ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

the custom chopper rant

I know this site is mostly full of sportbike enthusiasts but there are probably some members who are like me and enjoy all bikes.

Anyways Ill get to it, I'm sick of seeing these 30k plus chromed out monstrosities that were being built for the RUB's to show off at bike nights. We have a Big Dog dealer right down the street from me and I have to say I was not impressed by their bikes. Then again I am more fascinated by the home built bobbers that are held together with bailing wire and have 60k plus miles on them than I am these yuppie rides with less than 500 miles on the clock. I blame that damn American Chopper show.

On the plus side the economy is making it hard to justify the existence of these show offs.

I have thought about picking up a basket case jap cruiser for dirt cheap and turning into a garage special.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #2
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Why do they bother you?
I'm not a fan of their obnoxiously loud exhausts, but that's no different then half the Harleys out there.
Other then that they have no effect on me. I do think they are an extreme waste of money, especially since most of them are so whacked out the riders can barely reach the bars and everything else. But, it's their money and if someone wants to spend 30 grand on it, more power to them...it's not my money

Old October 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I as well like the home builts better.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

People can waste their money on whatever they want, doesn't affect me at all.
So why care, let them ride their 50k bikes that drag hard parts when you change lanes.
Meanwhile enjoy riding a proper bike that can actually take turns.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Daeldren
two wheel addict

I just want to know what attracts them to such weird wastes of money, I mean if I had a ton of money to spend I'd at least try to get a classic or even better a desmocedecci. But like you said each to their own.

Old October 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Lots of people from all walks of wealth waste money. You know what is an even bigger waste of money than 30k choppers, jewelry, yet people spend a lot more of their disposable income on trinkets. I could name probably at least 100 more things people of all walks of life waste their money on, that IMO are worse than any motorcycle.

Im not saying that I agree with people buying those 30k rolling abortions. Im saying that its nothing new, and people pay high dollar for goods that showboat their wealth all the time, and have done so for ages.

Old October 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeldren View Post
I just want to know what attracts them to such weird wastes of money, I mean if I had a ton of money to spend I'd at least try to get a classic or even better a desmocedecci. But like you said each to their own.
Image.
Do you think that the people that are buying these 50k choppers are riding enthusiasts?
No, 99% of them are in it solely for the image. They don't care about how the motorcycle handles.
The ones that build them themselves (I don't mean by ordering parts out of a catalog either...) and actually put mileage on them, they are the enthusiasts.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Daeldren
two wheel addict

I guess in all reality its no different than the squids wanting to buy the biggest and baddest sportbike to showoff to all their other squid friends.

Old October 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #9
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeldren View Post
I guess in all reality its no different than the squids wanting to buy the biggest and baddest sportbike to showoff to all their other squid friends.
Very good point
I see plenty of people with chromed out busas that are 2-3 years old with less then 500 miles on them because they only go to bike nights. Same concept.

Old October 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I went on a ride with a friend last week. He has a Vulcan. Another guy had a totally custom fat boy that hardly resembled a fat boy. It was loud, uncomfortable looking due to floor board positioning, and had a beautiful dark blue/purple metal flake paint job with pinstriping. I was skeptical at first, he probably was too. I don't think he knew a ninja 250 from a zx14 and was expecting a wheelie or somehting out of me. We all rode about 50 miles on backgrounds and 2 lane routes. We changed order every so often as his bike was LOUD to follow. In the end I checked out his bike and appreciated it, he checked out mine, we had lunch and were just a couple guys both enjoying great roads, and great weather on 2 wheels, be it very different wheels.

I think you have great guys on cruisers and sportbikes, and idiots on cruisers and sportbikes. How about guys who buy big dollar boats and never leave the dock. They can tell you how sea worthy their boat is and all its nav gear, etc, but would never go where they can't see land.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Hey now. I don't think I've ever liked a bike produced by OCC, but the show American Chopper is awesome! Haha.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #12
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

I can appreciate the looks of some of those choppers but 99% of the choppers I see doesnt look like they are built for any real riding. A rake so stretched out all turns are planned in advance, so low that yeah parts are scraped just changing lanes, ape hangars so tall I cant see how their hands dont go numb. Personally I would never own one. It is just too difficult to justify a 30k garage ornament.

Just like I never understood some peoples concept of "going for a ride" means 5 miles down the road to a local bar for an hour and back home. I mean 4-5k is still alot of money to be throwing down on a bike. Just seems like a waste if you aren't going to be putting any miles on it. However, some people just have the money to spend. Yes, I have two bikes. I have also put 17k miles on them this year. Riding season will be over when it snows and there is salt all over the ground. When riding motorcycles loses its flair, and I only put on 1k a year, I will sell one or both and get a used and cheap to insure bike that I can put around in every once in a while. You know - something more appropriate for the riding I do.

Anyway back on track here. I prefer the home built bikes over the choppers as well.

What really gets me is the bike snobs. Those that think that because they spent x amount of dollars or because they have so many cc's they are the better person. I dont care about that. Go out and enjoy the ride.

I dont know. Maybe thats just what some people think motorcycles is all about. Going down the street and parking somewhere to show off.

If by any chance I do strike a nerve here with anyone I am sorry I just dont get it.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #13
backinthesaddleagain

I used to watch American Chopper but after a while it was just the father yelling at his kids. I did watch it again recently as I heard the sons were not involved at the shop anymore. The bikes are works of art, but how much grinding and hammering does it take to get a part to fit? Kind of like designed by artists, built by artists rather than mechanics. I would like to see how aligned their wheels are.

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #14
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I can't afford one of them custom jobs but if I could I'd have me one. It couldn't be my only bike as I sometimes like to get busy on two wheels so I need a performance bike first! Those things look cool but the handling has to be for crap...
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #15
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Speaking of OCC, the real dedication and talent left with Vinnie and Cody a couple years ago. They have their own shop and their bikes show promise.

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
Speaking of OCC, the real dedication and talent left with Vinnie and Cody a couple years ago. They have their own shop and their bikes show promise.
I think you are right. I was surprised when I heard that as I didn't watch the shows that season.

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #17
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
Lots of people from all walks of wealth waste money. You know what is an even bigger waste of money than 30k choppers, jewelry, yet people spend a lot more of their disposable income on trinkets. I could name probably at least 100 more things people of all walks of life waste their money on, that IMO are worse than any motorcycle.

Im not saying that I agree with people buying those 30k rolling abortions. Im saying that its nothing new, and people pay high dollar for goods that showboat their wealth all the time, and have done so for ages.
My brother-in-law wears a Rolex that cost more than my bike. I guess it`s an image thing.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #18
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
My brother-in-law wears a Rolex that cost more than my bike. I guess it`s an image thing.
At least he doesn't need to shim the rolex every 7500 miles.

Old October 30th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #19
backinthesaddleagain

Sexist comment coming here. I appreciate that women like jewelry. In fact I think it can help accentuate their look. However I think a man who wears alot of jewelry, especially expensive jewelry, has a lot of disposable income and just likes to show it. I wear my wedding band (simple plain gold), and I guess I can appreciate a nice, reasonably priced watch. But bracelets, neck chains, etc says "hey I have so much money I can waste it on this stuff, see it?" Oh well to each his own.