ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 7th, 2019, 03:15 PM   #1
Theorist
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2005 250

What wiring line should I use for accessory LED lights?

I installed some combination LED turn signals that also act as white parking lights in front and flashing brake lights in back. The rear pair are working great. The front work great when the key in in the ON position but the engine isn't running.

When the engine is running, however, the front pair flicker, flash, and occasionally even act as a turning signal (flowing yellow) when they should act as a parking light (solid white.) Engine speed also send to effect the behavior stochastically, tending to misbehave more soon after startup and at high RPMs.

I didn't test the power demands of the LED lights and the Amazon seller did not list it, but based on brightness, I'd guess there white parking lights draw around 0.5 Amps or 6W each, which doesn't seem like much, but could be in comparison to the little display panel bulbs. I've removed the little turn signal bulb in the instrument panel. The turn signals have their own internal electronics and need a constant per supply when acting as turn signals, so I bypassed the thermomechanical flasher relay and just connected the lines going into the relay.

I've done checked the connections and those seem solid, but am thinking of using solder to be sure. I'm also thinking it may be a problem with the power being fed to the lights, especially for the parking light function. I'm using the bike's turn signal leads for ground and turn signal power. For the LED paying lights, I'm using the line for the instrument panel lights.

I'm wondering if I should use the line for the tail light (a bit harder if I don't want to touch the lines going to the key), a relay switch using the always on accessory power leads and the instrument lights or tail light line.

What lines have others used for accessory LED lights? What would you recommend?
Theorist is offline   Reply With Quote