ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Name: Mikey

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Question Motorcycle insurance in Canada.

So I called one place for a quote because I want to be 100% ready for everything in the spring. So with fire and theft and PL PD no collision they want $100/month. My god is there some way to get cheap insurance???? Thats so impractical!

Asuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #2
shellneil
ninjette.org member

Name: shellneil

Motorcycle(s): 1999 kawasaki ninja zx6r

i have full coverage.....33 a month...i have a perfect driving record...mc licence....msf classes...and 26 years old.. i go through allstate........
shellneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuna View Post
So I called one place for a quote because I want to be 100% ready for everything in the spring. So with fire and theft and PL PD no collision they want $100/month. My god is there some way to get cheap insurance???? Thats so impractical!

LOL in Toronto that's CHEAP. I'm 27, had a full driver's license for more than 5 years, clean record, and my rate with statefarm was about $67/month. And that's considered REALLY CHEAP around here.

Check with statefarm. Their rates are based on engine size.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Alright man thanks for the heads up. The bike is $125 a month I am willing to pay half that for insurance but not anymore then 50% my land!

Old November 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #5
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Until your over 25 years old... expect expensive insurance on ANY bike.

Once you turn 25 it becomes a little more manageable.

I'm turning 24 in december living in Ottawa paying 120$/m for theft and 1M liability. I havn't had a speeding ticket since i was 17 and never been in any accidents and i'm with Statefarm.

Next summer I plan on taking the ninjette to the track so I can max out my skills in preperation for a bigger bike when i turn 25
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binlagin View Post
Until your over 25 years old... expect expensive insurance on ANY bike.

Once you turn 25 it becomes a little more manageable.

I'm turning 24 in december living in Ottawa paying 120$/m for theft and 1M liability. I havn't had a speeding ticket since i was 17 and never been in any accidents and i'm with Statefarm.

Next summer I plan on taking the ninjette to the track so I can max out my skills in preperation for a bigger bike when i turn 25
With all that said I'm 27 eh. Clean record If I knew it wouldn't get stolen I could get $500 a year but damn . .. . .

Old November 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I pay 280$ a year for full insurance through state farm.. I had to bring my car too there, but the savings are insane.. I'm 27 too and in New-Brunswick. This was my first year with a bike lisense too. Give them a call ! I pay around 120$ and that includes my car bike and renties insurance! I seriously coudln't beleive it.. I was paying more for my scooter before than my ninja, lol.

Old November 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #8
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I went with Allstate $380/year. Was going to go with State Farm which they quoted me $218 but they wanted $400/year more for my vehicle than i am currently paying.

Old November 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #9
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Whoa, and I though US insurance was expensive.

nb

Old November 28th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #10
BlueRaven

i'm also a newbie rider. next year my rate go down even more. when you take your course mikey the insurance will consider this as a year experience.

Old November 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #11
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
i'm also a newbie rider. next year my rate go down even more. when you take your course mikey the insurance will consider this as a year experience.
Oh cool, I man I'm still buying brand new I just have to have theft on her. I couldn't imagine paying for a bike after it was stolen and your not reimbursed

Thanks so much for all of the help everyone!

Old November 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #12
BlueRaven

these prices are everything included per year. i did not have the option of just putting plpd (basic coverage)

Old November 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #13
Flashmonkey

Quote:
I went with Allstate $380/year. Was going to go with State Farm which they quoted me $218 but they wanted $400/year more for my vehicle than i am currently paying.
*sigh* I wish I had insurance figures like that. The people in and around Toronto are getting screwed big time by the insurance companies. It's actually not uncommon to see some people paying close to $380 per MONTH for a supersport around here.

Old November 29th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #14
binlagin
ninjette.org member

It seems like Toronto has a severe Sport Bike theft problem.

On the GTAM forum atleast once a week somones posts about their 08-09 sport bike being litterally lifted out of their underground parking spaces into trucks and vans.

I don't understand why the cops don't setup a sting.

Old November 29th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #15
BlueRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
*sigh* I wish I had insurance figures like that. The people in and around Toronto are getting screwed big time by the insurance companies. It's actually not uncommon to see some people paying close to $380 per MONTH for a supersport around here.
The insurance companies (was i was told by them) look at where you live and how many accidents and claims are filed in that area and base their rates from that. If i lived 20 min north from where i am i would pay more because they have more accidents then we do. Kinda sucks because i was looking at maybe moving in that area but I'll stay where i am and keep looking in my neighborhood.

Old November 30th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #16
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Talked with state farm. He basically told me to come back once i buy the bike. .. . .. So I have to buy the bike and pray to GOD I get a good insurance deal He said things can change so much. He did ask me some stuff. Even though I don't have a car I am insured on a friends car. Also I am 27 clean record. And I told him I can swing life and furnish over to his agency as well. . . .I hope this works out. I know it a ways away but I have to be ready.

Talk about a Gamble. .. . ..

UPDATE!

Called Primmum Insurance in N.S. and they said they can insure me here in N.B They have a section of their insurance company set up just for motorcycles

FINGERS CROSSED!

Last futzed with by Asuna; November 30th, 2009 at 09:31 AM.

Old November 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #17
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

It's not all bad. I'm 21, male, virgin record, been driving for 4 years and motorcycle for 1(June 08, got my bike Apr 09) and it costs me 340$ a year for liability and fire/theft/vandalism.

I'm with Jevco thru a broker. Keep looking.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #18
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

wow you guys have some cheep insurance out east.
I'm paying $575/yr with statefarm and i thought that was cheep (liability, fire, theft and vand).
I'm 26 with a full G for my car, and 2 yrs experience on my bike with my M2, one minor speeding ticket.
I hope my rate drops more when that ticket comes off.
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #19
BlueRaven

Asuna i wouldn't cross my finger with primmum they quote me over $1,000/year. I've contacted every insurance company in the maritimes that i could find even online ones and a lot of them will not insure the Ninja 250 because it's classified as a sportbike and the ones that do insure them want a lot of $$$.

The thing that is killing you is you lack of having a vehicle insured under your name which they take a as a lack of driving experience. I'm surprised that State Farm did not give you a quote I would call another State Farm office. Insurance companies aren't supposed to refuse a quote if your in the market for a vehicle that is the deciding factor when i'm shopping around. I would suggest that you also try RBC insurance and TD insurance to see what they quote you to see what your figures your looking at.

Old November 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #20
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Asuna i wouldn't cross my finger with primmum they quote me over $1,000/year. I've contacted every insurance company in the maritimes that i could find even online ones and a lot of them will not insure the Ninja 250 because it's classified as a sportbike and the ones that do insure them want a lot of $$$.

The thing that is killing you is you lack of having a vehicle insured under your name which they take a as a lack of driving experience. I'm surprised that State Farm did not give you a quote I would call another State Farm office. Insurance companies aren't supposed to refuse a quote if your in the market for a vehicle that is the deciding factor when i'm shopping around. I would suggest that you also try RBC insurance and TD insurance to see what they quote you to see what your figures your looking at.
I'll do it!

Yeah the State Farm guy just wanted off the phone

Old December 1st, 2009, 04:53 AM   #21
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

I insured with Co-operators here in Labrador. It took a bit of convincing with the local agent but eventually the Ninja was considered in a lower risk category in part because it's only a 250. I got a rate that was much better than larger displacement sport bikes.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM   #22
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
I insured with Co-operators here in Labrador. It took a bit of convincing with the local agent but eventually the Ninja was considered in a lower risk category in part because it's only a 250. I got a rate that was much better than larger displacement sport bikes.
I am with co operators! I have bicycles, furnishing, life, and have had 2 cars and a scooter insured through them!

they quoted me $1500 for PLPD fire/theft

I am gonna go see them and argue with them as well.

Old December 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM   #23
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I am with co operators! I have bicycles, furnishing, life, and have had 2 cars and a scooter insured through them!

they quoted me $1500 for PLPD fire/theft

I am gonna go see them and argue with them as well.
Another trick is introduce it as a EX250. As soon as you say Ninja and 250 "R" they're opinion changes.

Old December 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM   #24
BlueRaven

I forgot to give you some info on Allstate. Allstate first informed me that they would be going with another company to insure my bike with a quote of $600+ because it was classified as a sport bike and was told that allstate doesn't insure them. A couple of days before i was due to go and pick up my paperwork i got a call from my representative and she did some arm twisting and explained to Allstate that this bike was just a little 250. To my surprise they agreed to insure the bike so if they say that they don't insure it and they go to a with a private company explain to them that they have done this for me. There's no reason they can't do it for you. All my quotes were over $1G except State Farm and the private company that Allstate was using. So you might have to cough up over $100/month. Not great news but something you may need to take in consideration if you have a tight wallet.

Old December 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM   #25
Flashmonkey

^^Wow really? My car is with Allstate and when I tried to get an insurance quote for the ninja 250 with them, they said that they've blacklisted any bike with the name "ninja".

It's great that your agent went the extra mile to get you insured under them!

Old December 1st, 2009, 11:32 PM   #26
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Ahhh Ninja.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:23 AM   #27
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Rob makes a good point. Ninja is a bad word for insurance companies. My agent gave me a good rate when I said it was an ex 250 and not a model with an 'R' in their list. it was the turning point in my argument for a lower rate.

Good Luck
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM   #28
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Rob makes a good point. Ninja is a bad word for insurance companies. My agent gave me a good rate when I said it was an ex 250 and not a model with an 'R' in their list. it was the turning point in my argument for a lower rate.

Good Luck
Thanks for the heads up I'll do it!

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM   #29
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250Rocket View Post
It's not all bad. I'm 21, male, virgin record, been driving for 4 years and motorcycle for 1(June 08, got my bike Apr 09) and it costs me 340$ a year for liability and fire/theft/vandalism.

I'm with Jevco thru a broker. Keep looking.
I dunno... i sorta want to call BS on this one, it just sounds to good to be true. Where do you live? Do you have your full "G" license and is it an 08+ model?

Quote:
Another trick is introduce it as a EX250. As soon as you say Ninja and 250 "R" they're opinion changes.
I dunno how this would hold up come claim time either... because on the kawasaki website it states the name of the bike is: Ninja 250R: http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/ninja-250r:1196 NOT an Ex 250.

The wikipedia states that the EX250 is the base model for all 250cc ninjas and they attach the final suffix based on the market place. So if the bike was bought in Canada or the USA it's technically an EX250-R.... as you can't buy just an EX250 because your missing the suffix.

Regardless or not... Insurance companys LOVE the fine print and i would'nt be suprized if they would throw your claim out the window if they found this discrepency.

It is their JOB to make money... not loose it. Just saying...

Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM   #30
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I am insured through Progressive and have full coverage. I did increase the Uninsured Motorist portion because one of our neighboring states does not mandate insurance (it is optional) My rate is $290 a year. I have been riding and driving for 50 years with no accidents and no tickets. If I had not increased the uninsured driver portion and had a higher deductible (I have $500 deductible), the rate would have been lower. Any sportbike, especially one called Ninja carries a higher premium regardless of the rider`s age or record. Insurance companies consider sport bikes a poor risk because, according to their statistics sport bike riders ride more agressively and supposedly have more accidents. Sport Bikes are also costlier to repair because of their lighter construction. A friend, who is an insurance agent, gave me this information.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #31
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I am insured through Progressive and have full coverage. I did increase the Uninsured Motorist portion because one of our neighboring states does not mandate insurance (it is optional) My rate is $290 a year. I have been riding and driving for 50 years with no accidents and no tickets. If I had not increased the uninsured driver portion and had a higher deductible (I have $500 deductible), the rate would have been lower. Any sportbike, especially one called Ninja carries a higher premium regardless of the rider`s age or record. Insurance companies consider sport bikes a poor risk because, according to their statistics sport bike riders ride more agressively and supposedly have more accidents. Sport Bikes are also costlier to repair because of their lighter construction. A friend, who is an insurance agent, gave me this information.
I'm not sure where you are from but you mentioned 'states'? We are discussing CANADIAN isurance...

I know that with my insurance(Statefarm):

-My premium plummets the day I hit 25(statefarm).
-State farm doesn't CARE if the Bike is an EX250 or Ninja 250R... Statefarm only looks at CC's. They don't care if it's a sport bike or cruiser. I'm not sure how this works at other insurance brokers...

Somthing tells me insurance companies have a base number to work with... then given some lee-way to set the prices themselfs?

I just find it hard somone younger then me is paying 1/3 the price... even if they live in the across the country. I'm defintly missing some information... like a 2nd vehicle or on your parents insurance....

Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM   #32
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Ben, I guess what I was trying to say is that the insurance companies in Canada and the US work with a set of statistics (which nobody can understand) based on where you live, etc. It is a good thing that in Canada the premium plummets after age 25 and that the Canadians view a 250 as a 250 whether it is a sportbike or cruiser. I find it interesting that we are dealing with the same insurance companies (State Farm, Allstate, etc) who have such different approaches. In the US, the displacement of the bike is not considered. A 250 Ninja would cost 1/3 more to insure than a 1500 cc Harley. It really is a racket.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM   #33
Flashmonkey

What Alex said is still true for the most part, as Statefarm is pretty much the ONLY company that goes by engine size. I'm fairly sure that in the near future, they may revise this policy...but until then we might as well take advantage of it.

The "name" of the bike is important, yes, but I find that the insurance companies give these bikes their own label. What the bike is called on the Kawi website or Wiki will hold little value, as someone in the insurance company has already "pre-labelled" these bikes in their own database. Calling the bike an EX250 instead of a "NINJA" 250 may only assist the particular agent helping you. In fact, when I went in to sign my initial papers with Statefarm, they made sure that they had the correct model number. (EX250F, as my bike is american, vs the canadian zzr250 or EX250H).

And for the record, I believe the new-gens are designated as EX250J...officially anyway.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #34
Asuna
ninjette.org member

State farm wants $2000/year

This is really pissing me off.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM   #35
Flashmonkey

Holy CRAP!

Are you fully licensed? Statefarm's rates are only good if you're a fully licensed driver, and have been for more than 5 years.

The only other alternative would be to get an older ninja...say a 2000-2003 model or so (or something equally as cheap....around $2000-$2500), and get liability only insurance. If you're planning on getting a brand new or close to new 08-09 model you're gonna be out of luck on that one.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:50 AM   #36
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Holy CRAP!

Are you fully licensed? Statefarm's rates are only good if you're a fully licensed driver, and have been for more than 5 years.

The only other alternative would be to get an older ninja...say a 2000-2003 model or so (or something equally as cheap....around $2000-$2500), and get liability only insurance. If you're planning on getting a brand new or close to new 08-09 model you're gonna be out of luck on that one.
Lowest quote I am getting is $1200.

See I'll be newly licensed in may 2010.

And I want a brand new 2010. So I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pay the insurance. It'll be worth it in the long run.

I've heard lots of peopel say it's not worth owning a bike because the insurance kills teh fun. I guess they are right. . .. .

Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM   #37
Asuna
ninjette.org member

OK tried my Girl who is only a friend but let me stay on her insurance policy because she is awesome and wanted to help me when I get my bike's insurance company and they said around $700-$900 roughly!

So there may be hope yet!!!!!

She is gonna get back to me.

If I can keep it under $100 ill be ecstatic at this point!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed.

P>S>
Sorry for the post whoring but I am sot gonna let anything ruin my dream of getting a 2010 green ninja!

Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM   #38
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
OK tried my Girl who is only a friend but let me stay on her insurance policy because she is awesome and wanted to help me when I get my bike's insurance company and they said around $700-$900 roughly!

So there may be hope yet!!!!!

She is gonna get back to me.

If I can keep it under $100 ill be ecstatic at this point!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed.

P>S>
Sorry for the post whoring but I am sot gonna let anything ruin my dream of getting a 2010 green ninja!
If this can help you any bit, I was with TD Insurance before, and they wanted around 500$ for the Ninja PLPD only, I had a car with them. They did required the MSF class with it though. Try their online quote system maybe?

PS: Are you mystere on MSC ?

Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM   #39
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binlagin View Post
I dunno... i sorta want to call BS on this one, it just sounds to good to be true. Where do you live? Do you have your full "G" license and is it an 08+ model?

I dunno how this would hold up come claim time either... because on the kawasaki website it states the name of the bike is: Ninja 250R: http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/ninja-250r:1196 NOT an Ex 250.

The wikipedia states that the EX250 is the base model for all 250cc ninjas and they attach the final suffix based on the market place. So if the bike was bought in Canada or the USA it's technically an EX250-R.... as you can't buy just an EX250 because your missing the suffix.

Regardless or not... Insurance companys LOVE the fine print and i would'nt be suprized if they would throw your claim out the window if they found this discrepency.

It is their JOB to make money... not loose it. Just saying...
Live in the 'burbs of Montreal. Clean record, good credit, full license sine June 08. Had I been 25 years old the guy told me it would have been 220$. As you can see, your eyes do not deceive you, 347.05$ for 12 months.

As far as the model issue, You were right, EX250R. They did the correction, but price didn't change. However check on the owner's manual. While they do call it the Ninja 250R the Technical model name that appears in the important documents is EX250J9. The 9 signifies the year. I guess it's going to be J10 this year. No R in that one and that's what I gave them.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM   #40
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Live in the 'burbs of Montreal. Clean record, good credit, full license sine June 08. Had I been 25 years old the guy told me it would have been 220$. As you can see, your eyes do not deceive you, 347.05$ for 12 months.

As far as the model issue, You were right, EX250R. They did the correction, but price didn't change. However check on the owner's manual. While they do call it the Ninja 250R the Technical model name that appears in the important documents is EX250J9. The 9 signifies the year. I guess it's going to be J10 this year. No R in that one and that's what I gave them.
Hmm very interesting. The best price I have got thus far is $1200/year. I mean it's still cheaper then running a car. I havent faught with my maine insurance company I deal with yet.