Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #1
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Looking for pant recommendation - specs inside

Had a minor fall today, posted in ride reports. Nothing big, but put an exclamation point on what I already knew -- riding in jeans really doesn't cut it. Here is what I'm looking for in a pant . . .

*Hot weather pants. Its never less than 80 degrees here.
*Knee, hip and maybe even tailbone protection.
*Adjustable a bonus but not a necessity - I'm buying online and flexibility in sizing a plus.
*Could be worn off the bike and blend in a little - conservative styling.

Testimonials welcome. Anything I buy will be online - no local stores, so I'm hesitant to rely on marketing without talking to someone who has actually used the product. Motorcycle-superstore.com feedback helpul, but I'd love to add your thoughts to my research.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #2
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

If you're interested in overpants, stay away from the Joe Rocket Phoenix II's.

I wish I'd spent a few bucks more, and gotten something else.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #3
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT View Post

Thanks. I wear Rocket Phoenix 5 jacket and Phoenix 4 gloves, so I was looking at the pants. Nice to hear they may be lacking. (Honestly, the gloves aren't great, either.)

Old December 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
LegB4Wicket
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I own a pair of BMW City Pants 2. They are good for tooling around town and at lower speeds. They look great off the bike and you do not overheat wearing them in warmer weather (can also be worn over long johns when it's cooler). Plenty of pockets for storage and very comfortable. Not the cheapest out there but the quality is top shelf.

Here's another review with some stock pictures: http://billmuneio.com/wp/?p=1820

Last futzed with by LegB4Wicket; December 19th, 2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Silly typo
LegB4Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #5
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Thanks for the question. While it has probably been discussed at length, I am already thinking about next spring and how my current cold weather gear will be too hot.

have at it
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #6
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegB4Wicket View Post
I own a pair of BMW City Pants 2. They are good for tooling around town and at lower speeds. They look great off the bike and you do not overheat wearning them in warmer weather (can also be worn over long johns when it's cooler). Plenty of pockets for storage and very comfortable. Not the cheapest out there but the quality is top shelf.

Here's another review with some stock pictures: http://billmuneio.com/wp/?p=1820
THIS is why I'm a member of this site and put this question up. Hadn't seen these at the online stores I'd checked, and they look like just what I wanted. Styling is perfect, protection and quality great. Pricey, perhaps, but look to be worth it. If only they were a bit cooler . . .

Still open to other suggestions, but there is a leading contender. Here is video explaining pants for others interested:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old December 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I'd also suggest looking into strap on knee/shin armor which could help you out in a pinch. I've never had a good fitment with riding pants so I usually just wear strap on armor underneath whatever pants it is I'm riding with.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #8
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I'd also suggest looking into strap on knee/shin armor which could help you out in a pinch. I've never had a good fitment with riding pants so I usually just wear strap on armor underneath whatever pants it is I'm riding with.
You know, that is a great suggestion also. I could use them on the commute to work under my slacks without looking like a snowboarder with overpants or needing to change when I get to work. I like these: Icon Field Armor, and they are only $65. I think that b/c no hip or tailbone protection, or overall abrasion resistance, full pants still looking more attractive, but this is worth considering.

Old December 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #9
arnette
ninjette.org member

Name: Brent

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White/Ebony SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT View Post

Why do you say that?
arnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
You know, that is a great suggestion also. I could use them on the commute to work under my slacks without looking like a snowboarder with overpants or needing to change when I get to work. I like these: Icon Field Armor, and they are only $65. I think that b/c no hip or tailbone protection, or overall abrasion resistance, full pants still looking more attractive, but this is worth considering.
Full pants (that fit well) is the ideal...but more often than not, meeting the ideal is a PITA
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Anyone try the TourMaster Venture pants? I was looking at a pair on saturday. I've had good luck with my TourMaster jacket, and the pants can zip to the jacket.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #12
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Just pulled the trigger on the Icon Field Armor knee/shin pads. Also going to buy the BMW City Pants 2. My wife started to balk at spending $ on both, but I started talking about safety, the ability to play ball with the kids, and she caved like a Chinese coal mine.

Old December 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #13
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Just pulled the trigger on the Icon Field Armor knee/shin pads. Also going to buy the BMW City Pants 2. My wife started to balk at spending $ on both, but I started talking about safety, the ability to play ball with the kids, and she caved like a Chinese coal mine.
Tried to buy City 2 Pants, but couldn't. Called 6 different BMW authorized dealers, all refused to ship to military overseas address. Tried to explain that APO address is actually in US, and costs same as shipping in US, but best I could get was a $35 dollar extra shipping fee. Out of principle refused to pay.

Then tried to get Rev'it Mistrals - everywhere either was unable to help me size Rev'it's mystery EUR sizing, or charged and arm and a leg for APO shipping, or both.

Then, I actually pressed "Submit Order" button on a nice pair of vented Alpinstars, only to get an "out of stock" email. What does a guy have to do to buy some nice summer pants?

In the end, I admitted defeat despite best intentions to buy a nice pair of pants, turned to tried and true New Enough.com and bought the Joe Rocket Phoenix I'd sworn to avoid. Cheap (in every sense), cool in the Barbados heat, zip easily to the jacket and fit over my work slacks for my daily commute, increasing chances of ATGATT.

Sigh.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old January 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #14
mikesova
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2002 XR200r

I use the tourmaster overpants. They are ok. I feel safer with them on, but they are bulky and look kind of goofy. They are also kind of hot in the summertime. I wish I had something like the BMW City pants, but without having to pay for the BMW logo on them.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

Does anybody have anything to say about the Joe Rocket Revolution pants??? I know they came out like in 04. Anything???
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #16
seis gunnar
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R SE Lime Green

This is what I've started using.

I've started using Bohn's Body Guard Adventure Pants under my Levi's. If it is really hot out I have a pair of the Cool Air Body Guard pants.

Body Guard Adventure Pants
Cool Air Body Guard

They have hip, tail, knee and shin padding that is removable. Also, they have a discount if you want to buy 2, one of each or both the same.

You'll propably want to take them off once you get to work though. I mostly ride for fun and not commuting.

One more thing I just checked. They ship to APO/FPO.

Last futzed with by seis gunnar; January 17th, 2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: more info
seis gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM   #17
KimR
ninjette.org member

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar Stretch Jeans. They work and they're custom made. They are not cheap.

http://motoport.com/_product_106915/...ar_Street_Jean
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #18
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Those are plain friggin nuts - by the time you make them protective, they're over $600.
You can get 4 really good protective and armored pants for hot, cold, and, in between weather, in 4 different colors if you want, for one pair of those. They wind up costing more than some people's bikes. Got money to burn?, then go for them.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #19
KimR
ninjette.org member

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Those are plain friggin nuts - by the time you make them protective, they're over $600.
You can get 4 really good protective and armored pants for hot, cold, and, in between weather, in 4 different colors if you want, for one pair of those. They wind up costing more than some people's bikes. Got money to burn?, then go for them.
You're reading the spec wrong. They're $349, which I agree is expensive. But they are already armored. If you want to change the type of armor or go for any of the other options it gets more expensive. I find the standard armor is just fine.
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #20
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

You're right, I didn't read the whole entire page. But they're still pretty expensive altho you are covered pretty well with armor and padding.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote