ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 18th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #1
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Dog Experts?

We recently got a puppy from the pound, and we have no idea what he is. Obviously, he's a mutt. But what mutt might he be? They told us he's roughly four months old, and he weights about 20-25 pounds here are some picture.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #2
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

aww what a cutey congrats

and About the bread idk really but im sure the vet knows

anyways im sure some 1 will chime in

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

If you really want to know there are DNA tests available that can identify any breeds involved.

I don't know how expensive it is, or how accurate they can be regarding different amounts of each breed. I'm assuming it's a multiplex STR test, the same type as used in forensic labs (think CODIS on CSI, but looking for breed specific markers not markers to any specific individual)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
gonna be tough just by physical characteristics, looks like his parents were probably mutts or at least one of them.
Face shape eyes, ears resembles a Lab, size would match as well. Labs are very popular breed and would make sense in that respect to that they would breed and pups would end up in shelter. Check out between his toes for slight webbing that trait could have been passed along and help determine if there is some lab in there. Tail looks similar to a lab as well.

The color pattern (location of color) resembles some pittbulls coloration and the size and shape of the pup also would fit some characteristics from a pittbull.

So I definitely think pittbull, lab is a good start, as both of those have some similar shapes (ears, tail, face) that would mesh well together to make it hard to pick any one particular trait out. Hence no obvious breed traits stand out right away.

But there has to be something else in there, so my theory is that, one of the parents was either a lab, a pittbull, or a lab pittbull mix, and the other parent.... no clue i don't even feel comfortable throwing out another breed as i have nothing to base it on.

Hope that helps, if it is lab pitt mix, it should be a great dog!
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

He's a SOONER

I'd almost bet that he's a sooner...

He'd SOONER eat, sleep and play than do anything else

He's a great looking dog and he's gonna be big but not huge. Have you given him a name yet?

I'd agree with SUBXERO's breed accessment but don't be surprised if he turns out differnt. I volunteer at a shelter and we are very careful about telling adoptive parents what breed they might be.

As to the DNA stuff... I've heard of results that were very accurate and also that were way off base....
http://www.dog-dna.com/questions.php

I recommend Costco for dog food, both their dry and canned food is highly rated and you can't beat their price for a high quality food. Stay away from anything that has corn in it. Leads to hip problems and Labs are expecially suceptable to that. Google dog food ratings

Trader Joe's has awesome treats... Chicken Jerky sticks and Beef Jerky Strips...

I use Doctors Foster and Smith for meds... heartworm and flea and tick. Your Vet will sell you the same stuff for like twice as much. There are other online sites for dog meds but I trust them.

Give him plenty of LOVE, DISCIPLINE AND EXCERCISE and you'll have a loyal and faithful companion for years to come!!!!

Hope I haven't over stepped my bounds with all the advice.

Good Luck with him....
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #6
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Yeah I guess I forgot to tell you his name! The little guy goes by Tucker! As for the breed, the pound told us Akita mix lol...

In the week we've had him, hes been awesome. He's still a puppy, but we've got him potty trained completely (knock on wood). We have bells on the door for him to find when he needs to go out and he uses them everytime. He also knows his name, how to sit and stay, and he knows what "no" means. He's also picked up that when I snap my fingers, to stop what he's doing.

So far, he's been the best we could ask for. I'm sure he'll get big, but I don't care. My wife has always been a little anxious so a big dog will do wonders for her.

As for the food, we got him Purina select or something like that. It has no corn, is is something like 26-28% protein. Once he goes through most of that, we may make the switch to Blue. Is the Costco stuff a house brand? What's the price?

Now that I look at the pictures, I see we're you get pitbull. But in person, his head really isn't shaped like a pitbull IMO. And his hair is far from being a pit. We looked up and Australian Shepard and their coats seem to have a very solar pattern. But who knows!

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ Akita!, i could definitely see some Akita in there, and now that you mention it i would definitely throw that in the mix and helps explain where he got the color mix from, the black and that agouti brown. That was what i couldn't figure out was where the hell those colors came from.

Definitely some lab in there 100% confident in that, and Akita makes a lot of sense with color and pattern

enjoy

Old September 19th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
As for the food, we got him Purina select or something like that. It has no corn, is is something like 26-28% protein. Once he goes through most of that, we may make the switch to Blue. Is the Costco stuff a house brand? What's the price?
Kirkland is the House Brand for Costco...
It rates really high for quality and you won't find anything good that beats the price.
Kirkland Signature Dog Food
Chicken and Rice 40 lbs Item # 25347 $32.31
Lamb & Rice 40 lbs Item # 25350 $33.51

Dog Food Advisor is probably the best unbiased website out there on the subject;
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
Here's a link to the best dog foods...
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-d...dry-dog-foods/
you won't find any of the Purina stuff listed. Kirkland also sells a Signature Series called Natures Domain; salmon or turkey with sweet potato. it cost a couple dollars more for a 35 pound bag (if memory serves). I've used both and my vet says that there is nothing better at this price.
And they also have a canned food that's quality and well priced

A lot of folks swear by the trader joe's treats (there canned food is good too)
I buy the chicken jerky sticks and the beef jerky strips as well as the all natural dog treat (biskits)

Good luck

I've got Bailey Bell Trained also. The Come command is the one we have a problem with.

Good luck with Tucker... give him a belly rub for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bailey 003.jpg (39.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rebel 250 033.jpg (62.8 KB, 0 views)

Old September 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #9
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy on a '08 View Post
Kirkland is the House Brand for Costco...
It rates really high for quality and you won't find anything good that beats the price.
Kirkland Signature Dog Food
Chicken and Rice 40 lbs Item # 25347 $32.31
Lamb & Rice 40 lbs Item # 25350 $33.51

Dog Food Advisor is probably the best unbiased website out there on the subject;
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
Here's a link to the best dog foods...
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-d...dry-dog-foods/
you won't find any of the Purina stuff listed. Kirkland also sells a Signature Series called Natures Domain; salmon or turkey with sweet potato. it cost a couple dollars more for a 35 pound bag (if memory serves). I've used both and my vet says that there is nothing better at this price.
And they also have a canned food that's quality and well priced

A lot of folks swear by the trader joe's treats (there canned food is good too)
I buy the chicken jerky sticks and the beef jerky strips as well as the all natural dog treat (biskits)

Good luck

I've got Bailey Bell Trained also. The Come command is the one we have a problem with.

Good luck with Tucker... give him a belly rub for me!
Wow thats not bad at all. I just need to find a Costco! Too bad the closest Trader Joe's I know of is in Cincy

And my dog needs some work on the "come" command. I used food for the sit command, and now anytime I've got a treat, he plops his but on the floor!

Old September 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #10
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

great lookin dog. you'll never know what the dog is. I had one of those DNA tests done on my dog, and it came back with a crazy number of breeds, none of them seemed right. Just be proud to own a mutt.

i personally stay away from all cheap food. fillers/byproducts/grains, etc. don't contribute to a dog's health. i spend maybe 80 bucks every 2 months on dog food. Taste of the Wild for the rest of my dog's life.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
great lookin dog. you'll never know what the dog is. I had one of those DNA tests done on my dog, and it came back with a crazy number of breeds, none of them seemed right. Just be proud to own a mutt.

i personally stay away from all cheap food. fillers/byproducts/grains, etc. don't contribute to a dog's health. i spend maybe 80 bucks every 2 months on dog food. Taste of the Wild for the rest of my dog's life.
Yeah in all honesty, the only reason I care what the breed Tucker is is because I want to know how big he will be. My family has always had mutts, and we loved em all!

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ i would definitely think lab size

Old September 19th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
^ i would definitely think lab size
Let's start a pool. $1 each, winner take all. Weigh in date is June 1 2013....
I say 53lbs

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #14
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy on a '08 View Post
Let's start a pool. $1 each, winner take all. Weigh in date is June 1 2013....
I say 53lbs
That is a good guess, i would say 61lbs