ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #41
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Ok, so it's about that time that I get a GPS - birthday present from my parents.

I'm pretty sure I want to get a Garmin because of their customer service and I'm already familiar with their user interface. I went to Garmins website to learn about the features. Great website! You can just select the certain features you want and it lists the GPSs that have those features. It seems like the Nuvi 760 is the best choice for me. It has the features I want most - multiple point routing so I can choose my route, widescreen to easier viewing, mp3 player since I might use it sometime, bluetooth since I might use it sometime. Lastly, it can be bought now for under $250.

Does this look like a good one to get?
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #42
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

It's good that they give the specs ahead of time, but it's even better that they let you download the instruction manuals as well.

Here's a link to the manuals for the Nuvi 760. (I attached 'em below as well)

There is the same manual for the 750/760.

Check the manual for everything that you might want to do with it. If it's not in the manual, the unit can't do it; it's really as simple as that. The 760 looks like it does allow you to load routes into it. I'm not sure whether it lets you load tracks, from the manual it appears to not be able to do that. Also, it doesn't appear to manage a trip log / track log at all, so you may not be able to save your track and upload it to your computer later. For $250, it's definitely a good deal, but I do think that it is missing some things that I'd want in a motorcycle GPS.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nuvi750-GPS-Atl_OwnersManual.pdf (1.58 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf nuvi750_QuickStartManual.pdf (730.5 KB, 0 views)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #43
NJD022588
============

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The 760 looks like it does allow you to load routes into it. I'm not sure whether it lets you load tracks, from the manual it appears to not be able to do that.
Hmm.. whats the difference? Seems like if I were able to pick a route, thats all I would need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Also, it doesn't appear to manage a trip log / track log at all, so you may not be able to save your track and upload it to your computer later. For $250, it's definitely a good deal, but I do think that it is missing some things that I'd want in a motorcycle GPS.
Just a guess.. but is the trip log/track log the feature that allows you to see what times you were at certain places in your route (which goes along with the picture geocoding)?

Thanks for the Manual links!

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #44
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

A route is a collection of a few track points that imply a connection between them. A route might have 5 waypoints in it, and the route basically says you'll go to 1 first, then auto-route using the loaded maps to get you to 2, then to 3, then to 4, etc. For on-road routing, in many cases a route makes sense.

A track is also a collection of of waypoints, but that's really all it is. There is no implied connection between them. There are typically many, many more waypoints in a track. Think of a track like an electronic breadcrumb of the ride. I have my GPS's set to save a trackpoint every 30 seconds, for example. After the ride, I can load the track up to a PC and I have a record of exactly where I went.

If you're looking to download somebody else's ride from an online site so you can do the same ride, many times they are saved in track format, rather than routes. (all off-road type rides are track format, but that doesn't necessarily apply here). There are some conversion programs to switch things back and forth between routes and tracks, but that doesn't mean that a GPS that can only do routes isn't missing something. Often it is limited to as few as 25 - 50 waypoints in a route, while a track may have many more. And if the track is filtered down to the right number of waypoints so it can be loaded, it's possible that the auto-routing on the unit will take you on a different way than was intended by the track.

And you're exactly right, it's that tracklog feature that allows for geocoding pictures afterwards. Both routes and tracks have their place, and there are good reasons to use both, depending on the current task you're trying to do with the GPS. I wouldn't want to go without either.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #45
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I have the Zumo and though we may argue I wouldn't go with another GPS unit. It tracks where I've been, let me upload routes, make my own routes, and it will do MP3's with bluetooth capabilities. Beyond that I haven't played with it to much.

Old February 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #46
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Can't go wrong with a Zumo. It does pretty much everything, though there are some things that it's clunkier at or more limited than other Garmins due to a simplified user interface (trying to deal with multiple tracks on board for a longer trip, for example, or trying to create a screen with the specific pieces of data you want rather than just the stock choices). But as for feature set, there's not much that's left out, it is their top motorcycle GPS for a reason. Many folks flinch at the cost though, as it is quite expensive, and it's a common question to wonder if a less expensive model will be just as good. Answering that question depends on what people want to do with the GPS, so with any luck they've figured that out before they purchased anything so there isn't any buyer's remorse when they find out they really needed a feature that the one they purchased doesn't include.

Old February 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #47
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I would be interested in hearing more reviews of different systems as well as any innovative mounting solutions.

I've been thinking about getting a gps for a while now, but I would like a more stock looking mounting system. I came up with this that I might try should I decide to pull the trigger and buy a system.

It would mount to the back side of the upper windshield mount bolts and sit behind/under the windshield. I think you would need a taller windshield for this to work. With my Sport Touring screen it will def. fit, but may also fit with a Double Bubble. It might shake too much, but I would have to try it out.

The Mount

My Windshield

Got the idea from something I saw on a Versys.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #48
NJD022588
============

Looks like a good idea for your setup

Old February 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM   #49
Alex
ninjette.org dude

For people who have one of those SPoT gadgets, and want to get their data into a usable GPS route that they can share with their friends, check out these posts in the SPoT thread.

I'll still save the GPS tracklogs directly from the GPS if I want to do geocoding or have a record of the trip. But that takes some time to massage those files, link them together if needed, etc. For a quick route file with almost zero work, getting the data from the SPoT works perfectly.

Old February 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM   #50
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
AMA members get a 20% discount on Garmin GPS. I don't use one because I'm so old I already know every road and short cut in the US.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM   #51
Alex
ninjette.org dude

The AMA discount for Garmin GPS's seems nice in theory, but the MSRP of Garmin devices is so horribly inflated that 20% off MSRP is often more than the average sale prices for the gadgets anyway. Take the Zumo 550 for example. MSRP of $899. You can buy it from Amazon for $655 and get free shipping. If you login to Garmin's AMA affinity site to buy the same gadget with the AMA discount, they want $675 + shipping.

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #52
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Ok so I've been thinking more about this lately. I want to have a simple GPS that I can use on the fly (don't have to plan out the route beforehand), but I don't want to dive too deeply into it yet, like spending the money on a Zumo.

I came across some older Garmin units that are waterproof (a requirement to me), the Street Pilot 2720, 2730, and 2820. I have found all 3 fairly reasonably priced (<$150), but the 2820 is a little harder to come by for cheap as it is newer and has bluetooth.

My question is for you guys that have GPS already do you listen to directions or just glance at the screen every now and then. If you just look at the screen there are other options which are less expensive (they don't have text-to-speech like the Street Pilot models).

Basically what I want to know is would I be better to spend $50 on a non-TTS Magellan or Garmin, or spend $100 on a TTS Garmin. I do use my iPod on long trips so I would like a way to listen to music and the GPS, but from what I've read there really aren't any cheap ways to do this.

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #53
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I run TTS on the RT with a Zumo, as I have a headset in the helmet already for all types of audio. On the ninjette I run a 60Cx without TTS, and just look down at it from time to time. I have it configured to show miles to next turn, so with just a glance I can peek and see when I need to be ready for it.

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #54
camaroz1985

Ok that's good to know. I just saw that the 2730 has a built in FM transmitter. So could I set that and a transmitter on my ipod to the same frequency and listen with a headset (Scala Rider FM maybe) that way?

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #55
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I've found the fully wireless systems to be more costly than the benefit they provide. Once you start wanting to have audio in the helmet, and you want to hook up a GPS as well as music, a wired system starts to make more sense. Much more reliable, will work all day long without recharging, can hook up many more devices to the same system if you like (radar detector, for example), and it's not as expensive as some might think.

That said, the only gadget I have on the ninjette is a GPS without TTS, so I don't run any audio to the helmet on that bike.

Old March 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #56
camaroz1985

Well I bought a Garmin 2720 on ebay for $75. The motorcycle mount and wiring is $36, and I will make a bracket like I posted about before. Should be a cheap and easy way to get myself into GPS.

Old March 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #57
camaroz1985

Here it is.

More info here

Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM   #58
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

*tag*
(sorry, I don't see a 'subscribe' button)
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM   #59
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
*tag*
(sorry, I don't see a 'subscribe' button)
right there under "thread tools".
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #60
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Name: Nani

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Has anyone heard anything about the TomTom Rider2?

The main feature I'm looking for is to hear the directions in my ear because I really don't want to be looking down at it while riding. I'm hoping there's a more economical alternative with the bluetooth 'voice" in your helmet... but I haven't found it... any suggestions?

The Rider2 seems to have almost all the features of the Zumo, and it's on sale for half price at Amazon right now: ($365)

Product Features

* A rugged waterproof device, anti-glare screen, integrated sun visor, and gloves-on operation give bikers just what they need while riding; universal mounting kit fits most bikes
* Spoken turn-by-turn instructions and 3D graphics will guide you to any address in the United States and Canada
* Navigation instructions are spoken via in-helmet Cardo scala-rider Bluetooth headset for great audio quality, external noise cancellation, and added safety and convenience
* Itinerary planning helps riders make the most of their time on the road; with a choice of routes--including shortest, fastest, non-toll roads, and avoiding highways--you can explore the world your own way
* Makes riding even safer with Bluetooth hands-free calling (compatible mobile phone required)

Technical Details

* CPU: 380 MHz
* System Memory: 32 MB RAM
* Display: 3.5 inch, 320 x 240 TFT color LCD touchscreen
* Dimensions: 4.46 x 3.79 x 2.08 inches
* Weight: 11 ounces
* Battery: Internal rechargeable Li-Ion
* Approximate battery life: 5 hours
* Operating temperature: 14 to 130 degrees F
* Waterproofing: PX7--protects against any wet-weather conditions
* Bluetooth headset battery talk time: 7 hours
* Bluetooth headset battery standby: 1 week
* Alternative power source: 12V motorbike battery

Old April 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #61
Alex
ninjette.org dude

The TomTom devices always clean up on the feature set checklist, but seem to fall short once someone actually uses them for awhile. The initial Rider unit was very much anticipated, with features that Garmin hadn't released or even contemplated yet, but once released, reviewers were generally unkind. The Rider2 model seems to be an improvement, the pricing is reasonable, and the fact that they are throwing in a bluetooth headset is definitely a plus.

If I was going to spend $400 though, I'd probably save up just a little bit more and get a Zumo 550 on clearance with a headset, or even the new Zumo 660.

Old April 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #62
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Any idea where they would have the Zumo 550 on clearance???

For now I'm using the iPhone but in the middle of a ride this weekend it died (battery lost charge really fast) and I was left GPS/phone/music-less... it was terrible to say the least... couldn't tell the riders I was going to meet that I was lost!!

Old April 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #63
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Looks like the going rate for the 550 is between $500 & $600 right now. That will drop as more 660's hit the market to replace the 550. I'd expect the 550's to be going for $400 - $450 on ebay in 3 months or less. The 550 comes with all maps you need, comes with a great motorcycle mount, as well as a nice car mount. It looks like the Rider2 may include these as well, but other cheaper GPS's may not so it's important to keep in mind what the total price will be for your setup.

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #64
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

I just wish there was a cheaper alternative... $400 is still a lot...

My phone isn't bluetooth so I don't really care for that. I'd like one with voice prompts, spoken street names and an audio jack but there's so many devices out there it's dizzying.

How does this one look?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218010613502

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #65
camaroz1985

Garmin 2820 has bluetooth and is waterproof. $235 on ebay right now with free shipping. It is the same as the one I posted above only with bluetooth. The only bad thing is you have to wire it to the bike, but then again you never have to worry about the battery going dead that way.

Sorry didn't see you said about wanting an audio jack. In that case the one I have is great if you just want to try something out. I got mine for $75. Has the same no battery issue, but is really good. You can get others nearly as cheap, but I wanted to make sure mine was waterproof.

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #66
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

hm, I'm liking the 2820. Does it have a slot for memory card?

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #67
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

^ Not sure if the 2820 does... I just found it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-005...9716268&sr=1-1

Also looking at the 2720 from there as well...
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-StreetP...9716932&sr=1-2

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #68
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Sorry didn't see you said about wanting an audio jack. In that case the one I have is great if you just want to try something out. I got mine for $75. Has the same no battery issue, but is really good. You can get others nearly as cheap, but I wanted to make sure mine was waterproof.
Do you just plug regular headphones from your gps to your helmet?

And Ryan, does you gps tell you something like "turn left in 3 miles on Concord Ave" and if you miss it then it recalculates the route?

Old April 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #69
camaroz1985

Yes and yes.

Well the headphones plug into the wiring harness that powers the unit.

Old April 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #70
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Yes and yes.

Well the headphones plug into the wiring harness that powers the unit.
Is that like an additional attatchment one has to buy?

Do you have any pics?

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #71
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I'm not a fan of the Nuvi line for motorcycles, as the lower end models in that line leave out a ton of features I like. But the top of the line Nuvis do include most of the features I look for. They don't include any real track management, though. The Streetpilot 2720 and 2820 are nice units. I'm not sure if they say "turn left on smith street in 3 miles" or just "turn left in 3 miles", though. Pronouncing the actual street names is a pretty new feature and some of the older units don't include that.

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #72
camaroz1985

They definitely say the street names. They have full text to speech.

Here is the Garmin mount and wiring harness for motorcycles.

http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/010-10495-00.htm

Old April 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #73
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Ryan, I think I'm going to go with your idea of getting the 2720...

$108
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-StreetP...9716932&sr=1-2

+ this so I can hook up my headphones to it:
$28
http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/010-10495-02.htm

and this RAM mount:
$35
http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDeta...Z-GA9&CartID=2

Do you think this'll work?

Old April 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #74
camaroz1985

Sounds like a plan. Hope it works as good for you as it has for me!!

The headphone jack on the harness is 2.5mm mono (only left ear). Most headphones are 3.5mm (unless you have one for a phone). If you use this adapter (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062471), you will get the sound in both ears and can plug any 3.5mm headphones into it.

Old April 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #75
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Looks like a plan! The 2720 is a nice unit, and you've found some great pricing on a full setup.

As soon as you get it set up, make sure to hook it to your computer and run Garmin Webupdater; it's very likely that the unit will be a couple revisions back on its firmware, and webupdater will step you through getting it to the current version.

Old April 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #76
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

So I just recently posted in the thread about the speedo being off on our little ninjettes, and this has me really interested in getting a basic GPS unit now (so I can know my speed a little more accurately). I'm not too concerned about too much else as I'll probably rarely use it for actual GPS (though who knows, this may change in the future). The Garmin 2720 has quite a few more "bells and whistles" than what I truly need, but its cost point is not that bad. Anything that will specifically help me with accurate speed? What do you GPS junkies recommend?

Old April 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #77
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Just about any GPS you can buy will show speed. You could likely pick up a used Garmin emap or etrex on ebay for well under $50.

Old April 16th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #78
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Cool, I'll give it a look later on. Thanks Alex!

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #79
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have a Magellan Maestro 4200 that I bought for travels in the cage. One day I tried sticking the suction cup mount to the windscreen and it stuck very well. I took it on the bike for a trip and it worked well except for the fact that I could not here the voice prompts. I should have got one with Blue Tooth.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #80
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I have a Nuvi 265WT (recently bought it but haven't gotten it hooked up yet). The gps end of the power cord is a mini usb..... is it safe to assume the car charger (with mini usb) will work, or could they be different voltages?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote