ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 15th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #1
OfficerLove
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 93 250

Question Signal indicator and tail light problems!

I bought a 250a recently and a few days ago all the lights on the tail started cutting off occasionally. Sometimes it seems like the rear break lever initiates it but sometimes it happens on it's own. There are LED front indicators on it that someone who owned it previously had installed, and they worked fine until the other day when the right started working only about half the times I tried to use it. At first when this happened it would make the dash and headlight dim in time with how the indicator would have been flashing but now nothing happens at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last futzed with by OfficerLove; December 15th, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
OfficerLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to pre-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #3
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I'm in the middle of packing and moving tomorrow from the west end to Mechanicsville and starting my new job in 6 hours, so I'm too busy to really be online right now, but if you haven't got it fixed by next week I can come over and if you a hand if you'd like. I do a lot of wiring and LED stuff, so I' sure I'll be able to help you.

Old December 16th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Sounds like a connector in the wiring harness leading to the rear end is maybe coming loose. Try taking the seats off and checking around to see if anything is amiss, that's where most of them are.

Edit: If you look at the wiring diagram here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35886 in the lower right just above the battery there's a connector that grounds the lights in the tail. I'm willing to bet it's loose, or it's connection to the battery is loose/corroded.

Double Edit: Haha whoops, it's late. I looked up the wrong wiring diagram but the wiring is the same. Here's the one for your bike: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35999

Old December 16th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #5
OfficerLove
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 93 250

Awesome thanks dudes! I'll get going on it today and see what I can do
OfficerLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerLove View Post
There are LED front indicators on it, and they worked fine until the other day when the right started working only about half the times I tried to use it. At first when this happened it would make the dash and headlight dim in time with how the indicator would have been flashing
This indicates a severe drain of current, usually on the order of several amps if it happens while the bike is running. If it only happens with the bike parked or idling, it might not be as much, but either way, something is not wired correctly, and there's something that has started shorting out--though it would be a kinda crappy connection on the short, or else it would just blow a fuse and then nothing would happen.
Quote:
but now nothing happens at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ah...okay, well that probably means that you blew a fuse. Check the fuse box under the seat, behind the side panel, and see if the turn signal fuse is blown. If it is, then it is because something is shorting out in your turn signal wiring.