Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Name: 01010010 01101111 01101101 01100001 01101110

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Fun day!

Edited: more lackluster version.

Hey everyone, been loving the bike... its great. I'm taking the MSF next Friday. I have a bit over 2k of experiance now. One regret though... not getting a bike sooner.

Also if anyone has an android phone try out the app "My Tracks" here's some info from yesterdays ride...

From my new ride. So close to 200 miles!!!

Last futzed with by Vip3rV333; February 18th, 2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: To much drama...
Vip3rV333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM   #2
fenwaynomar45
Greenman!

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

wow glad your ok. Hope you saw some good sights at least. i'll have to try the app out it looks cool
fenwaynomar45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM   #3
brezim123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brenda

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250ex

In South Florida that's the type of riding I do everyday. Then add to that all the tourists here yhat have no clue where they want to go or how to get there. You just have to be on your toes at all times and always watching everyone else. First Sunday in December we went on the Toy Run in the Sun with about 30,000 bikes. They close down 95 for the run. Check it out on youtube.
Posted via Mobile Device
brezim123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by brezim123 View Post
In South Florida that's the type of riding I do everyday. Then add to that all the tourists here yhat have no clue where they want to go or how to get there. Posted via Mobile Device
HEY!!! be nice, i'll be in Ft lauderdale the first week of January, and I assure you this "tourist" will not be a total idiot!!!!

Edit: to the OP...glad you're ok, its experiances like that that allow you to become more of an expert in tough situations.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:08 AM   #5
kkim

take the MSF ASAP.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM   #6
arnette
ninjette.org member

Name: Brent

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White/Ebony SE

You obviously forgot to turn off your cloaking device.
arnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM   #7
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

take that MSF class asap man...obviously you are doing sh*ts thats way over your skills level. one close call is one too many IMO.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM   #8
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

People are telling you to take the MSF class not for the physical riding lessons but for the driving mindset and situational awareness issues. After 800 miles, you probably feel fairly comfortable handling your bike but you might be using a car driver's mindset. When I'm on the motorcycle, I assume everyone doesn't see me unless I actually see something to indicate otherwise. But when I'm in my car I usually assume the other person sees me.
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Quote:
In South Florida that's the type of riding I do everyday. Then add to that all the tourists here yhat have no clue where they want to go or how to get there. You just have to be on your toes at all times and always watching everyone else. First Sunday in December we went on the Toy Run in the Sun with about 30,000 bikes. They close down 95 for the run. Check it out on youtube.
Posted via Mobile Device
Uh... I think maybe you got a bit to much 0's there? Sounds like it would be a ride that would kill my ears from all the choppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnette View Post
You obviously forgot to turn off your cloaking device.
Haha good one, but you didn't know that the cloak disable switch itself gets disabled when as soon as you get on a motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellca21 View Post
take that MSF class asap man...obviously you are doing sh*ts thats way over your skills level. one close call is one too many IMO.
What am I doing so obviously wrong in your opinion? You can ride for 20 years and close calls will still happen if other people jump out at you. I cant control the other drivers. All I can do now is try to predict them and avoid what I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
People are telling you to take the MSF class not for the physical riding lessons but for the driving mindset and situational awareness issues. After 800 miles, you probably feel fairly comfortable handling your bike but you might be using a car driver's mindset. When I'm on the motorcycle, I assume everyone doesn't see me unless I actually see something to indicate otherwise. But when I'm in my car I usually assume the other person sees me.
Well I do try to keep a different mindset while I drive the bike. I assume people dont see me but its not like I can drive around at 5 miles an hour everywhere. I always keep the bike in gear, watch if the car behind me is slowing down when coming to a stop, ect... I seen so many motorcycle safety vids and read so much its not even funny. But that's not my excuse. I WILL take the class as soon as I can afford to drop that $230.

But just b/c someone does, It wont make them instantly capable of handling anything that gets thrown at them on the road. That comes with time and experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start any fights here, you would probably learn something that would help out in certain situations but that's not even a 100%. I have herd of plenty of retarded people passing the MSF for what its worth.

I know I am still a newb, but I'll take it when I can, end of story. No need to

Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:08 PM   #10
brezim123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
HEY!!! be nice, i'll be in Ft lauderdale the first week of January, and I assure you this "tourist" will not be a total idiot!!!!

Edit: to the OP...glad you're ok, its experiances like that that allow you to become more of an expert in tough situations.
Coming here from Cali you will probably fit right in with the 'normal' drivers...20mph over the speed limit, zipping in and out of traffic and mumbling under your breathe (or yelling at top of lungs) a few unspeakable words to those that drive 20mph for no reason...lol

Driving lesson in SoFLa....
1) From stopped position on I-95 or I-595 pick out a car that goes by going at least 80mph.

2) Count to 100.

3) Now take off (without looking for oncoming traffic) and zip in and out of traffic as much as possible until you catch up to said car in #1.

4) Once you have caught up to said car move over into far left lane and slow down to about 50mph for no reason.

5) Now from far left lane at last possible minute shoot all the way across all 5 lanes of traffic to take the exit.

6) Once you have accomplished this successfully now you can take all the things you have learned and hit the surface roads...lol

Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:18 PM   #11
brezim123
ninjette.org member

"Uh... I think maybe you got a bit to much 0's there? Sounds like it would be a ride that would kill my ears from all the choppers. "

Link to original page on YouTube.

Not as loud as you think it would be because it is all types of bikes. Its the largest toy run in the states. check it out on youtube...this video is ok but starts close to where I was in the line up and I was about half way back. They start lining up at 5:30am and the run doesnt start until around 10am. Its a 26 mile ride that takes about 3 hrs for all the bikes to get inside Markum Park. People stop and sit on the side of the road and watch the 'parade' of motorcycles go by every year.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM   #12
brezim123
ninjette.org member

As for the MSF Course, you have to have it in Fl. in order to get your endosements. The couse is good for a basis for you skills, but there is nothing like everyday pratice. The more you ride the better your skills will get. The first 6 months I was riding I put about 3000 miles on my bike. I rode everywhere all the time. Its about 40 miles to south beach from my house and less than 200 to Key West so did alot of riding just for pratice. Just dont learn the 'wrong' skills because those are always hard to break. And the best advice you have been given on here so far is to always think that the driver of the other vehicle didnt/cant see you, always have an escape route, and most important ....ALWAYS wear a helmet...

Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:42 PM   #13
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellca21 View Post
I agree with this. You should not be having that many close calls. You may not be riding defensively enough.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM   #14
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Quote:
...Just dont learn the 'wrong' skills because those are always hard to break...
That was the biggest thing I was worried about with holding out on taking the MSF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
I agree with this. You should not be having that many close calls. You may not be riding defensively enough.
I dunno how much more defensive I could have been, people in my lanes and people pulling in front of me... All I can do is slow down and try to make sure they see me. I try to stay aware of my surroundings at all times.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM   #15
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

As everyone else says, take the MSF course ASAP. Each of these situations could have been avoided easily, and the course teaches you how to watch out for situations like this.

Everyday when I ride, which is a mere 2 miles to work and 2 miles back I have people around me that have no idea how to handle sharing a road with a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip3rV333 View Post
1st: Chick was on a phone and was in MY inside lane on a sharp turn... luckily I was able to avoid her just barley... about a foot closer and I would have flew over her windshield. I saw her expression the whole time also, it was like time slowed down, she just giggling... didnt even seem to care, arg!
MSF course teaches to constantly look around, where cars are, where your escape routes are, etc. I'm kind of confused on how this situation happened... she cut behind you?

Quote:
2nd: Guy was at a intersection and thought he could jump out and drive by while I was making my turn to the left... almost got hit again. He stopped about 3 feet from me.
MSF course teaches you that people perceive that bikes are moving much slower than they actually are because they are so small. It is quite common for cars to "jump out" in front of a bike.

Quote:
3rd: I was in a roundabout and as I was getting off it it some lady starting pulling into the circle, I grabbed the brakes and stated skidding but stopped in time w/o flipping over the bars, and she saw me and broke also, I wasn't sure who was more surprised me or her... he looked like she saw a ghost. (now I see why ppl say "I didnt see him!") I guess she was just watching for cars... small red bike is just to invisible... She came about 3 feet from me also.
MSF course teaches you how to emergency brake properly without skidding. You never "grab" the brakes. My instructor taught proper braking technique quite well, you should squeeze the front brake like an orange, and not grab it. Also you should be using both front and rear together in an emergency situation. The riding portion of the MSF actually has you practicing emergency braking, and teaches you how to properly correct a locked up tire (skid) so you don't "flip over the bars" aka highside.

You are doing yourself a huge disservice by delaying the MSF course. I can see that you are already picking up bad habits by your braking technique and blaming the drivers around you... that is NOT defensive driving. Riding a bike you NEED to be 110% paying attention to your surroundings and predicting that every driver is a bad driver and doesn't see you.

Anyways I'll get off my soap box, but please, please take the MSF course ASAP.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:25 PM   #16
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
As everyone else says, take the MSF course ASAP. Each of these situations could have been avoided easily, and the course teaches you how to watch out for situations like this.

Everyday when I ride, which is a mere 2 miles to work and 2 miles back I have people around me that have no idea how to handle sharing a road with a motorcycle.

MSF course teaches to constantly look around, where cars are, where your escape routes are, etc. I'm kind of confused on how this situation happened... she cut behind you?

I was driving on a road that was turning sharply to the right... the oncoming car was in my whole lane as if she was trying to take the apex... I moved to the right even further thus avoiding her. Hope that makes sense. I always anticipate a car in that situation and that's how I was able to react so quickly to her. I dont see how that's me just trying to blame her if it wasn't her fault.

MSF course teaches you that people perceive that bikes are moving much slower than they actually are because they are so small. It is quite common for cars to "jump out" in front of a bike.

OK what did I do wrong? I slowed down and was cautious. He was stopped at the time and by the time I was half way though the turn he decided to jump out.

MSF course teaches you how to emergency brake properly without skidding. You never "grab" the brakes. My instructor taught proper braking technique quite well, you should squeeze the front brake like an orange, and not grab it. Also you should be using both front and rear together in an emergency situation. The riding portion of the MSF actually has you practicing emergency braking, and teaches you how to properly correct a locked up tire (skid) so you don't "flip over the bars" aka highside.

Ok the grabbing part was just my expression. I didn't just grab as I would have flipped over. I squeezed as much as I felt I needed in order to stop safely from what I have practiced in empty parking lots... alot of emergency braking.

You are doing yourself a huge disservice by delaying the MSF course. I can see that you are already picking up bad habits by your braking technique and blaming the drivers around you... that is NOT defensive driving. Riding a bike you NEED to be 110% paying attention to your surroundings and predicting that every driver is a bad driver and doesn't see you.

You guys are jumping the gun pretty quick here dont you think? I was just trying to share my story and mentioned I would take it as soon as I had the money. If you guys would like to explain what I could have possibly done to have changed the peoples actions or helped avoid it then please do so.

Anyways I'll get off my soap box, but please, please take the MSF course ASAP.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:47 PM   #17
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

situations do happen, and I personally think even if he took the MSF course doesn't necessarily mean that all these situations would miraculously disappear, of course.

Though they do teach you to "think ahead", but the situations you described could maybe not have been avoided. I think the only reason why its imperative to take the MSF course is to not stick to bad habits. They teach you the right way of riding, not what you picked up along the years or what your friends have tought you.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:35 PM   #18
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
situations do happen, and I personally think even if he took the MSF course doesn't necessarily mean that all these situations would miraculously disappear, of course.

Though they do teach you to "think ahead", but the situations you described could maybe not have been avoided. I think the only reason why its imperative to take the MSF course is to not stick to bad habits. They teach you the right way of riding, not what you picked up along the years or what your friends have tought you.
I never said it would make the situations disappear, but the thing is, these situations occur every day to every rider but yet the OP is making a big deal out of it. If he had been aware of what happens on the road, the close calls probably wouldn't have been close but just minor annoyances. I'm also sure that many of the situations were exacerbated because the OP is also a new rider without an appropriate skill set.

Anyways, I also like to think of it this way, the first time you got behind the wheel of a car, did you do this without prior instruction? Motorcycles are just as dangerous as a car and more so to the rider, and I'm surprised more states don't require an MSF course prior to obtaining the endorsement.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM   #19
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Thanks alot Paulette... Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

Quote:
I never said it would make the situations disappear, but the thing is, these situations occur every day to every rider but yet the OP is making a big deal out of it. If he had been aware of what happens on the road, the close calls probably wouldn't have been close but just minor annoyances. I'm also sure that many of the situations were exacerbated because the OP is also a new rider without an appropriate skill set.
Big deal out of it? Geez, I even said "what a fun day though." And yet you also didn't answer any of my questions or tell me what I did wrong after I asked? And if they occur every day to every rider how is it you earlier said "Each of these situations could have been avoided easily" in your last post? I never made it big deal out of it, this part I hate about the internet; no one really understands your tone no matter how many smileys you use.

I never panicked, in fact I avoided two of those scenarios from coming out bad for the bike. The second I couldn't have done anything about...

Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:07 PM   #20
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
And yet you also didn't answer any of my questions or tell me what I did wrong after I asked? And if they occur every day to every rider how is it you earlier said "Each of these situations could have been avoided easily" in your last post? I never made it big deal out of it, this part I hate about the internet; no one really understands your tone no matter how many smileys you use.

I never panicked, in fact I avoided two of those scenarios from coming out bad for the bike. The second I couldn't have done anything about...
You asked 1 question, and I already answered in my original post, therefore I felt no need to answer it again. By posting that you had 3 close calls in 1 day and you almost were plowed over... sounds like a big deal to me. It's really odd that you seem so against taking the MSF course, when many experienced riders are trying to tell you it is a great learning tool. Maybe all you want to do is argue... whatever, be stubborn and learn the hard way, it's fine by me.

I'm done here.

Old December 24th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #21
brezim123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Anyways, I also like to think of it this way, the first time you got behind the wheel of a car, did you do this without prior instruction? Motorcycles are just as dangerous as a car and more so to the rider, and I'm surprised more states don't require an MSF course prior to obtaining the endorsement.
I personally think its a good idea for someone to take the course because it does help build your confidence and that in itself helps you as a new rider. In florida, if you are stopped on a motorcycle and you dont have your endorsements (which you cant get if you havent taken the MSF classes) you get a $750 fine, they impound your motorcycle ($150 per day) and you cant retreive your motorcycle untill you have taken the course and gotten your licenses. The course is only a 2 day or 3 day (your choice) course but it is very good and very helpful. I do understand the cost being an issue but be careful of what you are learning on the streets. Its kind of like watching the movie instead of reading the book and then taking the test in English class....not a good idea...

If you are going to continue to ride until you can take the course always remember to keep yourself an escape route (because drivers dont see you taking up 1/3 of the space that a caged vehicle takes) and always be aware of everything going on around you. Expect a car to pull out in front of you, to do sudden stops, to make lane changes without signaling, etc. Remember, to watch everyone around you because they are not watching you.

I dont think anyone here is trying to beat you down (so to speak) for not taking the MSF course yet. As for myself, I just want anyone that loves to ride to be safe and to know to ride safe so that you ride for a very long time. We just want to help you and to hopefully help you to know how important the course is for anyone.

Old December 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #22
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Uh... I think maybe you got a bit to much 0's there? Sounds like it would be a ride that would kill my ears from all the choppers.

Haha good one, but you didn't know that the cloak disable switch itself gets disabled when as soon as you get on a motorcycle?

What am I doing so obviously wrong in your opinion? You can ride for 20 years and close calls will still happen if other people jump out at you. I cant control the other drivers. All I can do now is try to predict them and avoid what I can.

Well I do try to keep a different mindset while I drive the bike. I assume people dont see me but its not like I can drive around at 5 miles an hour everywhere. I always keep the bike in gear, watch if the car behind me is slowing down when coming to a stop, ect... I seen so many motorcycle safety vids and read so much its not even funny. But that's not my excuse. I WILL take the class as soon as I can afford to drop that $230.

But just b/c someone does, It wont make them instantly capable of handling anything that gets thrown at them on the road. That comes with time and experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start any fights here, you would probably learn something that would help out in certain situations but that's not even a 100%. I have herd of plenty of retarded people passing the MSF for what its worth.

I know I am still a newb, but I'll take it when I can, end of story. No need to
BS effing excuse. If you can afford to be out operating a motorcycle, you can afford to find $230 to take the MSF course. Take the course ASAP. while Im sure you'll come back and complain about how basic it was and you already know everything they taught, like all the others have said, the MSF course teaches intangibles and a mindset that you dont realize until knee deep in a **** situation. The MSF just gives you a basis to grow on, it doesnt make you a proficient rider. However, like building a house, if the foundation is crooked, the whole structure is unsound. Use the MSF to place a proper foundation.

and...

Merry Christmas.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #23
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You asked 1 question, and I already answered in my original post, therefore I felt no need to answer it again. By posting that you had 3 close calls in 1 day and you almost were plowed over... sounds like a big deal to me. It's really odd that you seem so against taking the MSF course, when many experienced riders are trying to tell you it is a great learning tool. Maybe all you want to do is argue... whatever, be stubborn and learn the hard way, it's fine by me.

I'm done here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
BS effing excuse. If you can afford to be out operating a motorcycle, you can afford to find $230 to take the MSF course. Take the course ASAP. while Im sure you'll come back and complain about how basic it was and you already know everything they taught, like all the others have said, the MSF course teaches intangibles and a mindset that you dont realize until knee deep in a **** situation. The MSF just gives you a basis to grow on, it doesnt make you a proficient rider. However, like building a house, if the foundation is crooked, the whole structure is unsound. Use the MSF to place a proper foundation.

and...

Merry Christmas.
Ok thanks for your input.

Old December 24th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #24
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

$239 isn't too bad. They want like $600 and an 8 day class from me so I can teach it. There's no actual MSF in this area, you go to the technical college.

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #25
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
$239 isn't too bad. They want like $600 and an 8 day class from me so I can teach it. There's no actual MSF in this area, you go to the technical college.
Hey, Im registering for the MSF course for next Friday and I see this at the bottom of the regsitration page.

Quote:
If you own a motorcycle, have ridden at least 500 hundred miles, feel comfortable that you have good clutch and throttle control, PLEASE help us reserve the beginner class for those with no experience. PLEASE CONSIDER ENROLLING IN THE INTERMEDIATE MOTORCYCLE CLASS (IC) INSTEAD. IC dates and registration should be available for registration each semester as noted above.
And since you teach around here I'm betting your the best person to ask on if I should skip the beginners course or not. I only have a bit over 2k miles under my belt right now, but I'm worried that I will miss out on some important information from the beginners course. I'm assuming that they teach the the same info in the intermediate course since they think it might be best to go strait towards that? What are the differences exactly?

Old February 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #26
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

You're driving like you're in a car (cage) when you should mantra "i'm invisible." Sounds like you put yourself in someones blind spot, didn't count before taking off on a green, and didn't foresee you way "through" the rotary. All things as a biker you should know and do. Murphys law has a special fondness for bikers, be careful man, ride on.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #27
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Glad your enjoying the bike. Cool phone app with the map and data!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #28
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Glad you made thought your days. Sometime's it's sheer luck and to be fair, intersections and parking lots are the worst. I havent had any close calls yet (fingers crossed) but even in the car, I find tons of people in cars are too lax and so their awareness level drops dramatically. I think the major thing the MSF course did was increase my awareness level and being on a motorcycle is all about remembering not to take the security of a cage for granted. A lot of the techniques for safety I transfer over to when I'm driving now and you'll be surprised at the ridiculous decisions some drivers do that you didnt notice before.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe. Lets save those close calls for the track if possible.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #29
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

To add some more here - your max speed was almost 87 mph? Is there a reason for that? You may be riding beyond your ability level and the longer you delay the course, the harder it is to unlearn bad habits. Overconfidence is a big reason people get into accidents. $230 for the MSF course is a lot less money than a trip to the ER or recovering from a bad injury. You going ATGATT or is that just for sissys too?
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #30
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
To add some more here - your max speed was almost 87 mph? Is there a reason for that? You may be riding beyond your ability level and the longer you delay the course, the harder it is to unlearn bad habits. Overconfidence is a big reason people get into accidents. $230 for the MSF course is a lot less money than a trip to the ER or recovering from a bad injury. You going ATGATT or is that just for sissys too?
No need to be a smartass... but Ill play. Gear you say? Why yes it for sissys. I wear a helmet, gloves and a padded jacket at ALL times. No exceptions. So count me in. If your gonna come back and tell me to start wearing riding boots and padded pants to school and everywhere I go then too bad. Not getting that stuff unless I have a track day.

I just love it when ppl reply w/o reading the rest of the thread... post #25 to be exact. Since you probably cant read all of it yourself, I'm taking it next week.

As for the speed, If I see a big empty stretch of road for a few miles and no cars in either direction then you better believe I'm gonna give it some extra throttle. (and no this isn't a dark forest inhabited with suicidal dear) There's a reason I got a sport (250 sport much less) bike and not a cruiser...

Last futzed with by Vip3rV333; February 18th, 2011 at 04:44 PM.

Old February 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #31
setasai

Quote:
No need to be a smartass... but Ill play. Gear you say? Why yes it for sissys. I wear a helmet and padded jacket at all times. No exceptions. So count me in. If your gonna come back and tell me to start wearing riding boots and padded pants to school and everywhere I go then too bad. Not getting that stuff unless I have a track day.
Eh, riding boots isnt that big a deal. I ride with boots to school and it doesnt bother me. Granted they arent full track boots though. Just some very low key sport touring boots. Comfy and approximately the same price as a new pair of sneakers, which i needed at the time anyways. As for pants, I just got some shift torque riding jeans for abrasion. It's understandable to stop at the jacket, helmet and hopefully gloves but I dont see why you'd be so against the boots and pants. I'm not saying go all out with leather pants and everything but thicker jeans, or kevlar lined jeans, and some riding shoes couldnt hurt and doesnt look over the top. My bro has those shift fuel riding shoes and I kinda like it. He has the white ones and they look and feel like sneakers.

Advice is just that, Advice. On that same note, thanks for the advice on the android app. will check it out. Just about to wire in a USB plug to power my gps, maybe i can splice in a microUSB plug for the phone as well.

Old February 18th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #32
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

For those long rides on the weekend it would be a every good idea to get riding boots and pants... hmm. But the thing with pants is I ride the bike everyday now to school and for work. I would need so many "riding jeans or pants" for 5+ days a week so I'm not wearing the same thing everyday. You know what I mean?

Im not really a sneaker type of guy so I only wear leather boots that go over the ankle right now. I know its not a riding boot but it works. They are laced up tight enough to where hopefully they wouldn't fly off in an accident.

As for the phone I just got a extra battery in case it dies along the trip. I would not trust my phone attached to the bike with some clamp/case/holder on some of the bumpy roads.

And thanks for the advice, I am going to be shopping for some nice gear for "spirited riding" on the weekends.

Old February 18th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #33
setasai

Quote:
For those long rides on the weekend it would be a every good idea to get riding boots and pants... hmm. But the thing with pants is I ride the bike everyday now to school and for work. I would need so many "riding jeans or pants" for 5+ days a week so I'm not wearing the same thing everyday. You know what I mean?

Im not really a sneaker type of guy so I only wear leather boots that go over the ankle right now. I know its not a riding boot but it works. They are laced up tight enough to where hopefully they wouldn't fly off in an accident.

As for the phone I just got a extra battery in case it dies along the trip. I would not trust my phone attached to the bike with some clamp/case/holder on some of the bumpy roads.

And thanks for the advice, I am going to be shopping for some nice gear for "spirited riding" on the weekends.
Yea I totally know what you mean. To fix that I ended up getting super thick work jeans like dickies or carthartt. They're for the working man/woman and is fairly thick and cheap, like $25 a pair on sale. I find they are a good bridge in between. I am a huge fan of ATGATT but my god is it difficult to do that on campus and so here is my compromise. I do wear some knox knee/shin guards underneath though.

Be sure to tuck in the laces if you use normal leather boots. That could get bad real quick.

I wouldnt be worried about the phone falling off. The mounts for gps's and phones are pretty sturdy. I have the one for a garmin nuvi 200w and the plastic practically wraps around the whole thing and with the ram-mounts, it's not going anywhere.

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #34
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Roman, have fun, learn all you can, ride smart, and don't cash checks your riding skills cannot cover.

Motorcycle over pants work great. You can wear anything you want for school and just stash the pants in a backpack. I wear them over my work clothes, zip them off and hang them on my cubicle.

Old February 19th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #35
actionace
MotoGP Junkie

Name: Ace

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Love the MyTracks app. Great for hiking and rollerblading with the dog

Kudos to you for signing up for the MSF. Seems to me that people around here are just worried for you. Whatever you do, ride smart cause even 1 incident a day is 1 too many

As for gear, I also make the compromise with the riding pants since I run between classes and am on and off the bike throughout the day. For me it's touring boots which are nice & comfy, jeans, and a good set of knee pads <--finding a pair that are inconspicuous & comfortable for all day use can be tricky though (knox crossgaurds & icon field armor seem to be the most recommended).
actionace is offline   Reply With Quote