ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 30th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #1
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Name: D.

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 ABS

What would you do at a stop light?

I have been thinking about this for a little while now and I can't decide what I would do in the following situation. So, I hope someone has words of wisdom to share!

You come to a stop light. No cars are there so you pull up and stop. Obviously, you're now first in line. A few cars pull up on either side of you at the light.

Cross traffic begins to move as their light turned green.

You check your mirrors and notice there's a car coming up behind you and it appears they will not be stopping for the light.

What do you do? You can't pull forward as you will enter the cross traffic. Do you ditch the bike and run to the side? Seriously, I can't picture what the right thing to do is and I'm a visual person. I feel like sharply turning your bike and attempting to move to the side will make me drop my bike anyway (which is why I asked about ditching it above). Am I wrong though?

D.
DSomething is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
For me a few more details are needed.

You say cars "pull up on either side of you", so three or more lanes? A road that big I have found has a cross walk and some distance between the edge of the cross walk and the flowing traffic.

Where are you in the lane? Dead center, left or right wheel track, or on the far outside edge of the lane?

Are you in neutral and waiting just sitting up? Is you hand or foot on the brake? Are you in gear holding the clutch?

The way I park when first in line is in the left wheel track with my left foot down and right on the brake, hand on the brake and clutch, remaining in first gear.

So my thought (if reaction was ideal) would be pull forward into the crosswalk in front of the car to the left of me. Less than ideal would be forward to be up against the front bumper of the car to the left opening up enough space that hopefully the car cuts through right behind me.

Interesting question and really curious what others will say.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
People probably won't agree but my opinion is you are just probably straight screwed.

Riders will tell you all day long, make sure at stops you keep your bike in gear and watch your mirrors be ready to evade yadda yadda yadda. It all sounds great but personally i think it is a little unrealistic.

You can't simply watch your mirrors all the time to see what is approaching from behind, there is danger in every direction so you need to be aware 360 degrees. That being said lets say by chance you actually catch a glimpse of a vehicle approaching fast from the rear in your mirror..... at what point do you actually recognize they are not paying attention or will not be able to stop? I can say i have been rear ended in a car at least 4 times, not once did i see it unfold in the easily visible rear view mirror let alone have the ability to think about doing something about it and even further physically doing something about it that would not put me in other danger.

You can play what if with these scenarios all day long, it is a basket of variables you have little control over. One important thing you do have control over is where you place yourself and your bike on the road. This IMO is the most important thing about stops. Put you and your bike in the least dangerous, most protected spot you can find that gives you at least a shot in the dark.

Again this is JMO, i feel i have very quck reactions and am typically good at making snap decision to escape/evade but with that being said i don't over estimate my abilities to do so in that kind of situation so i choose to distance myself from the possibilities as much as possible with placement.

On commonly traveled routes sometimes you will settle for a placement thinking it is safest then one day a different scenario will dawn on you and make you realize it is a poor choice and that there is a better option. Live and learn

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

I would do what @NevadaWolf said, and if that wasn't an option jump out of the way.

Also agree with @subxero but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #5
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Nevadawolf for the win. If you are stopped in gear and watching your mirrors, you should not be too surprised if someone rams up behind you. Even if you only have a second of warning time, that's enough to dart out of the way to the side.

Old July 30th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I rarely sit at a stop looking in my rear view mirror in my car. I usually do on my motorcycle (sometimes I forget). If I were in the OP's situation, and I though somebody was going to asspack me, I'd pull forward into the crosswalk and off to the side, probably in front of the car next to me.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Just to clarify, I don't think my personal reaction would be good enough to fully get out of the way, but maybe just able to start moving in the right direction. What I posted above is the goal, thankfully I have had no need to practice it.

I do agree with @subxero except on the point of watching your mirrors. Yes, one cannot glare at a mirror and stare down traffic to the exclusion of all else, but you can include them in the scan of the area and so have an update on conditions behind you fairly frequently. If anything changes (car begins approaching) you can start watching them with quick glances back up in front of you to keep an eye out there.

Just my thoughts...
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #8
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Living/commuting in NYC 5-boro, my reaction would depend on what type of car is going to hit me from behind when I'm stopped at a red light.
If it is public transportation or vehicle looks to be well insured; I will brace for impact and lay on the pavement until the ambulance takes me away.
If the vehicle looks like some uninsured driver, I'd get out of the way or get off the bike ASAP.
I've been commuting on moto in NYC for over a decade, yet to have anyone run into me from behind while stopped at a red light, I've had someone back into me while sitting at a red light, with passenger on the bike.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #9
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Interesting replies!

OK, for verification, I am usually on the left side of the lane (unless the right side offers a better escape route), although for this situation, I'd be on the left side. I always stay in first while at a light and always check my mirrors until the car behind me stops. Yes, I scan all around as well but always go back to my mirrors.

NevadaWolf has a point that, in the case I was thinking about (a five lane road with left turn, right turn, and three straight lanes), there would be room in a crosswalk. So, I guess I would try and move into that crosswalk, to the left of my current lane.

Having said that though, when coming to a light with all lanes open, which lane would you prefer to take? I was thinking the middle lane in my scenario but is there a better lane to be in?

Also, I was in a situation like this once in my car. I was stopped, looked in my rear view and noticed a car coming on me really fast. I realized he was not going to stop because of the rate at which he was coming up on my ass. I started honking my horn like crazy and he jammed on his brakes...just barely screeching to a halt before my bumper. So, I believe you can tell if someone was going too fast and may rear end you.

D.

Old July 30th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #10
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Found myself in this situation many years ago, 1985 ish , prior to anti lock brakes. Saw the driver approaching at around 50mph and didn't notice the headlamps diving down like she was braking. I pushed my RZ350 up against the car to my left as she locked up the brakes and slid up between us. I decided to follow her after the light turned green only to find her destination was the night club about a mile up the road.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #11
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Backflip
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sigh.... the answer is to not put yourself in this situation to begin with, as subzero commented. Why do you this? Because if you need to move, you already have your escape plan on tap. If you have your choice of lanes, why box yourself in the middle one? (Only and turning lanes excluded obviously....)
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #13
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Sigh.... the answer is to not put yourself in this situation to begin with, as subzero commented. Why do you this? Because if you need to move, you already have your escape plan on tap. If you have your choice of lanes, why box yourself in the middle one? (Only and turning lanes excluded obviously....)
Obviously avoiding this would be ideal. However, when you come to a light, you have to stop, so it's not about putting yourself in a precarious situation by not being attentive. Merely stopping is putting yourself in a precarious situation, and you have to stop.

I pose this scenario because I'm always thinking of my escape route. However, in thinking about this situation, I was having difficulty planning my escape route, or at least positioning myself for an escape.

I guess you mean to avoid the middle lane then? OK, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

D.

Old July 30th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
i wouldn't be in that situation. I stick to the left lane on the left side of the lane with room to move forward if there are no cars behind me.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSomething View Post
...........I feel like sharply turning your bike and attempting to move to the side will make me drop my bike anyway (which is why I asked about ditching it above). Am I wrong though?
Quote:
Obviously avoiding this would be ideal. However, when you come to a light, you have to stop, so it's not about putting yourself in a precarious situation by not being attentive. Merely stopping is putting yourself in a precarious situation, and you have to stop.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #16
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I've seen this video before. Yep, looks like I'll be practicing this.

D.

Old July 30th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:

I pose this scenario because I'm always thinking of my escape route. However, in thinking about this situation, I was having difficulty planning my escape route, or at least positioning myself for an escape.

I guess you mean to avoid the middle lane then? OK, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

D.
In my area I don't have this problem much but seeing how you are in FL and I am also in FL, I see your issue. Only (left) on the inside and only (right) on the outside seems to be common in FL. What do you do?

Position yourself as far left as you can safely get in the middle lane. These cages are turning left (they are stopped anyway) witch gives you the most space on the intersection to work with. Upon the events of your example, get in front of the left turners ASAP. But beware those that are turning left from the intersection traffic. You got about 10 or so feet to work with....

And yea... be ready, if that plan don't work to ditch the bike and get to the grassy area in the center. At that point it should only be a few steps away.

Old July 30th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

If the lane to your left is going straight, then position yourself to the right side to blend in with the right turners. If your in the middle of 3 lanes going straight.... well you messed up and wasn't planning far enough ahead.

Old July 30th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sorta off topic but i saw someone get rear ended today. poor bastard just locked up all 4 wheels and drifted into the guy in front of him. could have recovered easy if they let up a bit. spooked i guess. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsmash. right next to me! it surprised me. come to think of it that's the second time that's happened to me. last time i got hit with an ejected tail light

Old July 30th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #20
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Easier said than done, but I'd try to make a 90 degree turn to either side as fast as possible in front of the cars next to me.
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #21
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
If the lane to your left is going straight, then position yourself to the right side to blend in with the right turners. If your in the middle of 3 lanes going straight.... well you messed up and wasn't planning far enough ahead.
For the 3 straight lanes.....if there's a car already stopped on the left lane...and if there's a car already stopped in the right lane.....and there's a free space in the middle lane, you're telling me you would not take that lane and be first off the line when the light turns green?

Old July 30th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #22
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfman View Post
Easier said than done, but I'd try to make a 90 degree turn to either side as fast as possible in front of the cars next to me.
Why does it have to be 90 degrees? Why not 45 degrees? You'll still move the bike in front of the car next to you.

Old July 31st, 2015, 04:27 AM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
For the 3 straight lanes.....if there's a car already stopped on the left lane...and if there's a car already stopped in the right lane.....and there's a free space in the middle lane, you're telling me you would not take that lane and be first off the line when the light turns green?
No, I am not saying that because, in th OP example all three lanes were open and the rider would have lane choice.

It's a situational call mostly and there is no real right or wrong answer.

Old July 31st, 2015, 08:05 AM   #24
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Ahhhh. I read the OP too quickly. He gets there first. Then other pull up next to him.

Old July 31st, 2015, 09:00 AM   #25
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I try to stay off to the right side. I know we're supposed to "own our lane" but worst case scenario the driver doesn't see you then sees you then swerves into you? I mean that doesn't make sense. I feel like more scenarios would play out that the driver would end up just going into the intersection and missing you if you are out of the direct path.

Either way though, like sub said, there isn't going to be enough time to ditch the bike in 99.99% scenarios. Your best bet would be to flash your brake light, beep your horn and pray.

Old July 31st, 2015, 09:52 AM   #26
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Ok, I see what you're saying...avoid the middle lane if you have a choice. And, be ready to move in front of the next lane if necessary. I'd still have to practice the sharp turn maneuver. Even when I practice u-turns, I move forward a bit before turning. Although I am getting better at those!

Thanks!

D.

Old July 31st, 2015, 09:55 AM   #27
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I try to stay off to the right side. I know we're supposed to "own our lane" but worst case scenario the driver doesn't see you then sees you then swerves into you? I mean that doesn't make sense. I feel like more scenarios would play out that the driver would end up just going into the intersection and missing you if you are out of the direct path.

Either way though, like sub said, there isn't going to be enough time to ditch the bike in 99.99% scenarios. Your best bet would be to flash your brake light, beep your horn and pray.
Yeah, I always flash my brake light anyway until the car appears like it's going to stop. I think there would be enough time to ditch the bike if you were paying attention. Maybe I'm wrong though.

D.

Old July 31st, 2015, 09:56 AM   #28
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I move forward a bit before turning. Although I am getting better at those!

Thanks!

D.
Lean your bike just a bit before you start moving.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2015, 10:07 AM   #29
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Lean your bike just a bit before you start moving.
Yep, like the video Motofool provided. I'll start trying that. Although, that's how I dropped my bike the only time it dropped . Leaned to the right to turn right. But, I know what I did wrong...not enough throttle.

D.

Old July 31st, 2015, 10:49 AM   #30
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Why does it have to be 90 degrees? Why not 45 degrees? You'll still move the bike in front of the car next to you.
To minimize exposure to cross traffic. But yes, 45 degrees should be sufficient provided there is room for you to do that.
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2015, 01:18 PM   #31
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Some traffic situations: the wrong and right approaches

Most regulated intersections are between two bi-directional roads.

In those cases, consider that launching forward while turning right, even at less than 90 degrees, goes with the direction of the crossing traffic that is closer to your stopped position.
Those cars may rear end you at a lower relative speed.
Having more time seeing your maneuver, those drivers may be able to swerve and avoid you.

Choosing a left turn will lead to a possible heads-on collision with reduced reaction times and added speeds (yours + car/truck); hence, higher destructive forces.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote