia!

I never rode on the street before that (MSF course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
I didn't ride b/c it was too far and all freeway...Put it in the truck bed and hauled it back.
How far was "too far?"
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Lucky for me the Kawi dealer was only 5 miles or so from my house at the time. So I very carefully rode it home, nearly dropping it only once, and got a ride back to the dealer later to pick up my Jeep.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:46 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Lucky for me the Kawi dealer was only 5 miles or so from my house at the time. So I very carefully rode it home, nearly dropping it only once, and got a ride back to the dealer later to pick up my Jeep.
Should've gotten a ride there in the first place and then they could've followed you back in case something happened. My ride stayed in WV to visit family when I had to be at work the next day in GA, so I didn't have that luxury on my trip back.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM   #11
cinjette10
ninjette.org member

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Special Edition

I had never rode before so my husband rode it home for me, he rides a gsxr750 so he said he was pretty embarrassed to have to ride it home. I really think he's a closet ninja fan now because he has rode it a couple of times since then.
cinjette10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:21 PM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

When I got the Ninja, my wife drove me to the dealer and I rode the bike home. It was a 47 mile ride and I enjoyed every bit of it.

When I bought the NT-700, I rode the Ninja to the dealer and we transferred the plate and I rode the Honda home--30 miles. On the way home, it was dark, I saw four deer in the road as I rounded a curve. I immediately discovered that the brakes on the Honda were superb. After a quick underwear change, I went on. That was quite an experience on a new and unfamiliar bike. We live and learn.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:41 PM   #13
sergemoat
ninjette.org member

Name: serge

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I rode around in the parking lot at the dealership for a while, then rode bout 10 miles home after I bought it. I took the MSF course bout 6 or 7 years before that and that was my only riding experience at the time. Stalled a few times in intersections but I made it home safe.
sergemoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM   #14
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy250r View Post
*Except for the first run up to speed on the only short stretch of highway of the trip. 1st-2nd-3rd-4th "HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS! I'M FREAKING FLYING!". When I looked down and saw that I was only going 45 I was convinced my speedometer was wrong.

I had the same feeling when I rode mine home!!!! 40 miles. I didnt want to take the freeway, so I made it home the whole way on surface streets. It took forever, and I didnt even ride it home till a week later. I rode it straight from the seller to the shop to get everything checked over just to be sure i wasn't riding a timebomb
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM   #15
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

I didn't. I couln't due to me not having my temps/L's to ride a bike. I had the shop bring me the bike. Even when they droped it off, I didn't want to ride it. Lol It only have 0.9 miles on the bike. I have never bought anything new in my life. I did not want to break it in... Now is has 6k on it. Haha

The next bike that I buy, I will ride it back home for sure!

Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Ninja_Moose
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I rode mine home, but it was only a few miles from my place. It was very cold in February though.
Ninja_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM   #17
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

I Gave my girlfriend a crash-course lesson on how to drive my 5-speed Accord, drove it 220 miles to Virginia Beach, paid cash for my new-to-me 2001 Ninja 250 and followed my girlfriend home, since she had the GPS. Definitely a memory I won't forget. The sun was setting over the harbor, the smell of the salt air, and my new bike underneath me. No better maiden voyage than that!

Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:28 PM   #18
arnette
ninjette.org member

Name: Brent

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White/Ebony SE

Yep!

Drove about 15mi from the dealer to my house going 45-50 mph on a main road (avoided the highway). Doesn't seem like a big deal now, but it was my first time on a bike since the MSF class 6 mos. prior.

I'm fairly certain I rode the rear brake on accident just about the entire way. doh!
arnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #19
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

i rode mine back local way following my wife in her car because im too excited to remember the way home

Old March 4th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #20
shoe
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Shuo

Of course I did!

Picked it up right when the dealership opened at 9am and was suppose to go back to work. I called the office to tell them I was on my way back and my boss said, "Its a beautiful day and its kind of slow. Take the day off... I'm sure you're itching to ride it." I had the biggest grin on my face taking the back roads home!
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #21
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

My bike was my first bike. With zero miles under my belt and 4 months since the MSF I wasn't about to ride it 60+ miles through city traffic. Besides, it'd been sitting outside for several years and would barely start, let alone run.

Now that I've got riding experience I'd consider riding one home, but only if I had some way to verify that critical maintenance was up to date.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #22
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

250r came home in the back of the truck. Once home, I rode it over to the school parking lot. Then the wife took over from there
Looking back, I dont remember if she rode it back to the house that day or not.....??
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #23
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

Back of a truck for me. My bike had been sitting for a few years. Dead battery and it wouldn't stay on.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #24
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 07 XL1200L

when i bought the ninjette, i did not. well, a young man was selling it cheap with a broken chain. so i told him that i would buy it if he would bring it down to me. so he got his roommate to use his truck to bring it down to my place - 30 miles away.

other bikes... some i did, some i didn't. it all depends on the circumstances. if the seller is desperate, s/he will find a way to bring it down to you.
grandelatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #25
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

They put the plate on my bike and I pulled it out of the dealership. I didn't have any trouble at all on it. I felt a little scared because of the power but had no problems with tipping or feeling weird around turns. It actually felt way better around turns than the lil ninja did.

I did however stall it twice that day ... throttle on a 600 isnt as forgiving as the 250 was lol.

My 250 was brought home by a friend (less than 5 mile trip) because I didn't even have my permit at the time of purchase. I feel I would've had no problems though. As soon as I got my permit (same day actually) I went home after work and rode all evening.

Wv also doesn't have a law prohibiting riding on highway / freeway on a permit. You can ride anywhere a reg license person can, you just can't have passengers.

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #26
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

I didn't have a permit either when I bought my bike. I just made arrangements with the dealer to deliver it to my house the next day.

It gave me time to clear out my garage to make room for my new toy!

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #27
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

My Ninjette got trailered home. It was an unregistered private sale, so I had no plate to put on it, and then it sat in my driveway for weeks waiting for the seller's loan to get cleared, and to get the thing titled and registered. So frustrating! I remember putting the plate on the day I got it, and I rode up to a nice parking lot with some gentle inclines to practice on. After about 15 minutes of that, I was like, "Screw this!" and went on a nice 35-40mi ride that I often do on my bicycle. The hills were so much easier!
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #28
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Ninjette was delivered as it was a surprise from my wife. Rode the CBR home. All dirtbikes brought home on trailer, haha, but i did sell one mx bike to a kid who rode it back to his college frat house (about 8 miles) on a 4 lane state road and a 2 lane state road. Tragically he died a year later on an FJ1100 when he hit a car head on near his campus. Everytime I take that corner I think of him. Man - didn't mean to bring the thread down.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #29
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Name: Carine

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki marauder 250 2001 & Ninja 250R 2010

hello, im new here and I just bought a black ninja 250r 2010 yesturday. =)
Its still in the shop because they have to lower the seat so my feet can reach the floor.
My problem is, should I ride it back by myself? cause even after they lower the seat, my feet barely touch the ground.(im only 5feet tall) but Its not my first bike.

what should I do?
Cycy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #30
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycy View Post
hello, im new here and I just bought a black ninja 250r 2010 yesturday. =)
Its still in the shop because they have to lower the seat so my feet can reach the floor.
My problem is, should I ride it back by myself? cause even after they lower the seat, my feet barely touch the ground.(im only 5feet tall) but Its not my first bike.

what should I do?
Lower your seat? As in install a new seat for you or actually lower the bike via lowering link?

Also you should be fine as long as you can hold the bike up on one leg while stopped.

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #31
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
My Ninjette got trailered home. It was an unregistered private sale, so I had no plate to put on it, and then it sat in my driveway for weeks waiting for the seller's loan to get cleared, and to get the thing titled and registered. So frustrating! I remember putting the plate on the day I got it, and I rode up to a nice parking lot with some gentle inclines to practice on. After about 15 minutes of that, I was like, "Screw this!" and went on a nice 35-40mi ride that I often do on my bicycle. The hills were so much easier!
At some point you gotta ride it and theres only one way to learn how.. by doing it

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #32
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
Lower your seat? As in install a new seat for you or actually lower the bike via lowering link?

Also you should be fine as long as you can hold the bike up on one leg while stopped.
lower the bike via lowering link. =)
but im scared! what if i drop the bike!!!

I wish my legs could be a little more long..only my toes reach the ground

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #33
Flashmonkey

Quote:
what should I do?
If you have experience riding, and everything else is in order, I don't see why you shouldn't ride it home.

Edit: I just saw that you're from montreal. If there's still snow on the ground get it delivered hahaha.

Old March 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #34
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
If you have experience riding, and everything else is in order, I don't see why you shouldn't ride it home.

Edit: I just saw that you're from montreal. If there's still snow on the ground get it delivered hahaha.

I wish I could, but its not included
Its very cold here
, and when im cold, i lose concentration because I cant move properly

Old March 4th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #35
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

Quote:
lower the bike via lowering link. =)
but im scared! what if i drop the bike!!!

I wish my legs could be a little more long..only my toes reach the ground
in medieval times there was a device you can lie on with your arms and legs tied to stretch you out...i think they call it the rack...

maybe somebody could show a picture, i am sure it will work for you...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #36
davisw4089
ninjette.org member

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Hey I am New to this forum but i Plan on riding my bike 46 miles home from the dealer on tuesday
davisw4089 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #37
Ramli
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Hamairuddin

Sorry guys, i rode my bike for 10 miles only....
Ramli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #38
Raven
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX6R

Didn't ride the 250 home because I didn't have motorcycle permit until 2 weeks later. Rode my 6R home, but before that took it out into backroad and let her rip before arriving home. Such a unforgettable day.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #39
Flashmonkey

Quote:
I wish I could, but its not included
Its very cold here
, and when im cold, i lose concentration because I cant move properly
My concern lies with the salt on the road as well. Not only does it make turning more hazardous than normal...it's also salt

If you absolutely have to ride it home...wear thermal underwear. Since you're in quebec I fully expect you to have several pairs of those.

Old March 5th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #40
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Got it delivered so I could ride around my neighborhood instead of the highway for my first time, lol.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote