ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:50 AM   #1
ruby1025
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja EX250 (two of them) Blue and Silver

Question

hey guys. I have two used 250s that I got end of May or June this year. Both dropped, both had no servicing. I just had the first service done on one at 11k for $320. ugh. It runs great now, faster, and smoother, also put two new Pirelli Scooter ties on it and it's like a new bike!

I have another 2007 ninja 250 with 800 miles on it. I did the oil/ filter change and cleaned and oiled my air filter myself. Lubed the cables. Adjusted the clutch. Greased the chain (used new greaseninja and it worked great). Adjusted the chain. Changed and bleed the break fluid. New Scorpion battery. Tires are original but no wear or cracks and valves are good and holding. I have an appt at the local kawi shop for a valve adjustment since it never had one done at 600 miles. I read a thread further down about this and most riders had more miles on it then I have before doing it. Due to cost probably. Do you feel I should wait on it or do it? Money is tight. I don't want engine issues down the road. Idles fine, throttle is responsive, no hunting, smooth ride, does require choke cold but only a few moments. I don't think the carbs are dirty as it is not hesitating or hunting. This bike sat off and on for a year, but with gas drained and on a battery. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
ruby1025 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (2001)

From what I've heard, that first valve check is pretty important -- things may be wearing more quickly and/or unevenly in the first 600 miles. You could just get some feeler gauges and check the clearances yourself to see if you need to do the adjustment. If everything checks out then you're done, otherwise you can either try to tackle the adjustment yourself (It's really not as daunting as it sounds -- it's mostly just unbolting things to get enough room to fit your hands and tools into the top end) or bite the bullet and take it to the shop.

It sounds like the 2007 bike is running fine; needing some choke to start is perfectly normal. That said, there aren't really any noticeable symptoms of valve clearance issues on these bikes. Loose valves will make a loud clicking/slapping/tapping sound, but our valves tend to get tighter over time, rather than looser. As the clearances get tighter you'll notice slightly better top end performance, until the valves start burning up.
Yarhj is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:32 AM   #3
ruby1025
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja EX250 (two of them) Blue and Silver

Thanks for the help. I read the links you provided. Sounds like a good investment then. I think I will leave the appt set up at the Kawi shop.
ruby1025 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:25 AM   #4
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Or get a service manual, some tools, do it yourself, and save a ton of money, now and in the future. That way, you always know the quality of the work done. The folks here will help you out if you have any questions.

There are numerous horror stories of "professional" repairs gone wrong. In the best of cases, the shop will accept responsibility. If not, you are left holding the bag.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

I agree with Flitecontrol. You can at least check your valve clearance relatively easily, and doing the adjustment itself is not too much more work, especially if you have the correct tool.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:05 AM   #6
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

It isn't very hard, just tedious. Perhaps find another forums poster in your area, one that's done it before, and have them show you the ropes.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:36 PM   #7
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post

....There are numerous horror stories of "professional" repairs gone wrong. In the best of cases, the shop will accept responsibility. If not, you are left holding the bag.
Read of one here recently, broken rocker arm.