ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Best sub-$200 helmet?

Had a little spill last weekend, and while my helmet is virtually undamaged, it's my understanding that once it's been crashed, the helmet is no good anymore. I could get the same one for $70 on clearance, but if my budget allows I'd like to take the opportunity to upgrade.

New helmet must be:
-same head shape as HJC CS-R1
-reputed brand name
-relatively quiet (CS-R1 is LOUD!)
-decent venting
-budget is $200 MAX, to my door

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Look at the scorpion exo 400 and 700 line, 750 line has the air bladder system which allows you too conform the cheekpads to your custom fit. Most of the scorpion lines will be around your pricerange at closeout.

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #3
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

The ones that fits your head properly.

IT's your head, how much is it worth to you?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
The ones that fits your head properly.

IT's your head, how much is it worth to you?
It's worth $70, the cheapest DOT-approved full face I can get. However, features like less wind noise and cooler venting are worth a little more. If you're not going to bother reading the OP, please don't waste everyone's time by replying with something irrelevant.

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
-same head shape as HJC CS-R1
and what would that be?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #6
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
and what would that be?

scorpion exo-700 is on closeout at sportbiketrackgear for $100 and at motorcycle gear its on closeout for $175. You can also watch a review of the helmet on sportbiketrackgear

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Not sure. WebBikeWorld says long-oval-ish.

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've seen the blue Scorpion EXO-1000 on clearance for $99 and the gray/silver for $139 at Cycle Gear. They ran out of stock of the blue but I still had to have it and bought gray/silver. Love the helmet! It's MUCH quieter than my G-MAX GM58S and the features/quality put it lightyears beyond the GM.

Anyway, did your helmet take any of the impact? As in, "force absorbed from your head into the foam as a result of impact to the outer shell?" If not, it's probably fine according to one high-end helmet manufacturer (I think it was Shoei).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

I don't think it took any direct impact. It has some small scratches just behind the visor on one side and the visor won't seal closed. From the way the EMTs where talking you would have thought it was cracked in half or something!

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #10
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Might be best to stick with HJC with a long oval head I think. Although scorpion helmets fit a wide variety. My exo-400(which I would like to sell) was a good helmet and may be a bit quieter than my shoei. The vents on the exo-400 aren't the best though and you will barely tell a difference between open and closed. The exo-700 is better in every way from what I've seen and heard from others.

Old February 26th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #11
kkim

webbikeworld says it's a Slightly Narrow (SN) Helmet.

I have an exo-700 XL in almost perfect condition (maybe used 5 times) that I've been thinking of selling (it's also a SN helmet). The shape just doesn't fit my head, though I really like the features of it. It's hi vis yellow.

Old February 26th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #12
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I have both the EXO-400 and 700 and I like them both. With the aeroskirt, wind noise is decreased dramatically and ventilation on both is very adequate as well. Try some on and if it feels comfortable, just get one and be done with it. Reliable, look cool, and comfy.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #13
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

What's the difference between the 4 and 700? They seem to be the same per the description on Scorpions website.

Old February 26th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #14
kkim

7 is a bit higher quality than the 4. never owning a 4, I can't comment, though. I think the shapes are a bit different as well.

here, read for yourself...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Old February 26th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #15
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
What's the difference between the 4 and 700? They seem to be the same per the description on Scorpions website.
The 700 uses a fiberglass kevlar composite shell while the 400 uses polycarbonate. The 700 is also lighter than the 400. Additionally the venting on the 700 is a bit better and the rear exhaust vent and upper vents have 3 detents on them to help meter airflow. Other than that they are pretty similar. I like the style of the 700 more than the 400. Also this may be a bit over your budget but check out the brand new 500's they have some really nice features

Old February 26th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #16
setasai

Quote:
You can read all you want but when it comes down to it, you'll know instantly which one you like better once it's on your head. Personally, I dont think you can go wrong with either one if all you are looking for is a protective helmet that is decent/good or possibly great in every aspect depending on who you talk to.

Old February 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #17
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I believe some of the prices on (http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...Class2/Helmets) <--this page will influence your decision if your looking for an exo style helmet. That is the same site I got my jacket from, great price and fast, free shipping (not sure if helmets ship free).

(Couldn't add the "this page" link from my phone)

Old February 27th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #18
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I believe some of the prices on (http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...Class2/Helmets) <--this page will influence your decision if your looking for an exo style helmet. That is the same site I got my jacket from, great price and fast, free shipping (not sure if helmets ship free).

(Couldn't add the "this page" link from my phone)
Just a warning that IronPony has a no return policy on sale items. For helmet purchases, when fit is a huge deal, this is probably a bad idea. (They also have a $20 surcharge for military purchasers, which is a frustration.)

There are better choices out there. For reviews of online merchants, see Places to Buy Gear Online.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #19
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...el-Helmet.aspx check this out

Old February 27th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #20
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Webbikeworld Helmet FAQ page. Lots of info regarding fitments etc.

Webbikeworld helmet reviews. Tons of choices.

This review of the HJC CS-R1 states that it has a unique head shape. Do you have a local motorcycle shop you can go to and try on some different brand helmets and see how they fit?

I have an EXO-400 and, otherwise from being a bit noisy behind my laminar lip windscreen extension, is a nice helmet for the price. It is actually a great deal quieter on a naked bike .

SparX might be a good choice.

FYI, I ride with earplugs all the time.

Last futzed with by JeffM; February 27th, 2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Removed some info. I wasn't sure about
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #21
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

+1 on the Scorpion helmets. They're the best bang for the buck.

Check this one out. Only $65.00 for the EXO-400. The only size they don't have is large.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/19581/ITEM/Scorpion-EXO-400-Rebel-Helmet.aspx

Old February 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #22
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

If the HJC fits your head... then I whole-heartedly suggest you try the IS-Max. It's a bit loud, as are all modulars. But with the integraded face shield and a sub-$200 price. they are great.

My wife and I each have them, and even in 110 degree heat, I find the venting to be sufficient.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #23
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

ridiculous deal on a GREAT helmet

http://www.extremesupply.com/product...O1000APLO.html
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #24
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT View Post
If the HJC fits your head... then I whole-heartedly suggest you try the IS-Max. It's a bit loud, as are all modulars. But with the integraded face shield and a sub-$200 price. they are great.

My wife and I each have them, and even in 110 degree heat, I find the venting to be sufficient.
I have the IS-Max, and love it. It's all about fit, as has been discussed previously. But with that, they are well constructed, comfortable, and the convenience of a flip up is great, especially with glasses. The IS-Max also has a flip down sun visor that works very well. I ride with it in the tropics, and it is great in the heat. It does have some noise, as will any modulars, but not too bad, and I ride with earplugs anyway. It isn't Snell rated, though you'll be hard pressed to find a Snell rated helmet for under $200. That is what makes that EXO1000 Vince listed such a good deal.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
No *quite* as good as Cycle Gear's $99 for Apollo Blue and $139 for Apollo Silver, but those are probably sold out. Might still be worth checking in-store (I'm pretty sure it was an in-store clearance only in the first place).

Old February 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #26
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjchelmets.com
If you are unsure if you need to replace your helmet, contact HJC America before using your helmet again.
Not to say that you shouldn't replace it, but you could always see if HJC will look at it for you so you can use it as a back up helmet if it turns out to be okay. I crashed my first shoei helmet a year ago, sent it in to shoei for the price of shipping (About $10), and got it back in about a week with a brand new visor, a fully repaired visor locking system, and a letter saying it was still fully functional. I had already replaced it by then, but I now have two matching and functional X-elevens. I'd say it's worth a shot if you liked that helmet at all.

My only affordable helmet experience is with KBC. If they fit you right, they'll certainly protect you fine in a crash (I know at least one person who can attest to this), but the overall quality is a bit subpar (My visor mechanism doesn't stay open or closed, even though I've hardly ever used it, and the inner padding seems uncomfortable and too sparse after coming back from a much nicer helmet). Otherwise, I typically hear good things about Bell helmets, or you could go for the afore mentioned scorpion, or maybe even a closeout Icon would probably serve you pretty well if they fit your head right, just so you have some more options. Especially since it's still early in the year, you can still get a lot of last years otherwise expensive helmets for some pretty nice closeout prices
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #27
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_helmet.html

Old February 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #28
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Just wanted to add that I bought an exo 700 from sportbikegear. It was my first order from them. It shipped same day FedEx and I expect on Tuesday. $107.00 With shipping
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #29
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Check with your local dealer to see if they have Fulmer helmets. You might be surprised at the fit, finish and price. I bought a Fulmer SS. The unique thing about Fulmer Helmets is that they are a U.S. Company and you only find them at dealers. (Their statement why; http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/policy.html)

I had been wanting one but I did not want to pay full price for it. The SS is DOT and Snell rated, has a fiberglass shell. The helmet is much quieter than my Modular helmet, with ear plugs the bike sounds sooo smooth, it's awesome, and wind noise and whistle is really quieted down. I paid $125 on sale for it.

Fulmer SS Fear & Loathing Full Face Helmet
* Snell and DOT approved
* Organic-aerodynamic shape
* EPS Padded chin bar
* QR2 Quick Switch shield system
* DRI-LEX moisture wicking interior
* Removable/washable interior
* Padded D-Ring retention system
* Adjustable chin vent
* Air Channel Technology vent system
* Adjustable forehead intake vents
* Free flow exhaust vents
* Rear diffuser
* Removable breath spoiler
* Removable chin spoiler
* Includes helmet sack

http://www.trackdaymag.com/Articles/...ce-Helmet.aspx
http://www.roadcarvin.com/gear/fulmer-ss-helmet-review
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #30
nexus
ninjee two-fiddie

Name: Chance

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I have a HJC FS-15 and the fit is similar to the CS-R1 (which I have tried on), perhaps slightly more oval. It has excellent venting and is probably the quietest helmet I have ever worn. If you look around, you can find one for <$170
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #31
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): '08 and 09 Ninja 250R

I have the CL-16 Slayer! It is Snell and DOT approved and is a good looking helmet. It has HJC pinlock shields and the visor swap process for every HJC helmet is feakin easy!
KawiRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #32
arnette
ninjette.org member

Name: Brent

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White/Ebony SE

I have a Bell Vortex and maybe I just lucked out, but I'm really happy with it. I've only tried one other brand on top of the bike but the Vortex was much more comfortable and had good ventilation.

Anyone have experience with Bell helmets? Wondering if I was alone on this.
arnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #33
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I have a Bell Apex and I love it. It's a great helmet. Check out thebellstore.com and look at the Apex and the Vortex. Both great helmets for cheap. They are DOT and Snell approved. I got my Apex for $105.

I also have a Scorpion EXO-1000 Apollo that I snagged at SportBikeTrackGear for $99. It's got every conceivable feature and is a great helmet, BUT it is not as comfortable on my head as the Bell and it is WAY heavier than the Bell. As a consequence, 8 times out of 10, I ride with the Bell.

The Scorpions run smaller than the Bell. My medium size EXO is a lot tighter than the Bell, although it is loosening up a bit as it breaks in. I have never felt the need to use the inflatable cheek pads at all.

Old March 5th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #34
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

Hard to beat this deal, I just picked one up last week. I like having the flip-up chin and was using an HJC CL-Max but wanted the drop-down sun shield on the Sy-Max. Fits like my other XL HJC's.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #35
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Anyone wear an HJC and a Scorpion and know if the Scorpion runs smaller? Tried on both a M and L EXO-400 today and both were super tight.

Old March 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #36
setasai

Not sure but does that really make a difference? If they feel tighter then try on a larger one and see how that feels and buy the one that feels the best. My bro and I both have scorpion's in the same size "M". I have the 400 and he has the 700, they feel very similar as far as sizing goes and I've tried on more scorpion's at the store and they felt similar as well. Point is, I think the sizes are fairly consistent so I doubt it's a fluke for what you felt as a difference.

Old March 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #37
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Good review for the Bell Arrow:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/bell-arrow/

Quote:
"The Bell Arrow is one of the best motorcycle helmet bargains to be found.

It has excellent build quality and it includes a few features either not found or poorly implemented on other helmets costing three or four times more.

Less than $100.00, outstanding comfort, low noise levels and a five-year warranty? Sign me up!"

Last futzed with by JeffM; March 6th, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #38
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Not sure but does that really make a difference? If they feel tighter then try on a larger one and see how that feels and buy the one that feels the best. My bro and I both have scorpion's in the same size "M". I have the 400 and he has the 700, they feel very similar as far as sizing goes and I've tried on more scorpion's at the store and they felt similar as well. Point is, I think the sizes are fairly consistent so I doubt it's a fluke for what you felt as a difference.
You're comparing Scorpion to Scorpion. Scorpion does have a reputation for tighter-fitting helmets compared to other brands marked for the same size. It was the first thing I noticed when trying mine on a cursory search online confirms.

Old March 6th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #39
nexus
ninjee two-fiddie

Name: Chance

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Anyone wear an HJC and a Scorpion and know if the Scorpion runs smaller? Tried on both a M and L EXO-400 today and both were super tight.
Yes, scorpion helmets run smaller than HJC in a given size. I wear a Small in HJC and a Medium in Scorpion.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #40
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
You're comparing Scorpion to Scorpion. Scorpion does have a reputation for tighter-fitting helmets compared to other brands marked for the same size. It was the first thing I noticed when trying mine on a cursory search online confirms.
Yes I know that but what I meant was, try the helmet on and whatever size fits, get that one. I was also confirming that if he felt that it was tighter, he is probably right and that the scorpion mediums all feel the same so if he orders online, go ahead and order that size because quality control on sizing is pretty good. I suppose I could have said nothing at all. haha.