ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #1
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Bike sitting for ~6 months

Due to some circumstances out of my control I haven't ridden my poor little '08 Ninjette in about 6 months. I didn't prepare the bike for long-term storage beforehand (please don't respond with what I should have done to prepare). The motorcycle has been outdoors but well covered.

I'm going to bring her in to a mechanic to look over it before I start riding again. However, I don't really know/trust any of the mechanics around here so I'd like to get some idea of what I might need done so I don't get ripped off.

First, there are a few things I can do myself. Assuming I can get the bike to start after charging the battery, I'm going to do a thorough "pre-ride" type check, including tires,chain,etc. etc., but I can't do anything much more complicated than that in my apartment's parking lot thanks to my lease. If anybody has any suggestions for things to add to this checklist that are easy to inspect without say, taking the tank off, I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to ask the mechanic to do the yearly inspections and maintenance at a bare minimum. Is there anything else I should ask for specifically? Any problems I'm very likely to see?

I can't wait to get back on the road!
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The only real problems could be the fuel (tank and carbs), tire pressure, and battery.

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

If its been outside, the chain is probably rusted solid.
Check in the exhaust, and the airbox...critters like to build nests in there, and you definitely dont want to suck that up in the engine.

Dump the gas out of the tank and replace, and a oil change probably wouldnt be a bad idea.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #4
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the quick replies.

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #5
arnette
ninjette.org member

Name: Brent

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White/Ebony SE

Not sure how this would help if you're not experiencing a problem yet, but I just bought that Seafoam fuel additive that's so popular on this board after letting my bike sit for ~3 months in a parking garage.

My bike starts up fine but the bike never settles enough to turn off the choke. I gather it's a fuel spoilage thing. You might dump some Seafoam in there as a preventative measure if you don't drain the tank and replace the gas outright.

good luck!
arnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #6
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Check for vermin nesting materials in all nooks n crannies

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #7
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Is it feasible that my pilot jets would need replacing? The dealer apparently ordered new ones, and has been holding my baby hostage for ~10 days waiting on them to be delivered. I have a sinking feeling that I'm getting screwed here.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:26 PM   #8
bluefire1914
ninjette.org member

Name: NinjaLover

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Are you guys serious?

All of these problems after sitting for only 6 months?

Geez.

Sound the death knells, I guess.
bluefire1914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:52 AM   #9
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Did you even try to start it, after maybe charging the battery?
Your dealer is ordering new pilot jets? Are you nuts?
All you probably need is to lube the chain (routine anyway), and dump some carb cleaner like Seafoam or Berryman's B12 Chemtool (1/3 the price), or Techron into the gas and you're probably all good to go.
You are going to pay the stealer more for unneeded work by the time he's done than the bike is worth.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM   #10
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Yes, of course I tried to start it after charging the battery! I tested the battery with a multimeter after charging, and it was well below spec so I replaced it. It still wouldn't start afterwards.

I really had no choice in bringing it to the dealer. I live in an apartment and by my lease contract can't do any real work on their property. The dealer didn't ask me before ordering the pilot jet or anything. Asking me if I'm nuts is a little out of line. I'm just asking if it's possible that they would need replacing so I'm informed next time I talk to them, sheesh.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:50 PM   #11
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Sorry. I meant to say. "is HE nuts?", not YOU. Things like that drive ME nuts, for him to tell you that. Why can't they be cleaned if they need it instead of being replaced? Did he even talk to you about what could be wrong with the bike, like a gummed up carb, or stale gas, before he started to order you new parts you probably don't need, plus his massive labor bill. Sounds to me like you may need a new dealer.
Your original post was on May 9 and you got some good advice about Seafoam and dirty carbs and bad gas, then you come back 2 weeks later and ask about replacing pilot jets? Is dumping a few oz. of Seafoam into the gas tank too much work to do in the apt house parking lot? Speaking of "sheesh".
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM   #12
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

By that point the bike was already at the dealer. Unfortunately they're the only one in town. Sucks.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:47 PM   #13
tito517
ninjette.org member

Name: Tito

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

your dealer is ordering new pilot jets that prob just needed to be cleaned. Ask him to just use an air compressor and blow them out. If that works maybe you can avoid havng to pay him what ever those cost and save your self some moolah!!
tito517 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:37 PM   #14
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

I specifically asked if they tried cleaning using carb cleaner and and air compressor. The service rep claimed they did. I really have no recourse but to trust him at this point, although I don't plan on doing any business with them in the future due to the way they treated me on some other things.

Oh well, live and learn. And more importantly, ride Thanks for all the help, and sorry about the miscommunication Marc (mrlmd).

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #15
kkim

Trey,

ask them to save the pilot jets they remove when they install the new ones and return them to you. once you have them, check to see if they are indeed blocked and not serviceable.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65198
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #16
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

winter of 09' I let my bike sit in the garage for an extended period of time... all I needed to do was charge battery (which I ended up replacing) and use some seafoam.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote