ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 5th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Installing a hitch

Ok so I am planning on installing a trailer hitch to my wifes 2010 Chevy Equinox, the ones sold are no drilling so should be pretty easy to install, they run under $200 for the hitch, the wiring is $50 plug and play then gotta buy the ball. So here is my question should I get the Class III or Class II seems to me the only difference on the specs is thaat the III comes with a 2" reciever and the the II comes with a 1 1/4" reciever.

I am a complete novice to the whole towing thing, not driving them but installing and purchasing them. I plan on using it for a bike rack and a small trailer for the bike and I always need something at the home depot so it would be nice to have it for that. Please help me decide.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If the truck can take a class III, I'd install that. In terms of the draw bar that you install into the hitch later, no matter what you want to tow you can get the appropriate draw bar to fit either the 1 1/4" or the 2".

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #3
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

What size engine does she have? Looks like your towing capacity ranges from 1500 lbs to 3500 lbs depending on the model. the LS FWD V6 model will need a class I and only has the towing capacity of 1500 lbs while all other models can handle a class II and can tow a max of 3500 lbs.

Old September 5th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
What size engine does she have? Looks like your towing capacity ranges from 1500 lbs to 3500 lbs depending on the model. the LS FWD V6 model will need a class I and only has the towing capacity of 1500 lbs while all other models can handle a class II and can tow a max of 3500 lbs.
It has a 4 cyl 180 hp. its a LT model, there are Class III and II available, the Class IIs are a good bit cheaper. Is there an advantage of getting the class III vs the II.

Theres a Curt brand(never heard of) Class III for $145 and a Draw Tite Class II for $128, which is better brand.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Having only a 4 cyl. engine it is probably a better idea to go with the class II hitch so you do not overload the vehicle.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

Name: Myke

Motorcycle(s): 2009 2fiddy SE

I work for a trailer company in portland oregon, I would say install the class III hitch onto the vehicle. It gives you the ability to use any ball and stinger combination out there. As for not overloading your car, that is your responsibility to know your limits just like a bike.

As for your brands question, I personally buy Draw-Tite and the Reese brand. I have never had a Draw-tite hitch or a reese hitch come back as long as i have been selling them. Brands to stay away from would be valley, its a cheap brand welds are weak.
Minnesotah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #7
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

You can ask the manufacturer or look in the specs for the towing weight limit and hitch weight limit for your car, but the class II hitch is probably the one rated for your car, the class III may be too heavy. Besides engine size and power, you have to consider size of springs and shocks of the vehicle to avoid handling and suspension problems. Either size receiver is OK, you just have to get the proper size draw bar, obviously. One advantage of the 2" receiver is that you can get a sleeve to fit over an 1 1/4" accessory bar, like for a bike carrier if that 's the only size it comes in, (most of the Thule bike racks are a 1 1/4" bar but come with the sleeve so they can fit either size hitch) but it's less advantageous to go the other way, ie., to get a 1 1/4" bar with a 2" receiver outer end to adapt to a 2" draw bar accessory, (Harbor Freight, $11-12) as it puts the weight of the load another foot out from the back of the car (not good because of the extra leverage and effective weight on the hitch).
I think you should get the class II 2" receiver hitch for the loads you want to pull, unless the vehicle is rated to accept the class III (so you may be able to pull something heavier in the future).
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have a Pontiac Vibe--same same as Toyota Matrix with a class III hitch. We bought a 4x8 Landscape trailer from Home Depot, put down a floor of 3/4 plywood and used 2x4's to form a track down the centre for the bike. The bike is stabilized with webbing and travels well. There is no need to get fancy.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote