ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #1
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Rumors

I know, another Honda 250 review, but what caught my eye was the next to the last paragraph:

Quote:
"There are currently rumors that Yamaha are developing a 250 and let's hope Suzuki enter the market too. We're still at the early stages of what the 250 market can offer"....
Looks like the quarter liter world may get a little more crowded. Has anyone heard anything else?

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...#ixzz1LRMjz3z2

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #2
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

This is the first I've heard of it. I'd be all for it though, competition is great for the consumers. Lower prices, more aftermarket support, bigger following. Awesome.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

This is great, competition making more effort towards improving and modifying the 250cc bike class should be interesting. Honestly, I think they might be tapping the 250 market due to gas prices shooting through the roof. I like yamaha sportbikes, I can't wait to see them make a 250, I hope the rumors are true.

p.s. If the rumors true, how much do you wanna bet the msrp will be around $3999?

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Live2ride

I just looked at that link, that guy makes the cbr 250 look like a pocket bike

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #5
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

surely this man knows the Ninja 250r has been the class leader for alot more than 3 measly years....
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #6
JeffM
Mr. 988

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
surely this man knows the Ninja 250r has been the class leader for alot more than 3 measly years....
Yea, I saw that too

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #7
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

be very interesting to see what Yamaha would do for a 250 sport bike..they usually go against the grain with there sport bikes.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

I think some of the comments in the article regarding the lack of 400 cc options really hit the nail on the head. Its annoying how all these manufacturers are like sheep. Honda has a 250 to compete with Kawasaki so now Yamaha is thinking of bringing one to market. What will happen over the course of time is that they will dilute the market and then they will discontinue their 250's becuase of lack of profit - except for Kawasaki as the Ninja 250 is such an established brand that Kawasaki rely's very heavly on it.

What one of these guys should do is design and market an inline 400cc, sub 400lb sportbike, with an output of 40-50 hp at around $5-$6K. If such a bike existed in the US market, Id be buying one tomorrow. This bike would bridge the gap perfectly between an entry level 250 and a suspesport 600. Right now there is no other option for the relatively novice rider who wants something more powerful than a 26hp 250 but not as powerful as a 100hp 600. I dont want either of Suzuki's or Kawaski's 650 and Yamaha's FZ6r is damn near 500 lbs.

Make this bike please with FI, and I will be at the Yamaha dealer torrow:

Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Yamaha does have a 250cc single cylinder FI bike in Brazil and I believe, now is also available in India. These rumours may have some truth to them. Would it be this same Yamaha model or a modified version or an entirely new design?

Link to original page on YouTube.

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Live2ride

I'd assume that they would enter the U.S. market with a full fairing sport bike, not the street fighter look like that bike. That bike looks very comfortable though.

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
I think some of the comments in the article regarding the lack of 400 cc options really hit the nail on the head. Its annoying how all these manufacturers are like sheep. Honda has a 250 to compete with Kawasaki so now Yamaha is thinking of bringing one to market. What will happen over the course of time is that they will dilute the market and then they will discontinue their 250's becuase of lack of profit - except for Kawasaki as the Ninja 250 is such an established brand that Kawasaki rely's very heavly on it.

What one of these guys should do is design and market an inline 400cc, sub 400lb sportbike, with an output of 40-50 hp at around $5-$6K. If such a bike existed in the US market, Id be buying one tomorrow. This bike would bridge the gap perfectly between an entry level 250 and a suspesport 600. Right now there is no other option for the relatively novice rider who wants something more powerful than a 26hp 250 but not as powerful as a 100hp 600. I dont want either of Suzuki's or Kawaski's 650 and Yamaha's FZ6r is damn near 500 lbs.

The Ninja 500R made 50-60 hp and weighed around 400 lbs. Kawi chose to axe it instead of updating it like the '08 250R. Guess you're the only one who would've bought a "new gen" 500.

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
The Ninja 500R made 50-60 hp and weighed around 400 lbs. Kawi chose to axe it instead of updating it like the '08 250R. Guess you're the only one who would've bought a "new gen" 500.
If they updated the looks of the ex500 to be like the 250's I think I would have easily chosen that over my ninjette, but beggars can't be choosers.

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Canada has the Ninja 400R which is basically the 650R except with a 400cc engine. For an extra $1000 though, I'd go straight up to the 650R. No weight penalty either.

http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/STREET-...256/Ninja-400R
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #14
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
The 500 was a dinosaur and I dont know how it made it to 2009 looking the way it did. Frankly, Kawasaki should be embarassed that they were marketing that bike as brand new in the year 2009.

Besides, what I was asking for was an inline 4, smaller displacement, fuel injected motor - the 500 had none of those characteristics. Combined with its dated aesthetics, the 500 was the abortion of the Kaewasaki family.

Still, with all of the above being said, if Kawasaki had updated the 500's styling as they did with the 250, I certainly wouldve bought one and I wouldnt have been the only one.

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #15
Live2ride

Quote:
Combined with its dated aesthetics, the 500 was the abortion of the Kaewasaki family.

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #16
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

The Ninja 250 has and will always have to a certain extent, a captive demographic. Each year, there are going to be a new crop of new riders who are going to buy 250's regardless of what it looks like. It could look like a Gaint pink mushroom with two wheels and people will still buy it, because its an entry level bike. Kawasaki got away with not updating the 250 for years because it was basically the only option in the US when it came to 250 sportbikes. When Hyosung introduced their modern styled 250, Kawasaki finally saw the writing on the wall and updated the styling. Had the 250 not been updated in 2008, the CBR250 and the Hyosung would be killing it now in sales.

I know it doesnt make sense for a Honda or Kawasaki who currently have a 250 model and a 600 model to introduce a 400 model - all it would do would be to take a portion of the target market from the 250 and a portion of the target market for the 600 and direct it to the 400. HOWEVER, a manufacutrer like Yamaha or Suzuki who DOESNT have a 250, should market a 400 sportbike. Because of guys like me who werent willing to buy a 600 right off the bat, but wouldve liked something more powerful than a 250, they would lay waste to the Honda and Kawasaki 250 but still 'protect' the sales of their flagship 600s.

Old May 5th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I heard a rumor that Suzuki is planning to make a GSXR250. It will have a fully adjustable suspension (inverted front forks) and develope 53 horsepower at 17,000RPM. Now that they are having 250 classes at most racing organizations Suzuki wants to dominate this class. The best developmental new technology and Suzuki's top selling point (price to be in the $4300 range) is the the bike will run on distilled water. I called my local Suzuki dealer and they not only don't have a delivery date on this new bike but they won't even admit Suzuki is going to build it. It would be a big seller if they do and I'm not sure I would buy one but it's a thought.

Old May 5th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #18
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

I grew up in Europe and there were a lot of 400's like a CBR, FZR, RGV and such. That would be the perfect bike for me. I SO wish they were available here.

That Canadian Ninja 400R is pretty cool but priced too high. Can't you get an SV650 or somehting similar in that price range?
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #19
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:

My most missed bike. Wish I would have kept mine.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #20
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I've been waiting for a yamaha yzf-250r, and if Honda wants to be a part of the 250 age they'll bring back the cbr. Suzuki owned "small displacements" for quite some time over two different decades so?
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #21
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I imagine in the North American market there's a pretty big gap of people looking for the 400-500 range. I don't need the power of a 600 (or the associated insurance cost) but wouldn't mind having a few more ponies. It's pretty sparse in that range and I imagine that use few who have commented on this thread aren't the only ones.

Old May 8th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #22
blubyu
ninjette.org member

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R / 2009 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
This is the first I've heard of it. I'd be all for it though, competition is great for the consumers. Lower prices, more aftermarket support, bigger following. Awesome.
This is the only thing in my opinion that would change if more 250's are brought to market. Lower prices won't happen. They will always be priced with what the existing market it.

Old May 8th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #23
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
If they updated the looks of the ex500 to be like the 250's I think I would have easily chosen that over my ninjette, but beggars can't be choosers.
agree
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote