Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old May 18th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #1
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Me and some Germans through Wicklow, Ireland

I have words, video and pictures this time

Myself on the Ninja 250r a German friend from work who is riding a total of 5 weeks on his BMW f650GS, one of his friends from Germany who is doing a full tour of Europe on his BMW 1200 GS and a Polish girl riding pillion on the 1200, went touring around Wicklow this past Sunday. Tour started at 10:30 and ended at 17:30 (5:30 PM) so about 7 hours mostly riding, some lunch and taking some photos.

The pics are in the video also, but even in HD it doesn't do them justice, however we will start with the short video. I only got 30 minutes out of my battery on the video cam so its pretty short.

Link to original page on YouTube.

This was the full route

Now the stories and pictures

So I actually had to walk a mile in biker gear to collect my bike, then ride for an hour to get to the start point. Trip details where a bit last minute, I got the text at home and had to rush to get myself sorted out and geared up. While I was not very keen on have to add another 2 hours each way to the start/end point I was very glad to have a simple enough hour to test out the bike as I had just finished the R+G tail tidy the previous day, and also had not tested the bike since replacing my bent gear lever.

Getting the text, notice the Dainese t-shirt, not sure how protective it is though

I rode out with no issues, stopped for petrol and got to the start point in plenty of time. Unfortunately they didn't mean 10:30 German time, they meant 10:30 Irish time, so we set off around 11 First stop was the petrol station then off to pick up the pillion about 2 miles away. First run was relatively straightforward up to the middle of our figure of 8 map. This is Laragh, lots of bikes of all shapes and sizes moving in and out all day. 2 coffee shops, lots of parking a pub serving food and good roads in every direction.

So off we headed for the mountains, very similar to the Sally Gap thread I put up last week, in fact we ended up on the Sally Gap after 45 minutes of some really tight twisty bumpy roads. The BMW suspension was better suited to the bumps. We stopped 3 times to take pictures, but nowhere on the road is very level so parking really a challenge, however I got a nice shot of a waterfall.

We carried on up this challenging bumpy hill. The some parts of it where a bit loose, I saw small loose gravel coming out of the rear wheel of the bike ahead and decided to test how slippy it was. I gave it some gas and I got the back wheel to spin and go sideways a little bit. Fortunately the lead rider must of noticed also as the pace slowed down till we got back onto the Sally Gap. Then up through Blessington and onto the Blessington Lakes.

Took the opp to get a group shot also

After this we headed towards the Wicklow Gap, stopped to get some petrol at a tiny little petrol station. Well its really someones house that they have converted the front room into a little shop selling newspapers, bread, milk, chocolate bars and they thought to put a couple of petrol pumps outside too. As I filled up a kid of around 10 or 11 started chatting to me, he liked the ninja and told me about his friends 10cc bike

Then we went up the Wicklow gap, the roads where a bit less bumpy a bit faster and more flowing. The pace was still a little slow for me but getting better. Finally we stopped on the gap....

Before setting off down this road

This completed one half of our figure of 8 and brought us back to Laragh for a late lunch (well really coffee and apple pie)

Then we started the 2nd loop which was much less bumpy and much quicker between the odd little towns, most of the video footage was shot here. Then along the coast of the Irish Sea. We stopped at a nice little beach that not many people seem to know about.

Finally we headed towards home. I was physically wrecked, my back was sore, my knee ached from standing up for bumps, my left index finger felt like it was on fire, as I injured it working on the bike the previous day and to top it off I had a major headache. Got almost home and stopped to visit someone. Had a few soft drinks and started to feel better, took this shot of the mess of my helmet after the days riding.

Had something to eat then went the last bit home, after drinking about 6 liters of fluids all the aches and pains were gone. Thought I'd be a mess on Monday morning a 06:30 getting up for work but I felt great, appears the ninja is a nice tourer if you keep yourself hydrated properly and try to avoid some of the really bumpy stuff.

Thanks for reading/watching

Old May 18th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Awesome pics.
I'll check the vids later today.

Cool getting to cruise around other places in the ride reports.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #3
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Great report. It makes me want to make it over there some day. Thanks.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Beautiful pics as always, Karl!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Wow great pics.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:18 AM   #6
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

No matter where you are in the world--The Ninjette offers a lifetime of memories....awesome pics....
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to ride reports

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote