Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old July 30th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - MAG reps warning not to shed protective gear in heat

This is what can happen without protective kit

RIDERS are being urged not to shed protective clothing during the heatwave by a representative of the Motorcycle Action Group.

John Baker, deputy representative of the Southern region of MAG, said riders should resist the temptation to wear normal clothing.

He told the local press: ‘Recently I have seen quite a number of people wearing shorts and T-shirts. They are people taking their own choices but they are increasing their risk of having an accident.

‘If they come off their bike and make contact with the ground, the road will act like a cheese grater and their skin will come off.

‘It may take a few minutes to put on protective clothing but it saves a huge amount of pain and suffering.’

Baker spoke following two motorcycle accidents in Portsmouth, both resulting in minor injuries.

He said riders should always wear gloves, boots and abrasion resistant clothing.

But his view seems in contrast to MAG President Ian Mutch's, who recently wrote a column for Visordown arguing protective gear was less important than attitude.

Mutch admitted: ‘If I was going to take a bike round the Nurburgring, I’d wear all that protective kit. But if I am bimbling about in London, I wouldn’t, and I don’t and I didn’t even as a courier for five years in the 1980s. I dressed to be comfortable and I put my faith in what was inside my head, not what I wrapped it in. In the summer, I wore no gloves because the greater sensitivity gave me more control. The hotter it was, the more I loved it and the less I wore.’

So has Mutch been visiting the Portsmouth area?

Last summer police issued road rash pictures as a warning against riding without protective clothing.

Related Content

Discuss: We don’t need to reduce motorcycle casualties
MAG UK wound down after losing employment tribunal
MAG: Please buy this pop record
Motorcycle Action Group to appeal employment tribunal judgement
RAC Foundation releases road death statistics

Click here for full story...