ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 27th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1
michaelclaw
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Getting the 2008-2012 Ninja 250r

KOSO RX-2 Nina 250r Question PnP

I have a question if i buy the plug and play kit i know you install the 2 sensors, the oil and the water/radiator one. My question is can i just install the oil one and not radiator one, and the gauge would work fine? Obviously the water sensor wouldnt work but would everything else work? The reason i dont want to install the water one is because i'm afraid that i will mess up on the cutting of the hose in half and mess up my radiator....

Thanks for reading my topic

~Michael
michaelclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelclaw View Post
I have a question if i buy the plug and play kit i know you install the 2 sensors, the oil and the water/radiator one. My question is can i just install the oil one and not radiator one, and the gauge would work fine? Obviously the water sensor wouldnt work but would everything else work? The reason i dont want to install the water one is because i'm afraid that i will mess up on the cutting of the hose in half and mess up my radiator....

Thanks for reading my topic

~Michael
Hi Michael

If you take the hose off and put it in a table vice and use a junior hack saw you can get a very good clean cut, like anything it's the prep and time taken that leads to a good result, I am fairly sure the device will work without knowing how hot your radiator is.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3
michaelclaw
ninjette.org newbie

So if i take off the hose where do i know to cut? in half?

Old March 29th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #4
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
The blue thing is the Koso sensor and the large grey thing is a thermo-bob unit(that's where you thermostat is now) you want to place the sensor anywhere in this hose on the right side of the bike because its your return line and it will tell you the temp of the water coming out of the motor. I would install the Koso unit as far forward(behind the termostat but as far forward as possible) as you can. It's not that critical as long as you get it in there. Also try to get it into as area of strait tubing to make your life easier.

If you have some fiberglass insulation wrap it around the Koso unit to keep the ambient air temp for lowering your reading. This is not nessisary but without it just know that your temp reading will probably be about 10-20F low.

I love my temp sensor so the idea of not installing it when you have it it just blasphemy.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:25 AM   #5
AndrewMack
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Maybe you haven't looked at this yet? This video serves as a GREAT reference for ya.

Link to original page on YouTube.

AndrewMack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:58 AM   #6
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Hmm, the term "plug and play" has to be spread very thin on this one.

With the amount of cutting required and installing of new sensors it's very much not a drop in unit, nor would I use the term "plug and play" for something that needs a lot more attention then simply plugging it in, and using it as it is.

Old April 1st, 2013, 06:30 AM   #7
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Hmm, the term "plug and play" has to be spread very thin on this one.

With the amount of cutting required and installing of new sensors it's very much not a drop in unit, nor would I use the term "plug and play" for something that needs a lot more attention then simply plugging it in, and using it as it is.
Yeah but if you know how to change your oil then you damn well know how to install the oil temp sensor. As for the coolant temp sensor, well, if you can change your oil then i don't think cutting a small piece out of your hose and tightening down hose clamps on the adapter is any more difficult.

EDIT: Not to mention that video couldn't break it down to any more simpler steps. I watched it because I'm buying one and wanted to see how it was done. After watching it I'm sure i could of figured out how to do that all myself by just looking at the parts. The only unsure part i would of been stuck on was where to put the coolant sensor in line.
Red250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

You forgot you'll have to install the speed sensors or mechanical to digital adaptor, my point isn't on complexity, but rather the title of plug and play being misleading due to the fact it's not plug and play if you need to void your waranty by cutting into hoses and instal about three after market sensors, some of which require hacking the stock system.

If I could take the old one out, plug a new one in, sure, plug and play by the very definition, but this kit is going to take a lot more than that, and it annoys me that they market it is plug and play.

Old April 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM   #9
michaelclaw
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMack View Post
Maybe you haven't looked at this yet? This video serves as a GREAT reference for ya.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Ive watched it already and thats why i asked this question, thanks though for searching for that video.

Old April 1st, 2013, 02:24 PM   #10
michaelclaw
ninjette.org newbie

So if i was to get a 2008 ninja 250r, could someone send me a link to a website where i can buy a extra hose for the radiator just in case i fu*k up? lol

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Yeah true I guess. But it's stated as plug and play probably because it's about as plug and play as it can be. The sensors, for the most part, are extra. The only "hacking" of the system is the coolant temp and that hose can be replaced if need be. I don't know how much it is at a parts store but you can always buy one first and hack that. Then if you ever wanna take your bike in then put the stock one back in. Granted they probably couldn't tell the difference between the stock hose or the one you bought. But everyone's mechanical ability is different so I guess "plug and play" describing a kit is kinda wrong when there's things other than plugging in involved.

And Michaelclaw, there's a stickied thread with a bunch of oem parts sites listed. Try there.
Red250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
You forgot you'll have to install the speed sensors or mechanical to digital adaptor, my point isn't on complexity, but rather the title of plug and play being misleading due to the fact it's not plug and play if you need to void your waranty by cutting into hoses and instal about three after market sensors, some of which require hacking the stock system.

If I could take the old one out, plug a new one in, sure, plug and play by the very definition, but this kit is going to take a lot more than that, and it annoys me that they market it is plug and play.
Any those things plug and play by any definition. You simply unthread and thread into the adapter by hand. Simple. The coolant sensor is optional. No splicing is needed with the PnP kit, though the adapter plate should be included because you'll still need a way to mount the damn thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelclaw View Post
So if i was to get a 2008 ninja 250r, could someone send me a link to a website where i can buy a extra hose for the radiator just in case i fu*k up? lol
You can order one of those complete hose kits on eBay that come in fancy colors.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #13
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

you do not have to install either water or oil temperature gauges. I didnt and the other features work great
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red250R View Post
Yeah true I guess. But it's stated as plug and play probably because it's about as plug and play as it can be. The sensors, for the most part, are extra. The only "hacking" of the system is the coolant temp and that hose can be replaced if need be. I don't know how much it is at a parts store but you can always buy one first and hack that. Then if you ever wanna take your bike in then put the stock one back in. Granted they probably couldn't tell the difference between the stock hose or the one you bought. But everyone's mechanical ability is different so I guess "plug and play" describing a kit is kinda wrong when there's things other than plugging in involved.

And Michaelclaw, there's a stickied thread with a bunch of oem parts sites listed. Try there.
PCs popularized "Plug 'n' Play" around 1995 and all it meant was that resources were assigned automatically instead of being set by switches, jumpers, and configuration files. You still had to use a screwdriver to install that video card. You still had to connect and disconnect cables. It didn't mean that everything simply pushes on to the connector. A "PnP" TV tuner card required opening the PC chassis (good luck finding one without screws back then), removing a slot cover (many required breaking it off), inserting the card, threading on CoAx cable, attaching CD-ROM audio pass-through cables to both the CD-ROM and the sound card, reassembling the chassis, installing drivers, and configuring the software (channel setup). This isn't much different. Really. Unscrew a drain bolt, screw in their temp sensor. Unscrew a speedometer cable, screw it into their adapter. Unplug the the old gauge, plug in the new gauge. Remove the old gauge, install the new gauge (OK, because of that, a better example is a PnP expansion card upgrade, like my ATI All in Wonder graphics card / TV tuner I had in 1997).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote