ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #1
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

Name: ion

Motorcycle(s): 2000 ninja 250r

not shifting beyond 1st????

my bike is currently not running, but when i'm sitting on it in the garage and making engine sounds with my mouth and pretend speed shifting i can go from N to 1st, but not into any other gears, i can also roll the bike in 1st??? this is with the clutch not pulled in! my last bike would lock the tire if i moved it in gear. is my clutch shot? i just got this bike for 350$ so i'm not expecting much. even using the clutch i can get it to go beyond 1st. WTH?
ryu hayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #2
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

I belive you cant go though the gears unless your moving. (I think) Hows your clutch cable feel? any play in it?
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #3
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

You have to be actually riding the bike to get the bike to shift past 1st gear that is just how motorcycles are. You can't shift into 3rd and 4th and 5th etc without actually riding the bike at speed
EDIT: Oh and since the bike moves without the clutch being pulled in and in first gear you might want to check clutch adjustment, you definitely should be unable to move the bike with the bike in gear and clutch engaged

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #4
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

ya, the clutch grip is fine, no play, my buddy who is an avid dirtbiker came over and messed with it, says he don't know either. you can feel a drag and the motor is turning over, buddy wonders if it has compression. but it would have to have a spark plug out for that kinda leak right?
ryu hayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu hayabusa View Post
my bike is currently not running, but when i'm sitting on it in the garage and making engine sounds with my mouth and pretend speed shifting i can go from N to 1st, but not into any other gears, i can also roll the bike in 1st??? this is with the clutch not pulled in! my last bike would lock the tire if i moved it in gear. is my clutch shot? i just got this bike for 350$ so i'm not expecting much. even using the clutch i can get it to go beyond 1st. WTH?
Next time you are making engine sounds don't use your mouth.

I hope you have all your gear on while you are pretending. If you pretend to crash you might get pretend road rash.

Old August 25th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #6
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Kawi has a positive first gear finder. Even if the bike was running you could only shift to 1st while stopped. If you can roll it easily in gear then there is a problem of a slippling clutch (easy fix) or no/low compression (bigger problem).
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #7
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Check out this thread on clutch replacement if you feel like taking a deeper look at the clutch http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25301
How many miles does the bike have? might want to clean the carbs too...if it has low compression than as the above said that might be pita, but most things I have seen with low compression the machine will at least start for a bit and run like s*** then cut out (then again we only have two cylinders)

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #8
kkim

get the bike running first before you go looking for other problems to fix that may not matter if the engine doesn't start.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #9
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
get the bike running first before you go looking for other problems to fix that may not matter if the engine doesn't start.
+1

but for reference, you can shift through all the gears while the bike is stationary, if you can spin the rear-wheel, ie - rear stand, or if you roll the bike forward.

Second, the bike should not move while in gear, any gear, especially 1st.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #10
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

ok, i pulled the plugs last night, they are brand new NGK's, however one plug had an oily film on it??? also, it randomly will turn over, sometimes not. i think the starter button is fried. if i play with it (that's what she said...) i can get it to turn over. i can't fire it up yert as i am still getting the gas tank welded (the bracket that's riveted to the tank that holds on the upper fairing came out... anyway to fix this?

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #11
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

also, what should compression be on this engine? if it is the clutch, how hard is it to replace a clutch and how much? i'm just learning, so i wouldn't need cheap clutch, nothing fancy.

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Next time you are making engine sounds don't use your mouth.

I hope you have all your gear on while you are pretending. If you pretend to crash you might get pretend road rash.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #13
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

I posted a link further up on clutch replacement on an 07 ninja 250 should be the same you are going to do to your bike. Compression is 12:4:1 on the older ones I believe. Oil film on the plug could be due to a couple things bad valve guides or piston rings. So you might have to do a valve adjustment as well there is a DIY for that on here too. So you might have some issues with that cylinder where you pulled the plug from.

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
So you might have some issues with that cylinder where you pulled the plug from.
then again, maybe not. if he's cranking the starter and the carbs are working like they are supposed to, one would expect the plugs to get "wet" from gas if the bike doesn't start. Perhaps he has a problem with the other cylinder not providing gas through the carb????

is it oil or gas on the plugs? While you have the plugs out, did you check for spark on both plugs?

btw, fix the starter button first before it gets stuck in the on position and you're unable to turn it off.

Old August 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #15
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
then again, maybe not. if he's cranking the starter and the carbs are working like they are supposed to, one would expect the plugs to get "wet" from gas if the bike doesn't start. Perhaps he has a problem with the other cylinder not providing gas through the carb????
True it would get wet of gas, I was saying if in fact it is oily as he said

Old August 27th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #16
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

Yes I pulled the plugs they are both getting spark
the one plug was oily. Not greasey just a slick feeling in my hand
I wiped it off and hosed with carb cleaner
the compression I asked for isn't the ratio. I need it in psi
so I can do a compression test. Most Honda cars are 180-200psi

Old August 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #17
kkim

sorry, it really sounds like you need to get your hands on a service manual.

Old August 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #18
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

Anyone know where I can get a cheap
tank? Do all tanks from 88-2007 fit???

Old August 28th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #19
fivepin
ninjette.org member

Name: Cory

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

the psi rating is anywhere between 100 and 150 psi. if you get anything below that is ring or valves are shot. if you get above that there is a build up of carbon on the rings and valve seats. If you can get ahold of a leak down tester. this with the comp test will tell you everything going on in the engine that is mechanical. All kawasaki's has whats called a positive nutral finder. this will not alow you to shift into second gear without the bike moving at least 5 mph. if it is not shifting while moving the bearings are gummed up inside it. changing your oil may help with that. if you have ur vin# go onto kawasaki's web site and puch it in. there was a recall on this bike for the fuel tank. ( http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...D=2&intParts=0 ) if your bike still has this recall you can get a new tank from kawi for free.

Old August 28th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #20
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
You have to be actually riding the bike to get the bike to shift past 1st gear that is just how motorcycles are. You can't shift into 3rd and 4th and 5th etc without actually riding the bike at speed
EDIT: Oh and since the bike moves without the clutch being pulled in and in first gear you might want to check clutch adjustment, you definitely should be unable to move the bike with the bike in gear and clutch engaged
Not true my honda will shift into every gear with the bike turned off trust me bump starting in third is a lot easier on a 600 than first.

Old August 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Kawi is the only manufacturer that uses the positive neutral finder, which prevents going past neutral into second unless the countershaft is spinning.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote