Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Motor choice :/
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #282
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Motor choice :/
Even with the extra torque and better drive out of the turns it would be hard for me to pick a big single over a small twin, they are just more fun IMO

not sure how accurate any of the spec stuff these guys rattle off are but the differences they quickly mention towards the end are not very different especially in the weight and power category.

I guess the N300 is track prepped and not stock which could get it closer to the RC390 weight and power spec but you would think the RC390 would also have that benefit pushing the weight down a bit and the power up a bit from the talked about specs that we have seen, doesn't seem to be the case here though.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #283
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Something to note is that the specs cited in that video are for the race variant bikes.

I don't know what they do to the Kawi to prep it for that UK series, but the RC390 Cup bike actually delivers LESS horsepower than the street version due to ADAC class rules. A fair bit, too... maybe 10%??? Don't recall what the power on the street 390 is, but the number 42 pops into my head. Then again, I might just be thinking of the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

One of the magazines was careful to note that this derating is accomplished by a throttle stop. That made me laugh... they're clearly telegraphing that you can remove the restriction and get back to stock power.

Also note that the RC390 street version specs are all right at the limit for the UK A2 license. (Or, since it's the UK, "licence.")

What this suggests to me is that there's a lot more potential in that bike with some mild mods. I'm sure the aftermarket will step up.

Looking at that video, I'm still liking the 390 a lot, especially the styling. What disappoints me slightly is the sound. That thumper BLAAAAT just doesn't do it for me. But I can easily overlook something that trivial.

I mean, my Ninjette sounded WAY better than my GSXR does. It had a lot more character.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #284
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Something to note is that the specs cited in that video are for the race variant bikes.

I don't know what they do to the Kawi to prep it for that UK series, but the RC390 Cup bike actually delivers LESS horsepower than the street version due to ADAC class rules. A fair bit, too... maybe 10%??? Don't recall what the power on the street 390 is, but the number 42 pops into my head. Then again, I might just be thinking of the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

One of the magazines was careful to note that this derating is accomplished by a throttle stop. That made me laugh... they're clearly telegraphing that you can remove the restriction and get back to stock power.

Also note that the RC390 street version specs are all right at the limit for the UK A2 license. (Or, since it's the UK, "licence.")

What this suggests to me is that there's a lot more potential in that bike with some mild mods. I'm sure the aftermarket will step up.

Looking at that video, I'm still liking the 390 a lot, especially the styling. What disappoints me slightly is the sound. That thumper BLAAAAT just doesn't do it for me. But I can easily overlook something that trivial.

I mean, my Ninjette sounded WAY better than my GSXR does. It had a lot more character.
that would make sense as to what they say good detective work.

Reported hp #'s for the rc390 are in the 43hp range not the high 30's that they said in the vid

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old November 13th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #285
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I like all these small bike track comparisons, next up will have to be a 4 way with the N300, R3, CBR300R, and the RC390. I'm very content with my N300 and I think they're all brilliant machines but a lengthy comparison between all 4 of them would be fantastic to see how all of them perform. I'd expect it to be a close match on peak performance between the N300 and R3 with the RC390 being slightly ahead and the cbr being way behind.

Old November 13th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #286
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Aaaand pricing is in.

$5499.

I would very much like to know if we can get hold of the race-ready version, or at least the bits that make it so. I've read that everything that goes into the ADAC bike will be available from KTM, but that doesn't mean it's a reality here.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #287
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Aaaand pricing is in.

$5499.

I would very much like to know if we can get hold of the race-ready version, or at least the bits that make it so. I've read that everything that goes into the ADAC bike will be available from KTM, but that doesn't mean it's a reality here.
Link????? That price would make things really interesting in the small displacement market.

Old November 13th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #288
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
Link????? That price would make things really interesting in the small displacement market.
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/11/1...priced-us5499/
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #289
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
http://www.ktm.com/us/news-events/ne...l#.VGUohsnthKo

Quote:
Murrieta, CA – KTM North America, Inc. is excited to announce three new models to the 2015 street line-up, including the 390 Duke, RC 390 and the 1290 Super Adventure.

The 390 Duke is an expansion to the Duke line that already includes the 1290 Super Duke R and 690 Duke. The Austrian manufacturer pulled out all stops on this state-of-the-art, liquid-cooled 4-stroke engine from the Bosch electronic fuel-injection system to the four-valve cylinder head with DLC-coated finger followers. These engine components all combine maximum power with impressive refinement and reliability. WP suspension components as well as a top quality ABS braking system by Brembo ensure precision and full control for a retail price of $4,999.

The new KTM RC 390 captures the thrill of Moto3 racing and translates it into a nimble street-legal bike. The compact 375cc single-cylinder 4-stroke motor delivers 44 HP and an impressively high power to weight ratio. Exceptional braking performance and a lightweight chassis combine to deliver unmatched control and agility. This fully-faired race machine comes with a trellis frame, WP upside-down 43mm front forks. LED lighting, ABS, lightweight cast aluminum swingarm, and light aluminum wheels to make it a class-leading performer. This unit will retail at an exceptional value of $5,499.

Those prices seem fair!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #290
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Oh dayum, that's some good pricing

that means everything in the class is basically the same price (once you add abs) things are really heating up now, I'm behind the R3 for looks and the N300 because I own it

Old November 13th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #291
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Oh dayum, that's some good pricing

that means everything in the class is basically the same price (once you add abs) things are really heating up now, I'm behind the R3 for looks and the N300 because I own it
Just a note on that - the Yamaha R3 ($4990) is not available with ABS in the U.S. according to the motorcycle.com link I posted above.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #292
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Just a note on that - the Yamaha R3 ($4990) is not available with ABS in the U.S. according to the motorcycle.com link I posted above.
thanks for the clarification, odd that they wouldn't include that as an option but it's not necessary and that's coming from someone who has abs

Old November 13th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #293
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

I'm curious how Kawa and Honda will respond to this. Honda is now way behind the competition. Kawa is just a tad behind the R3 and RC390 in power. Will they be OK with that or could we see a Kawa/Honda 350?

As much as I like seeing a few bikes in the slightly higher CC range I hope they don't go too high, for the new riders sake.

Old November 13th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #294
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I'm hoping that kawi responds in a way that isn't all about outright power...but we all know how kawi thinks I half expect a ninja 400 but what I'd really want out of them is some suspension work & better brakes out of the box, as well as some real tires since the R3 stepped up the game by offering the michelins with the bike.

Old November 13th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #295
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Ah damn it, and here I was thinking I'm done buying bikes for a while >
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #296
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Ah damn it, and here I was thinking I'm done buying bikes for a while >
theoretically you should be, all of these bikes would overlap with the role of your 250.

Old November 13th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #297
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Yes and no; my wife hoons around on our 250 when she feels like going slow and hops on the 600 when she wants to go fast. I wouldn't mind getting another slow one to goof off on too.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #298
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
that changes things quite a bit, have at it

Old November 13th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #299
smokinsingle
L8APEX

Name: CRA#33 EXPERT

Motorcycle(s): 07 KTM 950SMR, 06 KTM 450SMR, 99 KTM 300MXC, 00 Derbi GPR 50, 09 Ninja 250 racebike, race with www.cra-mn.org!

RC390 cup in the states!!!!!!!!!!!
BAM:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...h-motoamerica/

Old November 13th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #300
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
oh hell, I guess I may end up with one of these down the line if they don't end up allowing N300/R3 into that class at the time that I'd be wanting to race and having the skills to do so.

I had heard rumors that motoamerica was trying to set up a small displacement class before their 600cc class in an effort to bring more people into the sport more easily from a financial standpoint.

breaking it down,
bike < $10,000 with full mods
gear, you likely have that anyway but <$1,000 for everything
tires < $5,000/season
Objectively speaking it's not that bad so long as you don't crash....Now if only I had the skill :'( by the time I have the skills I'll be at least 23-24

Old November 13th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #301
choneofakind

Name: .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
i like how they're coming in with good prices. I feel that kawasaki has been able to name their price for the last few years. Every time an increase. :/ Yamaha and KTM have put the fire on Kawi. I like where this has gone, can't wait to see more. I like all three, if I were to buy right now, I'd be torn. Really torn. I want to wait to see more comparisons once they all have some time to get onto us roads.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 13th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #302
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
$5500 seems reasonable, but fighting with dealerships over their crazy markup might be interesting.

I think it would be kinda stupid to turn the small displacement bike scene into a hp race, i'm hoping the manufactures think the same after all these are primarily marketed towards beginner street riders.

The N300 is right where it should be IMO, no reason to go anywhere in displacement but it could benefit from some upgraded bits here and there to be more competitive with the R3. Think the R3 will be in a good position nothing needed. The cbr, displacement is fine no need to chase that, but like the N300 it could use some upgraded hardware IMO and it would still be probably the cheapest of bunch and being a single it will have different power delivery to separate it from the bunch as well.

The new bikes seem to really diversify the budget small displacement bike scene, something for everyone. Things are shaping up nicely

Old November 13th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #303
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ I agree with the majority of the above, I do feel that the R3 is on the top of the japanese bikes at the moment (need comparisons to really know though) but yamaha could benefit from adding optional abs. Safety equipment sells, particularly when dealing with new riders. I like having abs when I ride in the rain and snow though I've never kicked it in on the front brakes, not for lack of trying, but it's nice to know it's there when the weather turns sour.

Old November 13th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #304
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Maybe if Kawi wasn't so busy marketing their H2 they'd have noticed they are about to lose a large number of potential customers. Or maybe their plan is to confuse the newbs who walk into the dealerships looking for that 300hp Ninja only to put them on the Ninja300.

All I know is, If I had the money for a new small bike. I'd be looking at Yamaha and KTM. Hopefully I can pick up a used R3 or RC in a couple years!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #305
choneofakind

Name: .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Definitely should not be a HP race. It should be a power/weight ratio race. Or a chassis development race. Or a spec-level race.

The point of a small displacement bike is to be low on power to harbor learning and make riding approachable and fun for riders of all skill levels: making a HP race out of small bikes is a total joke. Let's see some badass chassis development (let's see some more cradle frames, I like KTM's trellis, Honda's ain't bad either). Let's see some higher spec adjustable suspension, again the nod goes to KTM's forks. How about better brakes, maybe the R3 gets the nod? Let's see bikes that are a better package, not just bikes with 21cc's more than the competition and 2 hp more.

Old November 13th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #306
chris 25Or
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR1000rr, 2012 BMW S1000rr, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2015 KTM RC 390, 2013 Triumph 675R

I just put a deposit on 2 RC390, they should be here March 2015.
chris 25Or is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #307
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
wait, two of them?

Old November 13th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #308
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Price was just announced on the Duke 390 @ $4999... Sounds about right.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/11/1...999-price-tag/
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #309
chris 25Or
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR1000rr, 2012 BMW S1000rr, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2015 KTM RC 390, 2013 Triumph 675R

Quote:
wait, two of them?

Yes, one for me and one for Brian.
chris 25Or is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #310
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris 25Or View Post
Yes, one for me and one for Brian.
That makes a lot more sense, have fun with those and the competitive spirit that comes with 2 people riding the same bike.

Old November 14th, 2014, 07:46 AM   #311
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I think its great, and I look forward to riding one. The spec cup class should be great too, hopefully does well getting young riders into the professional scene at a lower cost and greater availability.

I am really excited to see how MotoAmerica is going to shake out. Positive for US racing for sure.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #312
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I'm torn! I love my little Ninjettes, but N300 or an R3?

Both sweet bikes. R3 just under $5k.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #313
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I think its great, and I look forward to riding one. The spec cup class should be great too, hopefully does well getting young riders into the professional scene at a lower cost and greater availability.

I am really excited to see how MotoAmerica is going to shake out. Positive for US racing for sure.
It's the best news we've had in a while for US racing, now if only I were faster. At least I'm not painfully slow anymore, just slow

@ally99 interesting that you'd post asking about N300 vs R3 in the RC390 thread. I can't really recommend the RC390 to you for your uses. It's a bit more track focused and will be a less comfortable street bike for sure. I'm leaning R3 for you but the N300 will have a much larger fuel range and I love the way the tank is sculpted on it.

Old November 15th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #314
cbinker
Track Clown

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I would go with the RC390.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #315
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
It's the best news we've had in a while for US racing, now if only I were faster. At least I'm not painfully slow anymore, just slow

@ally99 interesting that you'd post asking about N300 vs R3 in the RC390 thread. I can't really recommend the RC390 to you for your uses. It's a bit more track focused and will be a less comfortable street bike for sure. I'm leaning R3 for you but the N300 will have a much larger fuel range and I love the way the tank is sculpted on it.
Slight thread jack I guess. A few posts above we're speculating how this might affect the r3 and the n300. Got my gears going again.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #316
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Slight thread jack I guess. A few posts above we're speculating how this might affect the r3 and the n300. Got my gears going again.
well on that note. I see the rc390 as the track bike of choice between the three. The R3 and the N300 is a bit of a toss up though but the R3 is slightly better for now until the N300 responds. Realistically though all 3 bikes will do the job, which is to put a smile on the riders face.

Old November 17th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #317
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Aaaand pricing is in.

$5499.

According to KTM all the "race" parts are bolt on and available from the dealer in the RC 390 catalogue. All the parts they use in the 390 cup are easily purchased thru KTM! I really like this bike and hope my wife chooses it as her next ride so I can steal it and take it to the track a few times!

I just read an article in one of the bike mags and they are planning a Ninja 300 VS CBR 300 VS R3 VS RC 390 article soon as possible. Guess they need to wait till 2 of the 4 get released to the public. The same mag had a great article about racing a CBR 250 VS the Ninja 250 on a track with equal skilled riders. The Ninja smoked the CBR on the straights but could not lose the CBR because it handled better. Longer less twisty track the Ninja would have killed it but it ended up really close with the ninja taking it by a few thousandths of a second. Great read.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #318
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Well the biggest thing with the N250 vs the cbr250r was that the N250 was more fun and slightly faster but the cbr had fuel injection which put it on top until the N300 came out. I'm also really looking forward to that review.

I'm also interested in the total cost of the bike after purchasing all of those "race" parts. The RC390 cup is something I'm somewhat interested in and it being affordable would help a bit.

Old November 17th, 2014, 04:08 AM   #319
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Well the biggest thing with the N250 vs the cbr250r was that the N250 was more fun and slightly faster but the cbr had fuel injection which put it on top until the N300 came out. I'm also really looking forward to that review.

I'm also interested in the total cost of the bike after purchasing all of those "race" parts. The RC390 cup is something I'm somewhat interested in and it being affordable would help a bit.
Since the parts come from the factory I would guess they are $$$. The article I read in Sport Rider said you can purchase a fully race ready bike for approx $9000 complete. $5500 (guess) for street version leaves about $3500 to $4000 for race kit. The article did not mention if there were any spares included nor did it specify what came with the race prepared bike. I do know it comes with an Apkarovic (spelling?) silencer which looks great and weighs less than stock.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #320
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I never know if I'm spelling, or saying for that matter, akrapovic correctly either. $9000 isn't completely outrageous, especially considering that's a large portion of the entry cost to get into the RC cup class. Still well out of my price range though