ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 22nd, 2022, 06:46 PM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I am back!!!! Lots of work to do....

For those of you who have never heard from me, I'm one of the OG members from the '08 release. I was around when kkim was posting and have even made a few contributions back in the day.

Then, life got in the way. Baby #3 was a miscarriage and we had winterized the bike with my pregnancy in 2014. A successful pregnancy later, and way too much time spent at dance, scouts, and teaching, and my poor Nightshade has spent the last 7.5 years mostly untouched. I did try to get her started at one point in there, but the battery was toast, despite the battery tender.

Thus, we now begin the process of documenting the rebuild. Today was spent on disassembly. It took a while to remember everything I learned back in the day, but I found the screwkeeper I had designed, and a friend and I got to work. And yes @Alex I do still wrench on the bike with my wedding rings on

After working a bit, I had to go to a dance recital and be a ballerina with a mother-daughter dance. Then back to keep working.

So far:
She is pretty naked
I have gotten the tank off and some of the gas out
I am *TRYING* to get the airbox out, but not having any luck yet. I really don't want to have to remove the rear wheel, but I don't know what I still need to do here to get it out
She did run with the lawn tractor battery attached and a small shot of MAF cleaner in the carbs.
The carbs look surprisingly good. I started trying to get the airbox out to make it easier to pull them, but I did at least run them dry before storing her.

The good -
She ran!
I found all of my old info to work on her, and I remembered how to log in here!
I have my printed tutorials from the kkim days, and the service manual

The bad -
The gas is bad. Like REALLY bad. Like I'm scared to see what the inside of the tank looks like bad. It's red and chunky
The gas will not drain through the petcock at all when on prime. Decided it's better to not try.
I have not figured out the best way to get the bad gas out.
I don't know what to do with the bad gas when I do get it out.
I'm assuming the fuel filters and petcock and gas cap assembly will need a lot of work.

My to do list:
Get the damn airbox out
Pull the carbs
Figure out what is going on with and repair gas tank
Change the oil
Drain the coolant system
Inspect/replace hoses
New tires?
Does Area P still sell the amazing exhaust? If so, I might want to do the K&N air filter replacement and not put the airbox back in, and change the jets while the carbs are out...

So, wise ones. It's been a hot minute. I welcome any and all advice. Especially in dealing with the gas tank which seems to be my biggest problem.

Photo tax:
New Ninja in the snow, March '09

Current state:

Carbs:

Gas Tank:

Last futzed with by noche_caliente; May 22nd, 2022 at 07:10 PM. Reason: add photos
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:40 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Great to hear from you, Noche!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2022, 01:18 AM   #3
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi and welcome back!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2022, 09:57 AM   #4
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Oh no, that tank! Looks like a line it or replace it sort of deal
Have fun with the resurrection, and welcome back

Old May 23rd, 2022, 11:07 AM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Hi there!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:37 PM   #6
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

Welcome back

Old May 23rd, 2022, 04:14 PM   #7
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great to have you back again @noche caliente (hot night). As you can see there are still a few of us “old timers” still around lol.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2022, 12:30 AM   #8
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Glad to see you back!

I've got a rusted tank too that I used vinegar/water and baking soda on. It cleared out a bunch of rust but don't think it'd do a full clean. I just left it and will get back to it someday but thought that'd be something you can try!

Definitely keep us posted!!

Old May 29th, 2022, 05:33 PM   #9
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Welcome back! I have run into some of your many posts in my many deep dives for info in this forum.

That tank certainly appears to be shot, I would definitely get a new one, I don't think I have ever seen one that far gone though, that is crazy!

Just scored my first new-gen 250 after selling/getting stolen all my previous yellow pre-gens. Mine is the same black as yours, and is just as naked, these bikes seem destined to be naked until completely issue-free lol.

Here is a great article from @VeX for removing the airbox.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2022, 07:55 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
why remove airbox? To pull carbs? no need. Just pull airbox+carbs back 1/4" and remove left rubber manifold between carb & head. This gives enough room to pull carbs out left side.

I do this twice a day at track since optimum afternoon jetting requires going down one size main-jets compared to morning mixtures. Then I repeat on Sunday.

Tank looks like prime candidate for electrolysis... https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-proofing.html
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2022, 05:29 AM   #11
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Tank looks like prime candidate for electrolysis... https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-proofing.html
or a last ditch effort using POR-15 (3 part) coating system
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote