ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Zomb1eFaceKilla
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250r (Blue)

Torque without a power wrench?

Just wondering how do I know how much torque I am putting on the bolt for the Oil Filter housing if I do not have some sort of electric wrench?
Zomb1eFaceKilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You don't need an electric wrench, you need a torque wrench. There are basically two types. One type you dial up a certain torque you're trying to reach, then as you tighten the bolt when it reaches the set torque you can hear it click and feel it give. The other type has a visible dial on it that measures the torque as you are applying it. Search for "torque wrench" on this board and you'll likely find a few other threads with more info. (or just scroll to the bottom of this page and it will automatically show similar threads that may be what you're looking for)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Run to your local Harbor Freight and pick one up for $20.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Zomb1eFaceKilla
ninjette.org member

Ok thanks. I normally dont worry about torque as my other bike is old and seemed not to leak. Its good to know and will defently become helpful

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Zomb1eFaceKilla
ninjette.org member

Ok any suggestions how to get the bolt for the oil filter housing lose? Ive tried for 30mins and it wont budge. Counter clockwise right? Im afraid I will strip it. This is the first oil change its had so Im guessing it hasnt ben off since the factory.

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moving to New-Gen tech talk

Have you looked through the oil-change DIY yet? It's in the sticky thread in the tech section. There are some tips there to get through this step by step.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Zomb1eFaceKilla
ninjette.org member

Yeah Ive looked at it. Ill look again.

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You're right, I just opened it the thread myself and it doesn't have any more info other than just remove it. It's definitely counterclockwise. Sounds like Mongo the Wonder-Assembler put some extra oomph into yours at the factory.

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Zomb1eFaceKilla
ninjette.org member

Yeah I read it again and it gave me an idea. Since Im working with crap tools I hit the wratchet with a hammer and it broke free. Im glad I got it because the bolt was starting to look like it was getting near strip.

Old February 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #10
seedanpaint
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I use an old bicycle seat post as a "persuader" or breaker bar. Slips right over the socket wrench and gives a little more power to get the filter cover nut loose.
seedanpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #11
Zomb1eFaceKilla
ninjette.org member

My dad told me as long as everything is tight that I shouldnt worry about the exact torque. Is this ok?

Old February 25th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #12
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

You should be fine on the Oil plug, just don't over torque it. But if you are working on more critical engine components, then torque settings are extremely important. If you plan on doing your own valves, then you should definately get one. You can buy a cheep torque wrench from harbor freight, it is worth the investment.

Also pick your self up a cheap 3/8 breaker bar, (a long one) then you can easily take off any bolt you ever come accross. If you are too cheep for a breaker bar, learn the box end wrench trick.

Old February 25th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #13
tjkamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomb1eFaceKilla View Post
Yeah I read it again and it gave me an idea. Since Im working with crap tools I hit the wratchet with a hammer and it broke free. Im glad I got it because the bolt was starting to look like it was getting near strip.
Using impact (hammer) on a bolt is not a good idea. It may work fine the first few times; however, it is easy to strip the head of the bold/plug then you have a big problem on your hands. Steady constant pressure with a lot of torque is the best way.

Old February 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #14
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

whats the box end wrench trick? i searched the web but didnt see anything that looked like it might be what youre talking about

Old March 1st, 2010, 06:40 AM   #15
tjkamper

This trick requires two (box end/open end) wrenches. Place the first wrenches box end over the bolt head. Then, link the second wrenches box end around the bottom prong of the first wrench as shown in the picture. This alows you to apply greater torque by pressing on the second wrench.

remember, that this is unidirectional and you will have to reverse the set up to turn clockwise. However, I would not recomend ever doing this as there is little need ever to apply this much force to tighten a bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrench trick.jpg (36.8 KB, 3 views)

Last futzed with by tjkamper; March 1st, 2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Adding attached picture
tjkamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2010, 06:55 AM   #16
tjkamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomb1eFaceKilla View Post
If you ever do end up stripping a head and the threads are still good there is cheep way of getting the bold out. Get a pair of vice grips and lock them on the bolt. Then place a piece of metal pipe over the handle and pull on the pipe.

(The trick with vice grips is to get them as tight as you possible can. Tighten them to the point where you can just bearly lock them by using all of your strength).

As long as the threads are good, the bolt will come out and you'll save yourself from having to drill it out and tap a new hole.

Through all bolt/plugs that show any signs of where in the trash and replace them. If it almost stripped this time, next time it will.

Old March 1st, 2010, 12:33 PM   #17
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
This trick requires two (box end/open end) wrenches. Place the first wrenches box end over the bolt head. Then, link the second wrenches box end around the bottom prong of the first wrench as shown in the picture. This alows you to apply greater torque by pressing on the second wrench.

remember, that this is unidirectional and you will have to reverse the set up to turn clockwise. However, I would not recomend ever doing this as there is little need ever to apply this much force to tighten a bolt.
nice, thanks for the info. I agree that there is little need to apply this much force to tighten a bolt, but I'm sure that this technique will come in handy at least once for one reason or another. It's always good to know these sorts of tricks.

Old March 1st, 2010, 12:45 PM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
One type you dial up a certain torque you're trying to reach, then as you tighten the bolt when it reaches the set torque you can hear it click and feel it give.
Not exactly true.

My Sears Dig-Tork (the type you're referring to) will yield noticeably when it reaches the selected torque -- you can definitely feel it give -- but it will not "click" in the sense that a ratchet clicks. You MAY hear the innards reaching their stops as they yield, but there's no real "click."

It's a small thing, but it can lead the uninitiated to keep pulling and pulling and pulling... looking for the click....

ouch.

Hey, it's happened. Some guy here or over on KF was under the impression that the wrench would let go entirely when the torque target was reached. He way, WAY overtightened the fastener because he just didn't know when to stop.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Makes sense. I think I have a craftsman one, and when it gives there is a little click. But you're right, the key part is the "give", not necessarily the click.

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:23 PM   #20
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Buddy of mine has a snap on i think. Digital display and beep when set torque is reached. Nice when you can't see the display that well.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #21
Snoman13
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 09 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Hey, it's happened. Some guy here or over on KF was under the impression that the wrench would let go entirely when the torque target was reached. He way, WAY overtightened the fastener because he just didn't know when to stop.
You rang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman13 View Post
So, the oil change didn't go too well...

In retrospect, I probably should've YouTube'd how to properly use a torque wrench before attempting it.

My assumption was that when it reached the set torque amount, it'd pop free and then the handle would just travel freely. This is apparently not the case. I kept tightening and tightening and still no pop that I was waiting for. After getting planted with two feet and then getting ready, I rip on the handle and "POP" I just shattered my new $150 torque wrench and as a result now know I have the oil filter cap on WAY WAY *WAY* too tightly.

The amount of force I tightened it with needed a 4 foot breaker bar to undo my retardation.

So, now, best case scenario; I need a new wrench. Worst case, new wrench and new bike parts

G*ddam*it.
Snoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #22
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

my torque wrench from harbor freight survived the fire... not bad for $20