ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 13th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #1
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

How was your 1st ride to and from Work/School/etc..

Hey all Ninjettez!

This thread is about your very 1st ride to and from work or school or anywhere you went, that wasnt around your block lol.

I had my very 1st ride to work 2 days ago! And it was the most fun I ever had while on my way to work! Lol! I couldn't believe I was actually doing it! I've only ride within my neighborhood, but nowhere as far as my work. So i was definitely scared because I hadnt been in major streets before! Thankfully my 1st ride to and from work was a success, boosting my confidence and skill on the road! The more you ride, the more you learn!

Well, anyways, before I go on and bore you I'll wrap it up. That's my 1st riding to work story. What's yours?
[#4]

Last futzed with by MotoED; August 13th, 2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Spelling Bee Error...
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I stalled at the stop light right before turning in to my work, got upset that my pride just died on the road and yanked the throttle after I turned it back on and popped a mini-wheelie. Scared the crap out of me but it was damn fun hahah.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

My first ride to school I left my keys in the ignition. Luckily class was canceled that day so I immediately went back to my bike.

Old August 13th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #4
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

i cant really rember my first real ride on a motorcycle.. nothing exciting happened i guess or i would of rembered, lol! do remember it was on a harley fatboy and i was thinking jeezus this bike is heavy..haha!
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #5
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

Lol! I remember when I also left the keys on the bike. I had taken off the back seat and had forgot to put it back on and left the key in "trunk" if you will. Luckily, I had parked my bike right in front of my work. So I noticed I didn't have the key and the back seat was off, I immediately went and put the seat back and take the key. I felt like such a NOOB for doing that LOL! oh well.. You learn from your mistakes.
[#4]
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren13 View Post
Lucked out there, heh.
LOOK GUYS FREE BIKE!
Haha yeah. I did have my rotor lock on it and it was parked in the motorcycle parking box. But the key to the lock is on the keyring the ignition key is on :x

Old August 13th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #7
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

My first ride to school/work (they're the same) was via a highway 15 or so miles, 1 mile of streets, and it was really cool because my mentor had finally given me permission to go solo! =]

Scariest part was it was my first vehicle and I was scared to park at school in fear of getting a parking ticket lol. I had no idea of the rules and regulations of the city/school parking.

Last futzed with by oblivion007; August 13th, 2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: fixed
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #8
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
My first ride to school I left my keys in the ignition. Luckily class was canceled that day so I immediately went back to my bike.
Was your bike in a different parking spot when you came back?

My first trip out on a road was nearly disastrous. I thought the road was nearly empty so I thought I would try this countersteering thing. Turn left to go right. OK. Then I get up to the intersection and here comes this dump truck coming the other way. Now I'm freaked. Left to go right. Right. Wrong. Truck coming. Just turn right. But then I went left right into the path of the truck. Fortunately the truck saw me in time and stopped. Then I decided I'd better stop too and pulled hard on both "front" brake levers. From my 10-speed days, rear brake is on the left handlebar. Of course that's not where they put the rear brake on a motorcycle. So now I'm doing a mini-stoppie. The only gear I had on was a bicycle helmet. That's when I decided its time to register for the MSF class.

After the MSF class, I have ridden as much as possible to increase my skill level. I've gone about 6000 miles so far which includes a lot of streets and also some on I-95. I haven't made it into the HOV lane yet, but I will some day. I-95 is a cesspool of drivers that refuse to signal when making abrupt lane changes.

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #9
mishka
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

My first ride I got caught in a thunderstorm.
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #10
mishka
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

It was horrible, I had no clue what to do, my only protective gear was a helmet and gloves. It was really windy and the wind just pushed me off the road. Then I stopped at a gas station to wait it out. After the rain died down it was a little after rush hour so traffic was heavy but moving so I had to deal with mist from their wheels.
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #11
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
I stalled at the stop light right before turning in to my work, got upset that my pride just died on the road and yanked the throttle after I turned it back on and popped a mini-wheelie. Scared the crap out of me but it was damn fun hahah.
I got stock parts and I've never had the front lift. Maybe coz I don't drop the clutch?

Btw, I hate riding to work/school. I wear gear, but not pants (I wear the leathers when I go for a real ride). I hate carrying my helmet, gloves, jacket. I feel like a douche. But whatever.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #12
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

I have driven my bike back and fourth to work several times now. School is back in and that makes it a lil hairy with the extra teen age traffic on my way in but my biggest worry has been deer. Where I live is very rural with a large deer population. I see them every week almost and especially on the way into work.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #13
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

my first ride ever on a motorcycle was on a 1975 Kawasaki F7 which my grandpa gave me. I was so eager to ride it that i didnt notice the front tire was flat. i began riding down my road and, as you know with a flat front tire, it was almost impossible to stay in control of the bike...which ended up in my driving across my neighbors lawn and then dumping it in the grass
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #14
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

First ride to work was relatively boring...except for me, I was thrilled...

on the way back it was a bit more exciting since there were so many cars around...good thing I made vids so I never forget

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #15
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

My first time on my bike I basically took it out to the street and went real fast (well it seemed at the time lol it was only like 45) then rode it to my house. I had a smile from ear to ear for a couple weeks, I wanted to get out of work so bad to just ride. I'm still that way. My third day I went on a 240 mile round trip to san diego from orange county lol

Old August 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #16
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
First ride to work was relatively boring...except for me, I was thrilled...

on the way back it was a bit more exciting since there were so many cars around...good thing I made vids so I never forget
That's awesome that you made vids.

I promise not to tell anyone about all the stop signs you ran.

I trust that now that you have a lot more experience that the cars don't pass you so easily like that anymore. Seemed like you were taking it kinda slow on your first day for safety reasons.

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #17
aznboi250r
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Kawasaki Ninja 250r

my first ride was freaking amazing! I love riding so much!
aznboi250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #18
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
That's awesome that you made vids.

I promise not to tell anyone about all the stop signs you ran.

I trust that now that you have a lot more experience that the cars don't pass you so easily like that anymore. Seemed like you were taking it kinda slow on your first day for safety reasons.
I only ran one stop sign and it was more of a rolling stop lol

And I usually drive slow anyways, I'm over the need for speed, now it's a need to have fun and stay alive and safe

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #19
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

My first solo ride was in June of 68. I decided to tour manhattan in mid day traffic. I stalled at every light,,,maybe 40 of 50 stalls. Lucky for me i had a tinted shield so nobody saw my face.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #20
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
My first time on my bike I basically took it out to the street and went real fast (well it seemed at the time lol it was only like 45) then rode it to my house. I had a smile from ear to ear for a couple weeks, I wanted to get out of work so bad to just ride. I'm still that way. My third day I went on a 240 mile round trip to san diego from orange county lol
Mine was about the same. I went around the parking lot at the dealer a couple times to get a feel for the throttle and clutch and then took off like a squid to my friend's house with a giant grin the whole way. I'm glad it wasn't a 600+ haha
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #21
Palero
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk GT 1989 EX250F (Died from left-turning car) 2011 EX250J (Died from SAME left-turning car)

Hey Moto!

My first ride to work was from Pasadena to Downtown Los Angeles.
Since I work at night, I decided to take the 110 South freeway.

My eyes were like this O_O the whole ride.

It's day 3 of me riding to work now, and I'm starting to get looser and more comfortable on the bike now.
Palero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #22
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

hmmm... stalled at a red light..lol.. but like the post above, while going back roads I thougt I was flying, looked down, only 45...lol.. My cheeks hurt when I got home from smiling so much. Oh.... and my head was on a swivil!!!! I was paranoid about everyone around me. Amazing how much you get more and more comforable every week. Now, comfy and cozy every ride.

Old August 17th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #23
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

I literally rode 30 miles in the beginning of March with snow still on the sides of the rode in about 20 degree weather. It was my first time ever on my bike, or on a bike outside of the MSF or my parent's Harleys around the block. I was bundled up, and while the windchill was like -2 (for real) I wasn't cold. I think the adrenaline was going insane or something.

That's seriously a true story haha.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #24
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

I planned a new route to work my first ride... took the Interstate vs. regular streets since I wanted to avoid stop and go traffic (was such a noob with the clutch, I would often stall). I also wanted to avoid intersections as much as possible.

Then I rode my new route to work on a weekend as practice.

I still pretty much take the same route whenever I ride in. Primarily because of the fun speeding on the Interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon76 View Post
hmmm... stalled at a red light..lol.. but like the post above, while going back roads I thougt I was flying, looked down, only 45...lol.. My cheeks hurt when I got home from smiling so much. Oh.... and my head was on a swivil!!!! I was paranoid about everyone around me. Amazing how much you get more and more comforable every week. Now, comfy and cozy every ride.
I was, and am still a little, paranoid on the bike. I think the helmet kind of adds to the feeling. Kind of claustrophobic...
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #25
r311music
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX6R

My first ride on a public road didn't go so well. I had been riding around my apartment complex without any problems for three days. So I decided to venture out onto the real streets.

One thing that I hate about Orlando, is there is always traffic, and a lot of it. Plus a ton of terrible drivers. So I wait for what I think is a large opening in traffic to make a left out my complex since I wanted to do a slow takeoff. As soon as I pulled onto the road, I was taking it easy in 1st, when a car comes flying around the corner right at me. Being a new rider, I panicked and loaded up on the throttle. Everything was fine until I realized I needed to shift as I was approaching 12k rpm. I'm new to manual transmissions, so I totally forgot to let off the throttle when I shifted up to second. The bike jumped around like crazy. Luckily I remembered to pull the clutch in and let the bike stabilize before pulling off to the side to regroup. After that the rest of the ride went fine. I got up to 45mph and it felt like I was going way faster ha.

While I have no regrets in getting a "little" 250, this one moment reminded me why I got one to start out with. I have a feeling if I would have done the same on a 600 I would have had a meeting with some asphalt. I am officially on the start with the 250 bandwagon now!

-Rob
r311music is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #26
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r311music View Post
One thing that I hate about Orlando, is there is always traffic, and a lot of it. Plus a ton of terrible drivers.
We're ranked #2 in the worst cities to drive in the United states. Also, there's like 3 or 4 other Florida cities that made it in the top 10. I'm so proud . lol.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote