ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 5th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
melted spark plug

this is what it looks like when hot exhaust gas starts escaping through the plug hole:

Old October 5th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #3
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

did it score the spark plug well?

Old October 5th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it melted the spark plug. i guess you cant really see it so well but the walls of the spark plug are literally melted toward the base of the plug. the threads in the plug hole were destroyed. already ordered the helicoil kit (technically 'recoil' brand) as well as a new cam chain (was a good 9mm out of spec!!!) cam sprockets (they've got some sweet heat treatment marks now... lol), plugs obviously, as well as lots of other good stuff like new ROSSO 2 tire and a new drive chain setup and sprocket... free shipping is free, right? might as well buy more ****. hah!

Old October 5th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think you're going to need a new plug.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #6
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it melted the spark plug. i guess you cant really see it so well but the walls of the spark plug are literally melted toward the base of the plug. the threads in the plug hole were destroyed. already ordered the helicoil kit (technically 'recoil' brand) as well as a new cam chain (was a good 9mm out of spec!!!) cam sprockets (they've got some sweet heat treatment marks now... lol), plugs obviously, as well as lots of other good stuff like new ROSSO 2 tire and a new drive chain setup and sprocket... free shipping is free, right? might as well buy more ****. hah!

Your new cam chain was 9mm off? How many miles and where did you buy it? Do you have to split the case to change it on a newgen?

Is it possible you got too hot of plugs? Those look like newgen plugs.

Anyhow, since the steel parts of the plug melted and steel melts at a much higher temperature than aluminum, I would be concerned about damage to the head in addition to the threads that you already know about. Possibly one or more valve seats.

Seriously though, I'm really starting to wonder if your bike likes you very much.

Old October 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
27k miles, wot for the past 20k. The old chain was 9mm off, new one is oem new so... You do have to split the case to replace the cam chain. Plugs were standard ngk cr8e.

No damage to the valve seats but some debris caused minor damage to exhaust valve tops on that side. Nothing major enough to warrant replacing them or even doing work on them though.

Very very minor damage to the side wall of the cylinder though. I might rehone it and put in new rings on that side.

The head gasket had just started to go (can see the escape path into the water pipe) so I got a new gasket but I'm worried the aluminum head is warped. We will see.