ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old November 28th, 2018, 05:20 PM   #1
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Ninja ZX6 cross year caliper fitment.

Hey Ninjette!

So I've taken a break (pun at your own discretion) from working on my Ninja 250 due to weather and being otherwise busy.

I recently rebuilt my 06 Ninja ZX6R (636) from the ground up, which included a full brake system rebuild (including powder coating the calipers). Before rebuild they were pretty ******, even with Vesrah Semi-metalic pads in the heat of summer. Post-rebuild, and lot of work, they're better, but still ****. Even my Ninja 250 brakes that have only had the fluid replaced and bled regularly are far better.

How are they ******? They don't engage until almost full lever in with (adjustable or stock lever, doesn't matter), and the lever pressure feels like I need to bleed it, even after full rebuild of calipers and cylinders, with new reservoir, new pads, then pressure bled from all points not once, not twice, but 3 times. Then I tried back bleeding using a syringe again, 3 times. I tried zip tying the brake lever engaged and bleeding, I've tried leaving the lever open and bleeding, I've tried pumping the lever and bleeding.

This is highly unusual, as I've never had this problem on any other bike or hydraulic device (clutches both cars and bikes). It doesn't get better after heating up the brakes either. The closest thing was to simulate a longer plunger rod with spacers, but then the brakes would drag which caused a whole new set of problems.

Since this seems to be a problem specific to this bike as every other bike I own and/or have worked on I've never had so much trouble, I'd like to just all out replace the brake system, and upgrade to braided lines in the process. The 05-06 ZX6R and RR use Tokico calipers, with a Nissin Master Cylinder. What I'd like to do is use the 07-08 Nissin Calipers as it looks as they seem more reliable, and 07-08 used the same size rotor and style of caliper mount. I just need to know if the center to center bolt distance is the same, and if they should fit the 05-06. I know the caliper bolts are the same.

I know that was long, but I've tried using other forums and there's hardly anyone on them usually, and they don't ever give as good of answers.

If anyone has any suggestions it'd be very much appreciated, as well as if anyone knows whether the 07-08 calipers will fit.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2018, 07:49 AM   #2
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

7-8 calipers are a straight bolt on for the 5-6 6Rs and a major improvement to boot.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2018, 09:33 AM   #3
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
7-8 calipers are a straight bolt on for the 5-6 6Rs and a major improvement to boot.
Good to know! Yeah They're definitely better. Looks like I've got a new project then to work on.

Old November 29th, 2018, 11:02 AM   #4
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Just a quick update, I was able to find a thread compiled due to this being a major problem on the 05-06 ZX6. Apparently Kawasaki replaced the piston altogether because of this with a new part. Going to do another rebuild but with the updated part and bleed exactly to this guys instructions and see if it fixes it since it's cheaper.

Old November 29th, 2018, 11:50 AM   #5
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBraap View Post
Just a quick update, I was able to find a thread compiled due to this being a major problem on the 05-06 ZX6. Apparently Kawasaki replaced the piston altogether because of this with a new part. Going to do another rebuild but with the updated part and bleed exactly to this guys instructions and see if it fixes it since it's cheaper.
Link to the above mentioned thread.

https://www.zx6r.com/mechanical-tech...part-list.html

Old November 29th, 2018, 01:24 PM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, as I was reading your OP, I was thinking "needs to rebuild master-cylinder..."
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2018, 01:29 PM   #7
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Yeah, as I was reading your OP, I was thinking "needs to rebuild master-cylinder..."
I did rebuild it, with an All Balls rebuild kit which includes all packings, o-rings, snap rings, washers, spring, and elbow. What it doesn't include is the new piston which is a Kawasaki OEM replacement to the old part number that fixes the sponginess.

Last futzed with by NinjaBraap; November 29th, 2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Rebuild kit was All Balls, not K&L

Old November 29th, 2018, 03:12 PM   #8
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Can you compare pistons and post photo? I'd like to see what differences are.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2018, 03:19 PM   #9
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Can you compare pistons and post photo? I'd like to see what differences are.
I had the same thought, but I was unable to find good enough photos or diagrams to show any noticeable difference. In Kawasaki's diagram it does show the part as superseded though, and includes all the rubber seals for the piston and the spring if you order the new piston.

For this I'm going off of the thread on ZX6R.com that was created by someone who's done this several times and the thread itself is apparently a culmination of this problem being so commonly discussed for that year on ZX6R.com. I posted the link above, but here it is again.

https://www.zx6r.com/mechanical-tech...part-list.html