ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 13th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Sweaty Hands...

So... I've suffered from like, REALLY sweaty hands all my life, hasn't bothered me too much until I started tearing right through my gloves left and right. I completely destroyed a $250 pair of Knox Handroids in 4 months thanks to my sweaty hands. I did my best to frequently condition the leather with Lexol but it's always just a losing battle.

I've done research into different types of gloves, ones more resistant to sweat while still providing an insane amount of protection and came up empty handed (slight pun intended )

Now I'm looking into maybe ways to prevent the sweat and avoid the problem entirely. I'm not particularly a fan of the idea of a liner... I like my gloves to fit TIGHT, same with all my gear, no room for any liners for sure. Any other ideas? Maybe some special remedy for washing the sweat out of my gloves? Maybe a topical treatment for my hands such as Drysol (which I'm seriously considering).

I know I can't be the only person who suffers from excessively sweaty hands, so what do you all do to protect your gloves?

@Alex, debated on whether or not this should be off topic or gear related, move this as you deem fit

Old June 13th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think gear-related would be fine.

I'd find a brand that uses top quality leather, and alot of it. My preferred is Helimot, but I'm sure there are others as well. Yes - with the good stuff, you can get it completely wet to remove the sweat from time to time. Every couple days of riding, just fill up the sink with water, and completely soak the gloves with your hands in them. Let them dry, re-apply some leather conditioner, and you'll probably get much better life than you're experiencing with your current gloves.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Every couple days of riding, just fill up the sink with water, and completely soak the gloves with your hands in them. Let them dry, re-apply some leather conditioner, and you'll probably get much better life than you're experiencing with your current gloves.
This is actually one of the things that I did, I would take the gloves and shower with them from time to time, hang them outside over night to dry and apply Lexol in the morning. Biggest concern with this was the drying period, I always feared for the speed either being too fast or too slow resulting in the leather being excessively dry or becoming susceptible to rotting. I can't really find enough information on the web that makes me feel more... At ease... with this method.

Had a coworker tell me that a water/vinegar mixture actually works better than water alone for removing the salts, ever heard any claims about that before?

Probably going to switch to a pair of Alpinestars GP Pro's until I get the sweating issue settled, but I'd love to eventually go back to the Knox Handroids

Held Titans are advertised as "sweat resistant" anyone have experience with these that has sweaty hands? Super expensive, but from what I gather, insanely protective

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think showering wouldn't be enough to get the inside of the gloves free of the salt in the sweat. They are being worn from the inside out, not the outside in. They really need to be soaked completely, and then dried. Haven't heard of the water/vinegar mixture.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
surgically laser remove the sweat glands in your hands.

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattcatt View Post
This is actually one of the things that I did, I would take the gloves and shower with them from time to time, hang them outside over night to dry and apply Lexol in the morning. Biggest concern with this was the drying period, I always feared for the speed either being too fast or too slow resulting in the leather being excessively dry or becoming susceptible to rotting. I can't really find enough information on the web that makes me feel more... At ease... with this method.

Had a coworker tell me that a water/vinegar mixture actually works better than water alone for removing the salts, ever heard any claims about that before?

Probably going to switch to a pair of Alpinestars GP Pro's until I get the sweating issue settled, but I'd love to eventually go back to the Knox Handroids

Held Titans are advertised as "sweat resistant" anyone have experience with these that has sweaty hands? Super expensive, but from what I gather, insanely protective
My knox gloves have been holding up pretty good and my fingers sweet alot.

Knox recommends not fully soaking the gloves. Just using a damp towel and some Dove bar soap. Latter the towel. Wash the glove, then get a clean non soapy cloth and get it damp and get rid of the soap. Let almost dry and use lexol or whatever brand u prefer.

Best way i have done and conditioned my gloves was their suggestion.

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I think showering wouldn't be enough to get the inside of the gloves free of the salt in the sweat. They are being worn from the inside out, not the outside in. They really need to be soaked completely, and then dried. Haven't heard of the water/vinegar mixture.
I made sure to get all the water inside, I took the gloves off lol, not rub-a-dub-dubbing with my gloves on the WHOLE time But yes, I did take them off and completely saturate the insides and dump them out several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
surgically laser remove the sweat glands in your hands.
Believe me... If cost and side effects weren't factors, I'd definitely consider doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
My knox gloves have been holding up pretty good and my fingers sweet alot.

Knox recommends not fully soaking the gloves. Just using a damp towel and some Dove bar soap. Latter the towel. Wash the glove, then get a clean non soapy cloth and get it damp and get rid of the soap. Let almost dry and use lexol or whatever brand u prefer.

Best way i have done and conditioned my gloves was their suggestion.
How did you obtain that info? I tried contacting them several times and never received any response. Good to know though! I'm sure that technique will apply to pretty much any glove out there.

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattcatt View Post

How did you obtain that info? I tried contacting them several times and never received any response. Good to know though! I'm sure that technique will apply to pretty much any glove out there.
I just emailed them directly bc i was concerned for my handroids bc they were getting hard and stained by my sweat. And they contacted me same day with that. They suggest that tech for all their gloves. They said fully soaking the glove can ruin it.