ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Motorcycle-related

Notices

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Search for used parts/salvage bikes: ATL motorcycle junkyard, scrap, or salvage yard?

I've been asking all the motorcycle shops in town where I can find a junkyard to browse for motorcycle parts and the only answer I can get is one I already knew about from Google, which is four hours away in Tifton, GA. Somehow, I doubt the various insurance companies totaling a bike in the Atlanta metro area are all sending them so far away, especially for our cheap Ninja 250 bikes. It makes more sense to sell it for scrap metal than to haul it off so far.

I've been chasing down phantom leads for the last two days and finding disconnected numbers and invalid email addresses every step of the way. If anyone knows of anything in the West GA or Metro Atlanta area, I'm all ears.

Where else am I going to find a complete front-end from a newgen Ninja 250 to use on a pregen (forks, fender, wheel, brake, triple, etc)? Anyone selling that on eBay would likely break it up.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

http://www.mrcycleparts.com/

Old March 7th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #3
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I would keep an eye out for someone who's done a GSXR Fork swap. That or Insurance auctions. It's too my understanding it's easier and makes more money for 'Totaled' bikes to be auctioned off than to sell to a junkyard. From there, parted out by whomever bought it.

http://www.salvageworld.net/search.p...year=&x=55&y=8
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Wow. Thanks. Are there any other sites like that? I see one EX250-J in GA but no EX250-F. The one in GA says the damage is "vandalism" but I see a bent handlebar on the left side and a loose mirror on the other. I'm not sure how a vandal might do that to the handlebar without kicking it over but the rest of the stuff on that side looks fine. Sledge hammer? It is bent in the direction as if someone was trying to defeat the steering lock.

That said, "vandalism" scares me because the easy damage isn't obvious (cut seat, keyed paint). It makes me worry about what's in the engine.

I'm mostly interested in the wheel, forks, triple, etc, but it doesn't help that the front fender doesn't appear aligned perfectly with the tire tread. My instinct is to keep looking.

Old March 16th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #5
kavo
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitch

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250 Racer

If someone gets a salvage bike you sell and ship a set of straight forks to Aus?

kavo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavo View Post
If someone gets a salvage bike you sell and ship a set of straight forks to Aus?
Hard to get there too, huh? I'd put any spare parts up for sale to any buyer as long as they covered actual expenses.

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #7
kavo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Hard to get there too, huh? I'd put any spare parts up for sale to any buyer as long as they covered actual expenses.
Not too hard, depends on price though. There was a set for $200+ $20 AUS shipping and somehow eBay sold it 4 times, unfortunately i wasn't the first buyer.

Other wreckers are asking $650AU!

There was a set in US just finished on eBay for $150 but he wouldn't post to Australia even though there are heaps of others. I would have got them even if postage was $100US

Old March 16th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #8
kavo
ninjette.org member

Also for the other peeps, A salvage bike is a good way to get a cheap racer!

Old March 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #9
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Oh, if you haven't already.. Check this out when scrounging around Craigslist.

http://crazedlist.org/

Needs Firefox, but it works quite well.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Oh, if you haven't already.. Check this out when scrounging around Craigslist.

http://crazedlist.org/

Needs Firefox, but it works quite well.
Awesome! Thanks.