ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 13th, 2015, 07:17 AM   #1
Paulgello
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

What to check for when buying used?

Alright guys, I'm going to pick up a used 300 on Sunday and I need some help. My first bike purchase, an 07' 250 I had a friend come along and give it the once over to make sure I wasn't buying a death trap. He isn't available this weekend so I'm hoping you guys could offer me some tips and ideas on what to check on once I get there. Oil color, chain tension/condition, fluid levels, leaking/twisted forks, etc are all things I've read about but don't necessarily have knowledge on checking for.

Thanks in advance guys!
Paulgello is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2015, 07:43 AM   #2
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Test ride. If you've been riding for more than a few months, if something feels off, you'll notice it right away.

Ask for maintenance records. If he/she did the maintenance himself, ask for receipts for oil, filter, air filter, brake fluid, chain cleaner, chain lube, etc.

I personally don't have receipts. But I do take pics each time I do an oil change or some other maintained.

Also, my garage is full of chain lube, motor oil (moto type), extra filters, etc. So if you see his garage and he has absolutely no tools and he claims he did all the maintenance, start firing friendly questions. Ask basic stuff like "how many quarts did you have to buy for your last oil change" or how did you measure chain slack. Or "did you turn those adjuster nuts clockwise or counterclockwise to tighten the chain".

If you're worried about a dropped bike, check mirrors, bar ends and peg feelers for rough patches. Those usually hit first on drops.

Old June 13th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Also, my garage is full of chain lube, motor oil (moto type), extra filters, etc. So if you see his garage and he has absolutely no tools and he claims he did all the maintenance, start firing friendly questions. Ask basic stuff like "how many quarts did you have to buy for your last oil change" or how did you measure chain slack. Or "did you turn those adjuster nuts clockwise or counterclockwise to tighten the chain".
I do my own maintenance and I don't remember any of those details.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
me neither.

But an organized workspace and good tools -- yeah, a very good indication of proper maintenance. Factory maintenance manual on the shelf? Perhaps the best indication of all.

Also, people who maintain their bikes keep 'em reasonably clean and tidy. If the thing looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet, as the saying goes, then it probably has.

If it feels funky, it is funky.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
"did you turn those adjuster nuts clockwise or counterclockwise to tighten the chain".
That one isn't a fair question. I have no idea which way to go. I have to think it through every time. I don't have tiny little details like that commited to memory!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulgello View Post
.......... My first bike purchase, an 07' 250 I had a friend come along and give it the once over to make sure I wasn't buying a death trap. He isn't available this weekend..........
Wait until the next weekend

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64673

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
How does it look?
Does it idle nicely?
How does it ride?
Does it ride smoothly (no flat spots in accelerating)?
Do all the instruments and lights work?
Do the brakes work nicely?
Are the rotors in nice shape?
Is there meat on the brake pads?
Is the brake fluid nice and clear (or ever-so-slightly pale yellow?
When coasting, let go of the handlebars: does it go straight?
Any funny wobbles?
Any oil leaks?
Can you smell antifreeze? (not a good thing).
Any dents or dings?
How are the wheels?
How are the tires? (a negotiating point)

Last futzed with by dcj13; June 13th, 2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Fix typo.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Fair enough guys. Perhaps those are all too detailed questions. But even if he can't remember.....he may say something like "hmmm, I'm not sure, but let's take a quick look at the rear adjustors and see which way it should go" or "let me take a look at the owner's manual to see how many quarts is required" and if he takes out the owners manual and it has some dirty marks with oil and finger prints, you know he's telling the truth.

But I agree with adouglas, if he has a nice tool chest....chances are, he did the wrenching.