ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old January 31st, 2014, 01:21 AM   #41
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
I completely understand why you want a different bike. Especially now that you've ridden other motos. A motorcycle does 3 things: turn, stop, and accelerate. The ninjettes do all of those horribly. They're fun in the sense that you can wring 100% of the performance on the street... But in real world applications it does nothing a real motorcycle can, which includes the benefits during street riding.

Now that you've ridden a couple I'm sure you see things for what they are. The ninjette is an extremely limiting machine.

Can you tell my insurance provider & wife it's not a real motorcycle?

What is your ideal street motorcycle?

Last futzed with by Tigerpaw; January 31st, 2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Bewbs
Tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2014, 01:24 AM   #42
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Buy used. That way if you don't like it, there won't be a huge investment lost.

( I never follow my own advice )

Old January 31st, 2014, 07:14 AM   #43
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
A friend has a 675 Daytona, and I've ridden it on a limited basis, but I can tell you the riding position is pretty extreme - even for Super Sports.

Bars are low and seat is higher than most. Manageable at full-tilt, but not very good if you wanted to actually go somewhere. Not that it can't be done, but for most the position would get old quickly.

Fun bike though. Great sounding tail-mount exhaust. Other than the sound and power I was happy to hop back on my SV with real handlebars and a better seating position.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2014, 08:53 AM   #44
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

I'll throw in another vote for the Street Triple. Yes, it's naked but I find the tiny screen makes a big difference to the wind buffeting issue. Admittedly my freeway commute was about 30 minutes so nothing like 300 miles, but I love the riding position.
Oh, and the insurance was only about 30% more than my 250 - I'm well under $1000 for a year.
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2014, 09:10 AM   #45
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post

What is your ideal street motorcycle?
My insurance provider seems to think it's a scooter with the kind of coverage I have for the cost that I pay. At lowest I can pay something like $8/year for minimum liability only for the 300, but you'd have to be arrogant or absolutely dirt poor to only get minimum liability on a bike.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:47 AM   #46
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

@CycleCam303
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (153.0 KB, 26 views)

Last futzed with by anacron; February 2nd, 2014 at 01:11 PM.
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:00 AM   #47
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:31 AM   #48
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

A lil context (bragging rights) would help. I see you've put your helmet on a bike that happens to be the bike you want out on the street
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:33 AM   #49
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Very nice, do you have any mods planned?
I'd suggest an arrow exhaust and a flyscreen.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #50
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
A lil context (bragging rights) would help. I see you've put your helmet on a bike that happens to be the bike you want out on the street
"If you like it, then you should've put a [helmet] on it"?
Sorry, I was really busy riding it and breaking it in. Put about 70 miles while hanging out with a couple of moto friends and doing some photography in Chinatown/Golden Gate.

The decision was between the Street Triple and the Fz-09. I took the street triple out for a test ride; loved it; bought it. What I really loved was the exhaust.... ERR MAH GAWD!!! That think screams at you, it literally screams starting at 8k (and this is stock exhaust ) Then I bought it.

Riding across Golden Gate and Bay Bridge was completely fine (the wind picked up on my way home but a comfortable ride). The bike is so agile, yet with enough weight to stay planted. Strong winds would push you around a little bit, though. For long trips to SoCal - at highway speeds - this thing will be fine. Seat was really comfortable, handlebar position perfect (clutch is a tad heavy for stop and go traffic).

Also, I love the Pirelli SuperCorsa tires. Never knew, tire feedback could be so good. ABS, Fully adjustable suspension and Nissin brakes that'll stop you on a dime. Gauge cluster is phenomenal it has: engine temp, gear indicator, shift lights(customizable), lap timer, fuel level and the other usual suspects.

Overall, I'm a happy camper and will post higher quality pics shortly.

@Sirref
Flyscreen for sure. I think I'll wait for exhaust until after break-in service. The usual goodies like tankpad, (maybe) rim tape, fender eliminator will happen soon.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:18 PM   #51
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Ah clarification, nice Considering engine covers?

Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:17 PM   #52
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Nice bike! You're going to love that thing. Maybe I should pick up a naked bike... Just kidding. I'm glad you didn't get a daytona. Not that I don't like being twins but that kinda cramps my style. Lol.

We'll have to go for a ride if I ever get a street bike again
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:56 PM   #53
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Flyscreen for sure. I think I'll wait for exhaust until after break-in service. The usual goodies like tankpad, (maybe) rim tape, fender eliminator will happen soon.
I'd go for the white/red rim tape, it always makes the wheels pop which makes any bike look fantastic especially one that already does. While I do suggest Arrow exhaust after the break-in service there are a few other good ones for that bike, arrow just sounds the best to me

Have fun with that beautiful bike, I'm hella jealous. I'll likely get one of those when I graduate along with a reliable car (thinking a subaru/audi wagon (awd + towing dirt bikes and track bikes + 5/6 speed transmission)) unless yamaha comes out with their R675 triple by then.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:15 PM   #54
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Ah clarification, nice Considering engine covers?
Yep, I think so but I'll stick to the "cheaper" stuff for the moment. Tank pad and rim tape first.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #55
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Nice bike! You're going to love that thing. Maybe I should pick up a naked bike... Just kidding. I'm glad you didn't get a daytona. Not that I don't like being twins but that kinda cramps my style. Lol.

We'll have to go for a ride if I ever get a street bike again
Hahaha! As long as you're keepin it in the Triumph family
Thanks, its been awesome so far. Too bad it rained today.

@Sirref
Thank you very much! G'luck with the studies and hopefully you get something with a triple engine soon!

Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:18 AM   #56
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Excellent choice!
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM   #57
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
Apparently insurance companies do think the street triple is a scooter. I'm paying less than the Ninja 300 for full coverage. Looks like they class vehicles by type of bike and naked seems to mean "not sport".

I don't know how to break it to the bike... it seems to think that it's a Daytona in a bikini.
@jkv45
Thank you! I'm having a blast on it.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:27 PM   #58
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Apparently insurance companies do think the street triple is a scooter. I'm paying less than the Ninja 300 for full coverage. Looks like they class vehicles by type of bike and naked seems to mean "not sport".

I don't know how to break it to the bike... it seems to think that it's a Daytona in a bikini.
@jkv45
Sounds like a win/win/win.

Congrats! on a beautiful bike.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM   #59
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:

@jkv45
Yea that's a good point, my insurance would go down almost $20/month if I sold my bike (and car) to get one now. including car it would go down ~260/month It's not even running and I'm paying $240/month on that bs

Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:14 PM   #60
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
What insurance company are you with? Might be good for future reference haha.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:46 PM   #61
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
They grow up so fast.

Quote:
Hey folks,

Just bought myself a ninja 300 last week and will be taking delivery of it in a couple of day
Been keepin' busy by trying to freak my neighbors out by walking around with my gear on
Fast forward 1 month

Quote:
So, I've had my bike for a solid month now. Its got 130 odd miles on it and aside from being generally pleased with the experience, I found myself really growing attached to the little things from the little 300.

For example, I went out for a spirited ride yesterday and I just couldn't wipe the big, fat grin off my face. It wasn't because the 300 falls into corners so easily nor the silky smooth clutch action, nor the surprisingly crisp gearbox (lots of people have complained about this, but my experience has been really good). It was actually the whining of the air intake whenever I took the revs past 6k. I mean, come on, that think sounded like a spooling jet engine.

So, yeah. I'm anacron and I'm a Ninjaholic.
Fast forward 2.5 months

Quote:
Well, I finally hit 600 miles on my Ninja and took 'er out to celebrate by hitting some twisties just now.

It really came alive in the corners; the engine burbling under decel as I bang down through the gears and screaming through the power band as I accelerate out. I'm really glad I played around with rev matching during the break-in. I can't imagine any other fun way of downshifting in the twisties. Can't wait to do that circuit again when the sun's up.

However, it wasn't without its downsides:
1) Lack of power. Acceleration out of the corner wasn't very exciting.
2) Front brake was very vague and imo very weak (I wasn't confident using the front brake alone).
3) The stock tires are rubbish. Road feel was nonexistent, almost felt like something was between rubber and asphalt.
4) Handlebar/foot pegs position in the tuck is horrible.

Most of these are easily resolved... but maybe its a more fundamental issue where my mindset is shifting towards a race orientation rather than the street.

I finally let the bike out today and came home with the bittersweet conclusion that I might just be ready for a step up.

Too soon to think that?
Absolutely.
Am I going to act on that impulse?
Nope (Not yet at least)
Fast forward 5 days

Quote:
Hit the twisties again today

Through the twisties, I noticed that my foot would start dragging on tight turns. I'm thinking about investing in some aftermarket rear sets to get more ground clearance. Throw in clip-ons as well?
Fast forward 2 days

Quote:
4 months of no issues and I finally laid the bike down on Redwood rd. Bike has some cosmetic issues and the tail is sort of messed up. Gear saved the hell out of me. A sore left ankle and big toe but otherwise injury free.

I laid the bike down... got back up and rode 10 miles home. Details to follow once I've processed the crash. Bike and I are mechanically sound and doing well (as well as we can in the circumstances).

I target fixated and didn't have enough time to brake.
Same thread

Quote:
...A quick correction though... yes, I said that it would be nice to have some more power but I also said (in the same post) that I have no plans to upgrade any time soon. Conversational nuances don't translate well on forum posts - which might account for the perception of me being rash and out of control.

Trust me... I have no desire to throw away my PhD or aspirations of getting into academia and research...
Fast forward 2 months

Quote:
Went to the International Motorcycle Show yesterday and had a chance to test ride the 2014 ZX6r

Throttle response is great and the extra 36cc really does give it more low end pull especially when compared to my friend's GSXR 1000. As soon as you hit 4k the bike really wakes up, the exhaust note becomes angrier, the intake; whinier. That's just the bike... You feel it too: a noticeable pull on your shoulder sockets, tunnel vision, your heart ticking over faster and adrenaline coursing through every part of you.

In short, that level of acceleration is unbelievable. Even more so, is how planted the front feels and how confident you feel on it because you really learned how to ride on the 250/300. Pumping the bike into turns was really interesting. You actually had to work for it and that telepathic understanding you have with the 300 doesn't surface on the ZX6R.

Light and flickable... I think that was my main takeaway. Can't wait to buy a Daytona next winter.
^

2 weeks later, video of riding

Link to original page on YouTube.

clearly pro

Fast forward 2 months

Quote:

I've been doing quite a few highway miles to see if I could use the 300 for the 300 mile trip down but I just wasn't convinced. Winding the engine so hard and constantly being buffeted by other vehicles was definitely draining.

So, I decided to sell the 300 and buy something a little bigger.
And now here we are, life on ninjette in a nutshell

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Last futzed with by subxero; February 4th, 2014 at 06:45 AM.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:00 PM   #62
anacron
ninjette.org guru

@subxero

Well done sir

@tfkrocks
State Farm

Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:51 PM   #63
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
buy a ninja 250. good upgrade from a ninja 300.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:38 PM   #64
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
@subxero nice writeup, I've never seen such a concise report of who a rider on ninjette is over their time here with the notable exception of jiggles shenanigans.

I also vouch that state farm is a great insurance company to do business with in terms of cost/what you get. I also recently learned that I'm covered for track days So long as it isn't a timed event it's all good since they consider it to have an educational aspect to it. (You can time it yourself just don't tell them lol)

Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:58 PM   #65
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
@subxero nice writeup, I've never seen such a concise report of who a rider on ninjette is over their time here with the notable exception of jiggles shenanigans.

I also vouch that state farm is a great insurance company to do business with in terms of cost/what you get. I also recently learned that I'm covered for track days So long as it isn't a timed event it's all good since they consider it to have an educational aspect to it. (You can time it yourself just don't tell them lol)
what if he did this as a regular thing... like that user spotlight thing, except it's E! True Hollywood User-spotlight with your host subxero. i'd subscribe.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:00 PM   #66
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
what if he did this as a regular thing... like that user spotlight thing, except it's E! True Hollywood User-spotlight with your host subxero. i'd subscribe.
That'd be sick

Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:15 PM   #67
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Bravo subX

Indeed :Popcorn:

Old February 4th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #68
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post

that would be something else, it is a fun idea but it takes to much time and effort especially considering it took me quite some time just to highlight some of anacron's brighter moments and he has only been around for 10 months not even 400 posts.

I can't imagine going through 1000's of threads for someone who has been here for a long time + in the user statistics it only stores for a few hundred and digging up older ones would be more difficult.

Not to mention my user spotlight might be a bit bias in most situations and highlight particular things that stand out to me as seen above

This was a special case for me as I remembered a lot of previous posts which sparked the idea and the moon and stars aligned just right.

The only thing that I feel did not go to plan and anacron got wrong was that he did not get an R6 <---

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #69
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Nice!

How the **** is insurance cheaper on that than a 300?? Don't make no sense

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #70
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Nice!

How the **** is insurance cheaper on that than a 300?? Don't make no sense
stock fairings, automatic insurance jump. plastics are easily broken and expensive to replace. In addition when an insurance company looks at a triumph unless it's a daytona all they see are cruisers and standard bikes (the street triple is a standard) which are typically ridden and owned by sensible people who don't crash as often as sport bikes. Now personally I would ride a street triple like a total hooligan and so would a lot of people, but insurance companies don't see that as a trend so unless the individual has mad tickets they won't really care.

Old February 4th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #71
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
The only thing that I feel did not go to plan and anacron got wrong was that he did not get an R6 <---
Believe it or not I actually make good decisions sometimes

Old February 4th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #72
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Quote:
Believe it or not I actually make good decisions sometimes
You have to total a ninjette to get an R6

Old February 4th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #73
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
stock fairings, automatic insurance jump. plastics are easily broken and expensive to replace. In addition when an insurance company looks at a triumph unless it's a daytona all they see are cruisers and standard bikes (the street triple is a standard) which are typically ridden and owned by sensible people who don't crash as often as sport bikes. Now personally I would ride a street triple like a total hooligan and so would a lot of people, but insurance companies don't see that as a trend so unless the individual has mad tickets they won't really care.
and the stats games. Your riding history factored into the general trends of the bike (# of claims, where you live etc.). When I was shopping for insurance premiums, Gixxers and R6's were the most expensive to carry full coverage (your experience may vary)

Old February 4th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #74
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
and the stats games. Your riding history factored into the general trends of the bike (# of claims, where you live etc.). When I was shopping for insurance premiums, Gixxers and R6's were the most expensive to carry full coverage (your experience may vary)
I can't even consider a modern supersport hahaha, I can get one but I like having full (and I do mean full) insurance coverage. With a supersport that tends to lead to me buying the bike again every other year or so through insurance.

Old February 4th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #75
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I can't even consider a modern supersport hahaha, I can get one but I like having full (and I do mean full) insurance coverage. With a supersport that tends to lead to me buying the bike again every other year or so through insurance.
I also thought I'd get a supersport but after putting some miles on the STR, I don't really see myself getting back on a SS. This thing pulls exactly like the Daytona except with better bottom end and a little less on top. More than enough for canyon carving (even with handlebars), more comfortable and highway riding is not bad (even without a flyscreen).

Old February 5th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #76
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
I also thought I'd get a supersport but after putting some miles on the STR, I don't really see myself getting back on a SS. This thing pulls exactly like the Daytona except with better bottom end and a little less on top. More than enough for canyon carving (even with handlebars), more comfortable and highway riding is not bad (even without a flyscreen).
Agreed

Just don't be lazy and keep them toes of yours on the pegs and work on your body position, a little bit goes a long way and you won't have to worry about dragging toe or anything of that nature.

Old February 6th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #77
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Let me round out this thread with my last ride on the 300. Finally finished uploading it.

And a better pic of the new moto!!!

Last futzed with by anacron; February 12th, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote