Old March 11th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #41
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by diygirl09 View Post
I want to replace my airbox, but some people are telling me know to. I hate the thing b/c it makes it so hard to work on anything inside the bike especially getting the carbs out. I finally got them out after removing the battery, moving the air box back (b/c I still can't get the thing out) I think I might have to take off the back tire to get the air box out? I removed the back fender and still cant get the darn thing out. Any ways it just looks a lot nicer with an after market air filter... I just need to figure out where to buy one. It looks like we have the same bike. 2009 ninja 250
Remove the gas task seems to be the key: kkims DIY gas tank removal thread on kawiforums (boo!). In all you have to remove the fairings, seat, battery, fuel lines, fuel level sensor, the tank cross-member, the mud guard, etc. Here is a full DIY: DIY Airbox Removal Thread.

This is why my airbox is still, and will likely stay, stock.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #42
MIZ RX3
Miz and Buzz

Name: Miz

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelz View Post
Are you using a jet kit with those carbs? Or do they come pre-jetted?
Some jets do come with the carbs, but we needed smaller pilot jets and needle and air corrector jets in order to run it with twin K&N Pods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Kinda sad that's all it's making considering all the upgrades.
All the upgrades? The Dyno sheet only shows stock, with the exhaust and without the airbox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
yea i was under the impression exhuast could net you around 30whp
Well, no, all dyno's are slightly different.. Another 250 with jetted stock carbs, a full exhaust on the same dyno, only makes 28.5hp. It also depends*on the temperature of the run, and the humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelz View Post
The dyno's say stock, exhaust, and exhaust/air filter. So it sounds like they are untuned test runs. Even people who rejet with those mods only see 30-31.

I am excited to see what these upgraded carbs can do!
rwheelz is exactly right. If you read the Dyno sheets, the blue line is stock - in 2010 dead stock, no mods, no tuning, right off the showroom floor. Dark Red was with the new Leo Vince system BEFORE a tune, and the bright red was with the system and no air box BEFORE a tune.. My Mechanic did these so i had a comparison run for the three different setups.

We've taken the CR31's off for the moment, still waiting on smaller jets and they're going to be a few weeks away - so the standard carbs have gone back in for the time being and have been jetted and tuned. 29hp with just a bit jetting! WOOHOO! hehe, I didn't care so much about the power gain (as much as it is cool) I just wanted to do something different and working closely with my mechanic, we just wanted to see what we can pump out of it, seeing as most people don't bother because they upgrade after 12 months and it'd be a waste of money to mod a Learner bike!

Anyways the Ninja is going on the back burner for a month or two, preparations on my Suzuki RGV VJ21 for racing in April are now going to be taking up my time!

Old March 13th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #43
S14
ninjette.org member

Name: Kouki

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

We all love pictures!
S14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #44
Csmith9
ninjette.org member

Name: Codi

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Every one knows the best way to remove object B (air box) from object A (250 Ninja) is to hack it out with a chain saw, so instead of wasting time reading the DIY go out and buy a chain saw hahaha. Better get some duck tape also in case you hit the frame a little.
Csmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #45
diygirl09
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250

ha ha that's funny because that's what I felt like doing when tryhing to get my air box out. I wanted to just to get a chain saw and kill the thing, but I ended up removing the battery, back fering tail light seat tank and so on and then even after all that I still had to unscrew the 10 or so screws on the air box to get the thing to seperate and then tug and pull and yank and curs a lot... lots of cursing to get the darn thing out, but I finally got it out and I bought a new air filter that should be delived in the next few days that I am replacing the pos stock air box with, b/c there is no way in hello that I am going to try and get that moster pos box of an air box back in my bike.
diygirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #46
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

buzz lightyear to the rescue!
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #47
MIZ RX3
Miz and Buzz

Name: Miz

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Two steps forward, one step backwards.

Went out and inspected Brett's handiwork after heading to the Canberra Show last Saturday. Carbs were in etc, but weren't setup.

Come Monday, they'd been dynoed. Muchos power.... but an incredibly nasty flat spot between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. A flatspot is expected with CRs; the throttles open instantly. But there's a difference between flat but rideable and "wind the thing as rich as possible and it still sucks". Damn.

Turns out no-one's ever really set these up with K&Ns before & a really nice full system, not at least for bottom-end quality too. After supa and I emailed a few places to find out what's recommended, it turns out people accept they have to ride around it. Since Brett thinks things can be made better (with time and lots of tuning), but I want Buzz back soon, we're doing an interim measure: standard carbs tuned to suit exhaust and pod filters.

Note, this is interim only: we'll modify the airbox to run the Keihin supplied velocity stacks which apparently cures most of the bottom-end woes with the CR31s. Woot woot! Problem is it's not easy to run the stacks inside any easily available air filter setup: time for making a big-arsed opening into the airbox, using some air filter foam, and putting the velocity stacks inside the airbox.

Most people run the velocity stacks bare (e.g. see this GPX here: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...e-ryder-5.html). Ugh. Filters are useful on street bikes!

Mike from Power-Barn (the supplier of the carbs) suggests this is the best way to retain something resembling a bottom end (as small as it is in a 250) without losing any top-end.

As I said, two forwards, one backwards. Stay posted for interm results one, and the 'how to mod your airbox to make the damned velocity stacks fit and work awesomely' thread.

We've taken the CR31's off for the moment, still waiting on smaller jets and they're going to be a few weeks away - so the standard carbs have gone back in for the time being and have been jetted and tuned. 29hp with just a bit jetting! WOOHOO! hehe, I didn't care so much about the power gain (as much as it is cool) I just wanted to do something different and working closely with my mechanic, we just wanted to see what we can pump out of it, seeing as most people don't bother because they upgrade after 12 months and it'd be a waste of money to mod a Learner bike!

Anyways the Ninja is going on the back burner for a month or two, preparations on my Suzuki RGV VJ21 for racing in April are now going to be taking up my time

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #48
20ninja03
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Damn girl you rock. Great write ups and pics.
20ninja03 is offline   Reply With Quote