ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Notices

Old July 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #1
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Anyone Tried the Twisted Throttle Alu-rack Top Rack?

Someone posted a link to this in another thread, and I was curious if anyone has used it. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6805/704/

I've got to say, it looks really nice. Probably the least obtrusive rack I've ever seen, with no trunk on it's barely noticeable and follows the lines nicely.

NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #2
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I don't have one on my Ninjette but I had one on my old Z750S. It was very well made and looked great.

Old July 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #3
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I don't have one on my Ninjette but I had one on my old Z750S. It was very well made and looked great.
Hey bluepoof,

Are these racks made to be permanently mounted to the bikes... meaning it more hassle than it worth to put em on and take em off only when I want to use them?

Old July 7th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #4
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Looks like it wouldn't clear a cowl
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #5
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibunkid.206 View Post
Hey bluepoof,

Are these racks made to be permanently mounted to the bikes... meaning it more hassle than it worth to put em on and take em off only when I want to use them?
That's right. They're meant to be permanently attached.

Old July 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #6
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibunkid.206 View Post
Hey bluepoof,

The undertail mount requires you to get into the passenger seat and the foot peg mounts require you to take off both pegs. Very secure I would imagine but not something you would want to be removing often. I know because I'm using those same undertail mounts. Major headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Looks like it wouldn't clear a cowl
You're probably right but I think the designers of this bracket intended on keeping it as close to the center of the bike as possible. Adding so much weight so high up and far back can cause handling changes that you arent expecting. If you had to, I suppose you could do some dremeling to get the cowl to just barely slip under.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #7
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

Looks good, but it still amazes me that none of the aftermarket luggage companies haven't come out a simple plate system that replaces the passenger seat, so one can attach a top case. That is pretty much much what every sportbike owner would like. Simple, quick, none intrussive and no brackets.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #8
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPHYN View Post
Looks good, but it still amazes me that none of the aftermarket luggage companies haven't come out a simple plate system that replaces the passenger seat, so one can attach a top case. That is pretty much much what every sportbike owner would like. Simple, quick, none intrussive and no brackets.
Might be a liability thing if the passenger seat pops off. It's the one thing I'm concerned with when people talk about using the passenger seat as the mounting point. Dont get me wrong, I think it's the perfect way, just need another form of reinforcement so the locking mechanism isnt the only thing holding it on.

Old July 10th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #9
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Might be a liability thing if the passenger seat pops off. It's the one thing I'm concerned with when people talk about using the passenger seat as the mounting point. Dont get me wrong, I think it's the perfect way, just need another form of reinforcement so the locking mechanism isnt the only thing holding it on.
That's why I drilled a hole and put a bolt through from the undertail into the trunk... very solid.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #10
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

I currently use a corteck tailbag and a duffle bag attached to the top of that. Which I mount to the bike only using the passenger seat and have never had a problem. And besides the seat latch isn't that much different than the systems they use for quick-lock side luggage. they don't have a problem with liability issues there. I will probably find an extra passenger seat and do my own. It would just be nice to have a metal base than a plastic, but I don't have a computerized 3-d CNC machine.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #11
setasai

Quote:
I currently use a corteck tailbag and a duffle bag attached to the top of that. Which I mount to the bike only using the passenger seat and have never had a problem. And besides the seat latch isn't that much different than the systems they use for quick-lock side luggage. they don't have a problem with liability issues there. I will probably find an extra passenger seat and do my own. It would just be nice to have a metal base than a plastic, but I don't have a computerized 3-d CNC machine.
It doesnt happen often but it happens. There have been some reports of people with seat cowls that have flown off while riding. I'd imagine the seat cowl is mounted on very similarly to a passenger seat so using that locking mechanism would run a similar risk.

I'm not saying it's for sure but I would not be happy to be that 1 in a 1000 that have that happen to my topcase while riding.

Yes, slolane, I know you bolted it. Wise decision otherwise. Althought since you have the sidecases mounted to the same apparatus, I'm sure you'd be more than safe.

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #12
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Quote:
It doesnt happen often but it happens. There have been some reports of people with seat cowls that have flown off while riding. I'd imagine the seat cowl is mounted on very similarly to a passenger seat so using that locking mechanism would run a similar risk.

I'm not saying it's for sure but I would not be happy to be that 1 in a 1000 that have that happen to my topcase while riding.

Yes, slolane, I know you bolted it. Wise decision otherwise. Althought since you have the sidecases mounted to the same apparatus, I'm sure you'd be more than safe.
Agreed. I wouldn't trust it without a bolt - no way, no how.
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #13
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Yes, it's not going anywhere now with the sidecases and additional brackets.

Before the sidecases I did a bolt through the stock undertail, through the bikes under seat storage and into the aftermarket trunk which held really well. I used washers, lock washers and a wing nut on top for easy and fast on/off... took 2 minutes to do and cost $1.

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #14
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
I'd imagine the seat cowl is mounted on very similarly to a passenger seat so using that locking mechanism would run a similar risk.
It's actually slightly different between the two. The stock seat, as most of us know, has a plastic underpan which has a slot in it where the metal portion of the bike's trunk slides into. The other end being the notched locking rod. On a cowl, it still has a notched locking rod, but the other end is only a couple rods that push into a couple of grommets on that same bracket that the stock seat slots onto.

I haven't been around long enough to read of anyone's cowl flying off, but I would suspect it has more to do with their installation or faulty/weak cowl hardware than the mounting points on the bike.

I just installed a Fastpack tail bag on my bike this morning. It looks great and I will have enough room for the normal stuff I carry. I can definitely stuff my DSLR, lenses, and other stuff in there for our group rides. I won't need my backpack for many trips anymore The nice thing is that it's strapped to the rear seat, so I can remove it anytime I want.

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #15
drdoug99
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R Special Edition

Quote:
Here's something that's basically what you are talking about:

FastRack Sportbike Luggage Rack

http://www.thecycleguys.com/
drdoug99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #16
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoug99 View Post
Here's something that's basically what you are talking about:

FastRack Sportbike Luggage Rack

http://www.thecycleguys.com/
Except something preferably less ugly.

Old July 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #17
drdoug99
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R Special Edition

Quote:
Except something preferably less ugly.
Yeah I agree....i got the cycle guys fast pack for a little extra storage, it collapses down and blends in pretty good, but it doesn't look that great when I have something in it.

Almost got this fast rack instead but I didn't like how it would look by itself like that either. There's always a compromise I suppose.
drdoug99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #18
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoug99 View Post
Yeah I agree....i got the cycle guys fast pack for a little extra storage, it collapses down and blends in pretty good, but it doesn't look that great when I have something in it.

Almost got this fast rack instead but I didn't like how it would look by itself like that either. There's always a compromise I suppose.
The thing about the fast rack is that it's basically just a piece of metal strapped to your passenger seat. You could just as well skip that and strap whatever you want to the passenger seat. That's what I still have on my bike in addition to the sidecases now. Works great. I've also realized that if you carry one of those collapsable duffle bags in the trunk, you could open it up and strap it to the passenger seat pretty easily and looks a little better than the fast pack. Fast pack is a neat idea but I think it's look and execution could probably be better and definitely cheaper.

Old July 26th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #19
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 07 XL1200L

Installed it last night.

grandelatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #20
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandelatte View Post
Installed it last night.

Looks great but now that I see closer pic, a seat cowl definetly wouldn't fit. Nice grab bar for a passenger though
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #21
setasai

Quote:
Installed it last night.

Can you take a few more pictures of the mounts at the bottom so I can see how it's mounted on? As many angles as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Old July 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #22
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Can you take a few more pictures of the mounts at the bottom so I can see how it's mounted on? As many angles as possible would be greatly appreciated.
do you mean at the bottom of the rear seat or at the passenger pegs? did you also look at their instruction online?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/filem...download/3184/

Old July 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #23
slolane
Motorcyclist

Looks great Jim!!

Old July 26th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #24
setasai

Quote:
do you mean at the bottom of the rear seat or at the passenger pegs? did you also look at their instruction online?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/filem...download/3184/
Thanks for the link. I did not get a chance to look at it before.

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #25
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

I forgot to tell you one thing. The rack came with a nice 200 page Twisted Throttle catalog. In there, it shows that Alu-rack has adapter plates for many popular Topcases, like Givi and Coocase. This might come handy for some of you who already have top case(s).

Old May 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #26
Bill E Bob
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 '08, '09', '11, ...

I don't see how to add pictures in a reply. I added this rack to my bike last week. It is a great little extension. Now I'll be able to tie my tent and underpad to something when I go camping. I recently put a large cooler on there and a passenger and away we went. So how do I add pictures? I see where it lets me indicate a url but I want to get them off my pc. bill e bob
Bill E Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

How do I load pictures on to this site?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #28
Bill E Bob
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanF View Post
Someone posted a link to this in another thread, and I was curious if anyone has used it. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6805/704/

I've got to say, it looks really nice. Probably the least obtrusive rack I've ever seen, with no trunk on it's barely noticeable and follows the lines nicely.

I've added this rack to my 2011 ninja. I'm still learning how to put up pix so here goes for the third time. I was using Firefox browser, now using IE 8.
I used the paper clip and chose to upload 4 pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6998.jpg (70.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6999.jpg (122.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7000.jpg (132.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7001.jpg (132.5 KB, 35 views)

Old May 13th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #29
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Awesome! Looks like I'll have to add this to the to-do list!

Old May 14th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #30
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Installed the Twisted Throttle trunk mount & bolted a Pelican 1200 case directly to the mount.
Works great!

Last futzed with by exploring/carolina; May 14th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
exploring/carolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #31
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploring/carolina View Post
Installed the Twisted Throttle trunk mount & bolted a Pelican 1200 case directly to the mount.
Works great!

That actually looks really good.

I may have to steal your idea!
TheTopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #32
Bill E Bob
ninjette.org member

Exp/Carolina: That setup looks like it belongs. I'm still, experimenting to find a box that fits the bike. The soft cooler is the most functional so far, but when it's empty, the bungees scrunch it down and it looks uncool. The tent and sleeping bag look much better on there, but I'm not ready to hit the road yet.

Old May 15th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #33
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

The Pelican case is tough & small. It's large enough to keep tools & everything need to repair/inflate a tubeless tire with some other items.

It's also easy using a cargo net to secure rain gear, bed rolls, ect. in front of the box on the rear seat, so you can still get in the box without removing the stuff secured with the cargo net

Thanks Guys!
exploring/carolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #34
sky20nyc
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Allen

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I installed the alu-rack on my ninjette as well as the monokey adapter so I could use a Givi 46L. First day after the install, I went for a ride on the highway, encountered some bumpy roads, and my givi flew towards the center divider (luckily traffic was light and no one was hit).

I contacted twisted throttle, told them what happened, and showed them what was left of the quick release bolts. Only the bottom portion was left, the top appeared to have been cut cleanly off.

With no difficulties or arguments, Twisted Throttle replaces the adapter plate and the GIVI (even though I hadn't purchased the givi from them).
It's been about a month, I've had no problems with my new alu-rack or givi. In fact, I barely use my car as the GIVI provides all the storage I need for day to day living. If only I lived someplace where it didn't snow .
sky20nyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #35
Bill E Bob
ninjette.org member

alumErack

Hi Sky20: Wow that's a scary story. I'm glad it turned out ok. Is the broken Givi usable or fixable?
I really like my rack. Even when I don't have anything tied to it, it makes the bike look bigger. I sometimes strap a cooler on there with bungies, or my backpack.
billEbob

Old September 18th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #36
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Question Alu-rack needs plate for side cases

The Alu-rack is sweet but there needs to be something to mount side cases on the NewGen This needs to be addressed by the aftermarket, smething that would be easily removed would be the ideal but so long as it mounts Givi Case like te 35's so they easily taken on/off would be okay.

Does anyone make such a rack?
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #37
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Their headquarters is about 5 miles from my house. Cool place. Get in touch with them, maybe they will build it if the demand is there.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #38
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Their headquarters is about 5 miles from my house. Cool place. Get in touch with them, maybe they will build it if the demand is there.
You don't happen to have their contact information handy, do you??? Never mind, I found it after a litte bit of extra searching...

When you say near you, your talking about Twisted Thorttle . SW-Motto Tech actually makes them, they're in the UK (I think). Anyway I sent them an email.

Old September 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #39
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy on a '08 View Post
You don't happen to have their contact information handy, do you??? Never mind, I found it after a litte bit of extra searching...

When you say near you, your talking about Twisted Thorttle . SW-Motto Tech actually makes them, they're in the UK (I think). Anyway I sent them an email.
Yeah TT. They do in house design for their products. Met one of the owners or higher ups at a track day. Cool company.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #40
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Got an email back from Twisted Throtle, authorized distributor or Mototech.
There are NO PLANS to produce aside case mount for this rack.

Have any of you looked at the thread over on the Ninjette Wiki Page about Storage/Luggage
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Givi_Rack