ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

View Poll Results: Do you wear earplugs when you ride?
On every ride 89 32.84%
On most rides 57 21.03%
Only on long trips 43 15.87%
Never 65 23.99%
What? 17 6.27%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 10th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #201
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I didn't start using them until a few days ago and I have to admit, I recommended not using them in another thread, I was wrong. I feel like I can hear the engine scream more and less wind noise. My helmet seems to have gotten much louder than last summer and the earplugs definitely help.

Old April 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #202
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

I've since upgraded to ear bud headphones and some good tunes :P
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #203
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

I'm glad I came across this thread. I've had my Ninja a few weeks and been riding the past week but haven't gotten above 60mph. I'd known of riders wearing ear plugs or ear buds w/their iPod or whatever, and just thought "no way I'm wearing ear plugs." I won't be able to hear surrounding traffic, sirens, etc. Looks like I was mistaken after reading through the experiences shared in this thread. Not sure if I'll ever use ear buds w/music simply b/c that still seems a bit dangerous since you're pumping in music which, logically speaking, would seem to purposely cancel out the noise you WANT to hear - sirens, horns, etc. - but I'm definitely going to be stopping by a hardware store today to pick up some ear plugs.

[EDIT]Just got back from Walmart, picked up a 4-pair pack of the Hearos plugs after seeing a few of you folks liked them. Only $1.76 for the pack. Squeezed them through the packaging and they felt nice and soft. If the weather cooperates I'll have to take them out for a test drive. Wonder if my wife will buy that excuse? [/EDIT]

Last futzed with by reaubideux; April 11th, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #204
ericeng91
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): Soon to be Ninja 250r

I'm not too sure if this has been mentioned or not. But what about sound damping materials rather than ear plugs? Wouldn't that reduce the high frequency material but still let you hear what is around you?

Some sort of high density foam or even stuff like
http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAg#ps-sellers

or

http://www.acousticpc.com/acousti_pr..._material.html

Just cut out a section and place it in the ear area. Behind the padding and all so it doesn't fall and its not in the way.
ericeng91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #205
kkim

might work, might not, but what's the problem with just using ear plugs?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #206
ericeng91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
might work, might not, but what's the problem with just using ear plugs?
Ear plugs and ear buds are uncomfortable for me for long periods of time. My ears start itching for no real reason.

And I figure you can get double protection? or sound protection and listen to buds too.

Old April 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #207
kkim

I would think something in the ear cutout area would be sort of confining for people's ears. I know my helmets have very little extra room in that area after my ears are in there.

if you've tried earplugs and need another solution, go for it and see how it works for you. I would guess, anything would be better than nothing, but perhaps you just might need to try another brand/size/materiel of earplugs? The good thing about these are there are a wide variety available and can attenuate to different levels based on what one is comfortable with, while still cutting the undesirable high freq wind noise.

Old April 11th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #208
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeng91 View Post
Ear plugs and ear buds are uncomfortable for me for long periods of time. My ears start itching for no real reason.

And I figure you can get double protection? or sound protection and listen to buds too.
It's possible the itching is an allergic reaction to the foam or rubber that's used in most earplugs. If true, foam in the helmet would be even worse. Try a pair of ER-20's by etymotics. They make it out of silicone and are reusable.

The idea of earplugs is to simulate the noise reduction qualities of 360degrees of metal/glass/plastic in a cager so foam in the helmet while could help, would make it a nightmare to get on without crushing your ears.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #209
ericeng91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
It's possible the itching is an allergic reaction to the foam or rubber that's used in most earplugs. If true, foam in the helmet would be even worse. Try a pair of ER-20's by etymotics. They make it out of silicone and are reusable.

The idea of earplugs is to simulate the noise reduction qualities of 360degrees of metal/glass/plastic in a cager so foam in the helmet while could help, would make it a nightmare to get on without crushing your ears.
it's not an allergic reaction, but it's good to know there are silicone plugs out there.

The reason I thought about this was because there was a sound dampening panel on display somewhere (i forget where) and I put my ear about 3 inches away, and it was a HUGE difference in what I could hear. In a helmet, I would assume the space is around 1/4 inch, maybe 1/2 inch and something like that could dampen A LOT of sound coming in while not covering everything. Idk, my new helmet is coming in the mail now so when i get it, I'll take a look at how the padding is, if there is some spare room, I'll pick up some computer sound dampening pads, cut them to size and give it a try.

Old April 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #210
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

I noticed on a cross country trip that ear plugs helped HUGELY in reducing fatigue over many hours of riding. I also find that they have the same result racing bikes and karts.
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #211
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
I noticed on a cross country trip that ear plugs helped HUGELY in reducing fatigue over many hours of riding. I also find that they have the same result racing bikes and karts.
Thats the first thing I noticed when I started riding with them. I can still hear everything just fine, and I dont get tired. a Definitely good investment
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #212
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Fyi

In Washington State, it is illegal to have ear buds in both ears while operating ANY motor vehicle. Doesn't stop a lot of people, but thought I'd put it out there. Check your local state (or province, or whatever ) laws.

Still loving my ear plugs. Best thing I did to increase the enjoyment of long rides on the bike!
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #213
Sushilover
Forever Newbie

Name: Andre

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250

Thank you everyone for this thread, i went out for a ride with earplugs for the first time ever and it made a world of difference. I was more relaxed, the ride was less tiring, and hearing the engine was surprisingly easier. I will be wearing earplugs for the rest of my riding days!
Sushilover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #214
caferacer
Caferacer

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I have worn ear plugs for years..i think that i read about it in a magazine. The reduction in fatigue is huge. I would not consider riding without them. I have actually stopped right after i started out, just to put in plugs when i forgot. My pipe is kinda loud but the wind noise is the problem. I can hear better with them in...they take out all of the white noise. I even use them when i ride on my road bicycle.
caferacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #215
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
My pipe is kinda loud but the wind noise is the problem. I can hear better with them in...they take out all of the white noise. I even use them when i ride on my road bicycle.
That's the main reason I wear ear plugs. Damn wind is so noisy at speed.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #216
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Surefire makes an earplug set that works great and is comfortable at the same time:

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #217
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
Surefire makes an earplug set that works great and is comfortable at the same time:

Wow, I love the way those things look. How do you determine which size you are? They have small/med/large but I'm not sure which ones to get. Anyway to try them on somewhere?

Old April 15th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #218
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Wow, I love the way those things look. How do you determine which size you are? They have small/med/large but I'm not sure which ones to get. Anyway to try them on somewhere?
Looks like there is a sizing chart on that website too...

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/con...zing-FINAL.jpg
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #219
20ninja03
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

I would never use them no matter the wind noise.
20ninja03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #220
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20ninja03 View Post
I would never use them no matter the wind noise.
never use what... earplugs? if so, please explain why not?

Old May 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM   #221
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:

I was just about to throw these out there. I haven't used them, but a co-worker has them for the range and loves them.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #222
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

Just got a few different plugs i ordered from http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/
They have some really nice and cheap earplugs for different use! I fell in love with QuietEar http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/quietnrr14.html They feel really good, are cheap and they don't reduce too much of the sound, which i feel most earplugs do. Highly recommended!
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #223
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I need to get myself some earplugs now since I switched from my stock exhaust to something else which is louder. Also the wind noise is very bothersome now that I notice it.

Old May 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #224
glock_19
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Green SE

El cheapo Skullcandy buds:

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/ink-d...ack-black.html
glock_19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #225
JulietP
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Juliet

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I always wear hearing protection unless I make a quick stop close to home and have just a short jaunt home at city speeds. I wear Big Ear brand plugs that are formed to my ears and they are extremely comfortable. Even with my full-face HJC, the wind noise, particuarly above 50 mph, is bad. I commute at highway and interstate speeds, so I don't leave home without them.

My boyfriend and I made the mistake of riding 3 hours on the highway without earplugs (we had a communication system and thought we wouldn't be able to hear with plugs in) and had ringing in our ears for a good part of the day after we got to our destination.
JulietP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #226
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I have from no earplugs to jvc marshmallow ear buds and good tunes. What a big difference in noise suppression! I also ordered an aero skirt for my scorpion helmet to reduce. The wind noise. Majority of my riding is on the highway commuting to and from work so wind noise is a big issue with me aside from the sound of my full race exhaust.

Old June 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #227
Lockshi3
ninjette.org member

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawi Green Ninja 250

Yep I wear them. They are made by etymotic research. They cut out most of the wind. I'd say earbuds/ear plugs are a must especially for a lot of highway
Lockshi3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM   #228
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

hmm..interesting thread..they talked about it in MSF, but i just thought..blah, blah, blah...i dont get much wind noise while on my moped in town......BUT, when i do get a bike, i'll see how i is riding around town with no plugs then decide about town riding and plugs...but i def. will have some in on the freeway or long hwy rides.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM   #229
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
Loud noise is an environmental stress. Your body responds in different ways to cope with this stress such as increasing your adrenaline and cortisol levels, heart rate and blood pressure. It's the way our ancestors were programmed when they had to avoid being prey to bigger animals. That's why whenever you hear a loud noise or bang, you feel your heart jump and the hair stand on your back or why babies cry to alert their parents of danger. Reactionary response to make you more alert but your body is only built to handle this in short spurts. As your body is working harder in this state, it is using more energy and after some time, you will get that lethargic feeling. Of course, everyone's bodies are not the same.

Consider this an added benefit of ear plugs; aside from helping to prevent long term hearing loss they help to reduce the chance of fatigue and allow you to stay more alert on that bike.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM   #230
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

I used earplugs for a while after reading a very good article in a motorcycle mag about hearing loss. If I know Im going to be traveling at Highway speeds for a long period, I'll wear them if I have them. Feels weird at first, but you get used to hearing yourself breath. Makes a big difference. No muffled hearing after a long fast ride.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:35 AM   #231
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

I tried them for the first time on Sunday and WOW. It made a huge difference and it was more enjoyable.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM   #232
Enfemus
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Blue

Ear plugs are FTW. Notice a huge difference when I do use them and when I don't.
Enfemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM   #233
setasai

Yay another convert. We all have kkim to thank for starting this thread. Ear protection is such an overlooked piece of gear. I've been trying to get my friend to wear one but he insists that it's ok. Sigh.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM   #234
kkim

Quote:
I've been trying to get my friend to wear one but he insists that it's ok. Sigh.
try talking with him when he's my age... he won't be able to hear you by then, if he continues riding w/o using earplugs.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM   #235
Buffalony

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

I have an HJC CL-15 helmet. They're commonly loud so I wear plugs 90% of my riding. I also cut my plugs in half. Not cause I'm a cheapo but because it helps prevent them from getting pulled out when putting my helmet on and off. A package lasting twice as long is a bonus
No problems hearing. I usually catch myself yelling at people though.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:53 PM   #236
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
try talking with him when he's my age... he won't be able to hear you by then, if he continues riding w/o using earplugs.
Yea. I've gotten him to wear them during longer highway rides but not during the slower twisties. I feel like a nagging parent sometimes because I have to tell him to wear his chaps even when it's hot out. He rides a suzuki intruder so he's more into the stereotypical cruiser look. Still though, one step at a time... I'll convert him soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
I have an HJC CL-15 helmet. They're commonly loud so I wear plugs 90% of my riding. I also cut my plugs in half. Not cause I'm a cheapo but because it helps prevent them from getting pulled out when putting my helmet on and off. A package lasting twice as long is a bonus
No problems hearing. I usually catch myself yelling at people though.
In half? You must have short ear canals or arent putting them in all the way. The disposable earplugs I wear go pretty much all the way in and only a small amount of it sticks out. Just enough to pull them out. If it were half the length, I think i'd lose them in my ear.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM   #237
Buffalony

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
In half? You must have short ear canals or arent putting them in all the way. The disposable earplugs I wear go pretty much all the way in and only a small amount of it sticks out. Just enough to pull them out. If it were half the length, I think i'd lose them in my ear.
I do. When cut in half they are just below flush with my canal. Anything to stop the turbulance is good. Even some TP will work I guess.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:15 PM   #238
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

I didnt think about cutting them in half. Good idea bro.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #239
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:

The extended portion that goes into the ear canal is kind of off-putting.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #240
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

Just rode for the first time with ear plugs and it was sublime. A whole lot nicer. I just use some rubber ones that I use when I am playing guitar real loud.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote