ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #41
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

ah...makes sense, i'm the opposite, you'll never catch me wearing anyting without heels. even when i go hiking i have boots with heels. loool
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #42
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post
Congrats! I can't wait to ride my bike to campus one of these days. Just need to figure out how to take everything with me lol. (books and laptop etc). On the N thing..my bike does this all the time. The newer models find N by themselves when stoped for a certain amount of time (and the N light will not turn on). I just roll the throttle back some to check if I'm in N or not right before the light turns green. Either that or I just put it in N to be on the safe side Congrats once again!
Thank you!
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #43
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Congrats! I can't wait to ride my bike to campus one of these days. Just need to figure out how to take everything with me lol. (books and laptop etc). On the N thing..my bike does this all the time. The newer models find N by themselves when stoped for a certain amount of time (and the N light will not turn on). I just roll the throttle back some to check if I'm in N or not right before the light turns green. Either that or I just put it in N to be on the safe side Congrats once again!

A nice, big tailbag could do the trick for ya!
Hey, I live in Athens. Which campus are you referring to? It'd be great to find a female friend to ride with!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #44
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
ah...makes sense, i'm the opposite, you'll never catch me wearing anyting without heels. even when i go hiking i have boots with heels. loool
I can't IMAGINE this! I don't even own a pair of heels! lol!
Rosie, I love my alpine star boots. They offer super ankle protection too. Here's a link:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...X-5-Boots.aspx

Dang, I'd forgotten they were THAT expensive. Sure hope I got them on sale! :-) Either way, they're worth it and I LOVE them. They're even comfy enough to wear for a day on your feet at work. I found that out the hard way when I rode to school one day and forgot to bring my dress shoes. lol! Luckily I had on black pants, so they were pretty obscure.

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #45
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I think it's a matter of getting used to them. I used to wear high heels back.. well.. many years ago (around 15.. yes, I'm old ) and back then I had no issues, but then again, I was 20!

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #46
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Are you tall Ally? when you're the size of a smurf...like me, then you do whatever it takes to be "tall". lol when i wear tennis shoes, my feet start to hurt cuz i'm so use to the heels. i'm totally gonna regret this when i get older.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #47
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Rosie, I love my alpine star boots. They offer super ankle protection too. Here's a link:

Dang, I'd forgotten they were THAT expensive. Sure hope I got them on sale! :-) Either way, they're worth it and I LOVE them. They're even comfy enough to wear for a day on your feet at work. I found that out the hard way when I rode to school one day and forgot to bring my dress shoes. lol! Luckily I had on black pants, so they were pretty obscure.
You're like me then, no high heels for me!

Really nice boots.. but REALLY expensive! But then again, you get what you pay for

Old August 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #48
LuxMundi
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R Black

Thanks for sharing your commuting story!

I have been riding into ATL recently, which is an adventure!

The worst thing is once I arrive, parking consists of muddy gravel with huge ruts caused by dumptrucks. Off-roading is interesting in the ninjette, but she takes it all in stride.

Good luck with your commute!
LuxMundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #49
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Are you tall Ally? when you're the size of a smurf...like me, then you do whatever it takes to be "tall". lol when i wear tennis shoes, my feet start to hurt cuz i'm so use to the heels. i'm totally gonna regret this when i get older.
Wish I were an inch or two taller when I ride my 650, but I'm 5'5".
Yeah, guess it's like thongs vs granny. It's all in what you're used to. lol!

Old August 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #50
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Yeah, guess it's like thongs vs granny.
I read this quickly as thongs on granny. Can't get the image out of my mind.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #51
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Congrats. While riding to work is fun, you do need to be extra cautious as you are also sharing the road with a lot of drivers who are trying to get to work as well. Some of them could be running late and trying to make up time. Some could be distracted (checking text, email, drinking coffee, etc). Some have an "auto pilot" mindset since they drive that road everyday. Always expect the unexpected. Take advantage of any situation where you can get away from being boxed in.

As for the neutral thing, my guess is you came to a stop in 2nd thinking you were in first. When you let the clutch out to move forward, the bike switched to neutral.

No biggy. I've done that before on my bike, and mine has a gear indicator.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #52
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Rosie, good to hear everything went well. Your commute will soon turn into the favorite part of your day, and you'll start finding the long, and very-long ways to work... :P

My commute use to be 20min/15 miles... On the way home it can sometimes turn into 150miles - 2.5hrs.... Like on a Friday afternoon or something.... Good thing the twisties are so close....

Anyways, concerning the neutral thing, let me share my experience. I have had a lot of false neutrals on the bike, and after analyzing all of them, I find they're all user error. Not pointing the finger at you, simply sharing my own mishaps. I've found if you sit with the clutch in, at a stop, and you're not already in the gear you wish, the transmission stops spinning completely, and has no momentum to be able to engage a gear with. If you find yourself in this situation, letting the clutch out for a hot second, and then shifting usually does the trick (this is equivalent to rolling the bike forward or backward), either way your spinning the gears in the transmission, which allows the gears to engage.

To battle this issue (and because I'm beyond lazy to hold the clutch in through an entire red traffic light), I usually shift to neutral at a stop light and let the clutch out. To get going I pull in the clutch, shift, and rock off... So what ever you're comfortable with.

And yes, it is probably safer to leave the bike in gear, with the clutch pulled at an intersection so that if somebody doesn't stop in time, behind you, you can scootch forward to avoid an accident, but whatever you feel comfortable with.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #53
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
No biggy. I've done that before on my bike, and mine has a gear indicator.
Gear indicator! I want one! Do they make one for my bike??
I'm tired of trying to count gears and always loosing count anyhow

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #54
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
Anyways, concerning the neutral thing, let me share my experience. I have had a lot of false neutrals on the bike, and after analyzing all of them, I find they're all user error. Not pointing the finger at you, simply sharing my own mishaps. I've found if you sit with the clutch in, at a stop, and you're not already in the gear you wish, the transmission stops spinning completely, and has no momentum to be able to engage a gear with. If you find yourself in this situation, letting the clutch out for a hot second, and then shifting usually does the trick (this is equivalent to rolling the bike forward or backward), either way your spinning the gears in the transmission, which allows the gears to engage.
No worries, I knew it was my own error.. not exactly a PRO here yet

Thanks for the VERY useful info you just gave me. I'll try the "let go of the clutch for a bit" thing on my way home and see how that goes!

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #55
ninjagirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Nicky

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
A nice, big tailbag could do the trick for ya!
Hey, I live in Athens. Which campus are you referring to? It'd be great to find a female friend to ride with!
I actually go to Clatyon State down in Clayton County ... Wish I could go to UGA but you know gotta do what I gotta do lol

and your welcome Ally

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #56
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

I think it's awesome that you're commuting already. I started riding last year and still haven't really worked up the guts to ride to work. Tons of idiot drivers out there during rush hour... I figure if my boyfriend (on an ORANGE V-strom with hi-viz patches on his jacket) still gets people changing lanes into him, there's not much hope for me on my little black bike.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #57
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
I think it's awesome that you're commuting already. I started riding last year and still haven't really worked up the guts to ride to work. Tons of idiot drivers out there during rush hour... I figure if my boyfriend (on an ORANGE V-strom with hi-viz patches on his jacket) still gets people changing lanes into him, there's not much hope for me on my little black bike.
True, rush hour is bad and there's idiots cutting you off all the time. I try to keep my morning commute at around 7 a.m., and my afternoon commute no later than 4:00 so traffic is still not too horrible.
Obviously I am way more careful and keep my distance from cars ahead and keep tapping my breaks to warn people behind me. This morning I had a few cars pass me as I wasn't going fast enough for them (although I was about 5 mph over the speed limit), and I honestly don't care. They can pass me as much as they want. I'd rather keep myself out of trouble!

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #58
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
There are some after market indicators. Not sure how they work, or if they would work with your bike.

I don't really pay attention to the gear indicator that much. Most of the time I know what gear I am in by feel.

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #59
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

Congrats on commuting to work! I've only done it twice (43 miles round trip), and both times were a failure. My bike overheated the first time, and the second time I crashed.

Stay very alert, and practice emergency stops especially because you are lane-splitting!

Good luck!

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #60
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
True, rush hour is bad and there's idiots cutting you off all the time. I try to keep my morning commute at around 7 a.m., and my afternoon commute no later than 4:00 so traffic is still not too horrible.
Obviously I am way more careful and keep my distance from cars ahead and keep tapping my breaks to warn people behind me. This morning I had a few cars pass me as I wasn't going fast enough for them (although I was about 5 mph over the speed limit), and I honestly don't care. They can pass me as much as they want. I'd rather keep myself out of trouble!
It's fine to let people pass you, as long as they are not boxing you in. But being boxed in is about the worst place you can be when commuting. Especially if it is in a middle lane of traffic.

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #61
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darling Ninja View Post
Congrats on commuting to work! I've only done it twice (43 miles round trip), and both times were a failure. My bike overheated the first time, and the second time I crashed.
Good luck!
I'm sorry to hear that!
43 miles is a lot.. I hope not to crash, and will do my very best to stay alert and away from crazy drivers. Truth is, sometimes there's not much you can do. I am hoping to fill my bag with experience before my bag of luck runs out (I love that statement on your signature)

Old August 30th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #62
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Quote:

Hahaha that sounds like me. I got used to heels briefly but I love sneakers way too much and I'm on my feet all day. I feel like I'm too tall with heels on, and I don't like being taller than guys. I'm 5'6 ... my sister is 5'11 and my parents are both 5'11 so technically I'm a shorty in my family lol.

Sidi also makes a great boot too but they are expensive as well.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #63
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
I actually go to Clatyon State down in Clayton County ... Wish I could go to UGA but you know gotta do what I gotta do lol

and your welcome Ally
Cool! I ride up to Clayton all the time on my way to the mts. :-) We're practically neighbors. :-)

Old August 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #64
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

The ride home was a bit more intense due to heavier traffic.. but I made it

Old August 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #65
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The ride home was a bit more intense due to heavier traffic.. but I made it
Good for you.

Old August 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #66
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Yay! You riding again tomorrow?

Old August 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #67
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

I wish I could ride to work everyday. But its too much of a hassle having to change when I get to work. I can normally work it out on Friday when we can dress "casually".

Old August 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #68
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Yay! You riding again tomorrow?

You bet!
I need to practice practice and practice or I'll never get this thing down!

Old August 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #69
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I wish I could ride to work everyday. But its too much of a hassle having to change when I get to work. I can normally work it out on Friday when we can dress "casually".
No dress codes in my office unless we expect visitors, I like that

Old August 30th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #70
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R "Passion Red"

Awesome!

I hope to ride to work soon!!! Hope it was fun! Bet it was relaxing when you got out!

Old August 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #71
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee View Post
I hope to ride to work soon!!! Hope it was fun! Bet it was relaxing when you got out!
The ride back home was not too relaxing due to traffic.. but I'm still looking forward to tomorrow's ride! At least nobody cut me off or anything.. just a couple of cages were not too happy about me being in front of the line after doing some lane splitting (it's legal here) and showed me all their "power" by accelerating real fast when the light turned green
I didn't care.. I wasn't looking for a race for sure!

Old August 30th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #72
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The ride back home was not too relaxing due to traffic.. but I'm still looking forward to tomorrow's ride! At least nobody cut me off or anything.. just a couple of cages were not too happy about me being in front of the line after doing some lane splitting (it's legal here) and showed me all their "power" by accelerating real fast when the light turned green
I didn't care.. I wasn't looking for a race for sure!
Not sure what your traffic situation is there, but you might want to think twice about lane splitting until you are more comfortable riding in traffic. I know its legal there, but that doesn't mean you have to do it. Especially if you're pulling up front and then going slower than the cars.

Old August 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #73
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
After some seat time, both gear indicators and gas gauges are useless. You'll soon know what gear you're in by your tach (or sound) and what speed you're riding.
You'll soon find that you shift up/down depending on what rpm you're in, so the gear you're in won't really matter. The only times it will is when you try to shift to 7th (that'll stop after awhile too) and when you're looking for first at a stop. Shifting into first will give a clunk and won't downshift any further even if you tried.
Congrats on your first ride alone
I always look forward to riding to and from work everyday.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #74
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Not sure what your traffic situation is there, but you might want to think twice about lane splitting until you are more comfortable riding in traffic. I know its legal there, but that doesn't mean you have to do it. Especially if you're pulling up front and then going slower than the cars.
I'm not going slower than the cars, I keep up with them as long as they're not trying to race, in which case I just let them. And I only do lane splitting if the traffic has come to a complete stop and there's enough space for me to go, otherwise I just stay in the back, like I do most of the times anyhow

Old August 30th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #75
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
After some seat time, both gear indicators and gas gauges are useless. You'll soon know what gear you're in by your tach (or sound) and what speed you're riding.
You'll soon find that you shift up/down depending on what rpm you're in, so the gear you're in won't really matter. The only times it will is when you try to shift to 7th (that'll stop after awhile too) and when you're looking for first at a stop. Shifting into first will give a clunk and won't downshift any further even if you tried.
Yeah I guess I need more time to be able to know what gear I'm in, right now it's all a guessing game (mostly wrong guessing)

Old August 30th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #76
DAKINECHICk
-

Name: Liz

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Suzuki GSXr 750

Quote:
I totally agree. Knowing what gear you are in will become second nature in no time. It's all about riding and getting to know your bike. You will learn ALL kinds of things the more you ride. I know every little sound, detail, etc about my bike when I'm out on him. (Yep, it's a him LoL) It's just about time and experience. KEEP RIDING! You got this!!

Old August 31st, 2010, 05:13 AM   #77
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
The only times it will is when you try to shift to 7th (that'll stop after awhile too)
Cool! There's still hope for me! I often try for a 7th gear.

Old August 31st, 2010, 07:14 AM   #78
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I agree. But I would add, I have no idea at what RPM I shift. It varies based on my riding conditions. If I am accelerating hard, I shift at a higher RPM and vice versa. For me, it's more in the feel of the bike and the estimated speed I am traveling to determine what gear I am in. I normally do not have an issue looking for 7th gear as I don't normally reach a shifting point in 6th. Although sometimes I will get up on the highway and then realize I am still in 5th.

Old August 31st, 2010, 07:15 AM   #79
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I'm not going slower than the cars, I keep up with them as long as they're not trying to race, in which case I just let them. And I only do lane splitting if the traffic has come to a complete stop and there's enough space for me to go, otherwise I just stay in the back, like I do most of the times anyhow
Sounds good. Just keep it safe.

Old August 31st, 2010, 07:53 AM   #80
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKINECHICk View Post
It's just about time and experience. KEEP RIDING! You got this!!
Thank you!!