ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Milanista
ninjette.org member

Name: Ali

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Had a problem while I was riding on the freeway

Hello fellow ninjette, so yesterday was my first time on the freeway after one week of riding in city streets!! I was excited at first and it show that I stiil need to gain experience. I used it to go to school and on the way there everything went smooth but coming back I had a problem the bike slowed down by its self while i was going about 70 mi and I couldn't get back to the trafic speed so I had to use the shoulder of the road then stopped. Then I switch of the engine and switch on back again and everything was fine!! what might caused the problem? cuz I certainly do not want it to happen again.
Milanista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM   #2
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Sounds like a fuel issue. Any chance you ran out of gas?

It's strange that cutting the ignition and restarting solved it; normally fuel system woes are gradual like that ("slowed down by itself") and engine/electric problems are binary ("on" then suddenly "off").

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I had a High Speed Shutdown happen to me @ about 75 mph. Mine was a fuel vent issue, but it could also be electrical. To rule out any electrical problems check the terminals on your battery for tightness.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to new-gen tech

Sounds like fuel starvation to me as well, perhaps that clogged vent hose. If you popped the fuel cap and it started immediately, it would be a strong indicator.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Milanista
ninjette.org member

so should I take the bike out again and see if it happens once more?! what can I do to make sure that it doesn't happen?

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:48 AM   #6
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

You have a California bike so it has a sealed fuel tank that vents through a charcoal canister. If one of the rubber hoses in that system becomes blocked or pinched it's probable that vacuum would develop in the tank as fuel was used by the carburetors. A quick test for that is to unlock the gas cap but leave it partly closed and go for a ride, if the problem doesn't happen but still happens with the cap fully seated then the problem's in the tank venting system.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:49 AM   #7
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

sounds like a fuel starvation issue. I would check the fuel lines and make sure the fuel filter is clean. Now would be a great time to upgrade to a larger clear fuel filter as well.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Milanista
ninjette.org member

thank you all for the info and your Input and I am glad that this does not sound as a problem I can solve cuz of your guys help!!

Should be out on the streets it is such a lovely weather!!!!!

Old March 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

A lot of us have this problem when we warm up the bike fully and then let it cool for a little while before running hard again. For example, I'll ride to a store an hour away, spend 10-15 minutes inside, and then hop back on the bike and go. Within a few blocks, it will suddenly lose power and slowly die, usually at a stop sign or red light. I'm pretty sure it's a venting issue because opening the gas cap fixes it and I can start back up.

Last futzed with by CZroe; March 5th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
gas tank vacuum. check evap/vents. also make sure the petcock is turned on all the way. if its only halfway on, you can still get fuel into the carbs, but running higher rpm long enough will drain the bowls and eventually kill it until you slow down or or turn it off and the bowls fill up again.