ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM   #1
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Question Grip Warmer power source.

I have grip warmers to install and was thinking of installing a relay vs, using the axillary wires so they will turn off when the bike is shut down. However, it dawned on me that the license plate light wire is not being used as I removed my rear fender and the tail light now lights the plate.

Anyone used this power source for grip heaters?

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM   #2
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I have grip warmers to install and was thinking of installing a relay vs, using the axillary wires so they will turn off when the bike is shut down. However, it dawned on me that the license plate light wire is not being used as I removed my rear fender and the tail light now lights the plate.

Anyone used this power source for grip heaters?
I don't see why you couldn't but I'd def. want a toggle switch between so I could turn them on/off during the ride or if I didn't need them.

On a side note I was pulled over for using my brake light as a light for my plate. Popo told me that it wouldn't fly and it wasn't properly lit. I guess he thought it wasn't enough light to make it readable.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #3
JeffM
Mr. 988

Yep, have the High-Off-Low switch.

Never had a problem with my brake light / plate light combo. Passes inspection all the time. YMMV.

I do not think that the long wire run will cause issues. However, I may be wrong.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:59 PM   #4
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Yep, have the High-Off-Low switch.

Never had a problem with my brake light / plate light combo. Passes inspection all the time. YMMV.

I do not think that the long wire run will cause issues. However, I may be wrong.
Depends on the draw which I doubt is much. I could be wrong, I don't remember the gauge of the wire that ran to that light. I think it'd almost be easier to just wire it direct to the battery if your going that far back. You eliminate using any factory wiring and your using an on / off switch. The only plus would be the fact that you couldn't leave them on at any point when the bike was off.

Edit: Here's that wire (white one with the white plug on it)

I'd say if the wire is about the same gauge on the grips then you should be ok. Sorry just noticed yours is a 05 so it may not look exactly the same.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:44 PM   #5
JeffM
Mr. 988

Thanks Nate. Trying to keep it switched vs. hot as I am old and will forget to switch the grips off.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:20 PM   #6
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Keep the relay and use the light circuit to power it. Seems the simplest/safest approach. How many watts do your grip heaters draw?
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM   #7
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I just recently installed mine (symtec's with the black button switch hi/off/low) and the relay's are nice because they can be used for other things later if you choose. I used the horn circuit to trigger the relay. I found it easier to use a relay because it has ground as well. Otherwise you'll need to figure out where you want to wire ground to the frame.

Are you installing heated grips themselves or the heating elements under your stock grips? If you choose to use the heating elements, I suggest wrapping the clutch side with one layer of electrical tape for insulation and then on top of the elements, wrap it in aluminum "duct" tape. This keeps the elements in place and protected with the added benefit that the aluminum is kind of like a heatsink. Hope that makes sense.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:24 PM   #8
JeffM
Mr. 988

Brian, I have the heating elements that go under the grips. I am concerned now about using the tail light circuit. Checking the wiring diagram for the bike, all the turn signals and brake light use the same fuse.

Thanks for the tape tip.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:17 AM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Brian, I have the heating elements that go under the grips. I am concerned now about using the tail light circuit. Checking the wiring diagram for the bike, all the turn signals and brake light use the same fuse.

Thanks for the tape tip.
Yea, depending on how much you are willing to spend, http://www.easternbeaver.com/ has very easy to install relays. Initially, I was going to get one from there but then ran into a time crunch and decided to make one myself (horrible idea i know) but when i went to autozone and asked about some of the parts, one of the employees had an extra relay in his truck he was going to use for HIDs but instead said I could have it (quite lucky, it was awesome). Of course i checked all the wiring but anyways, point is, you can do something similar pretty easily. It'll probably cost something similar depending on the connections. Personally, I'd forget the hassle and just buy a relay. It's a neat investment and can be used for other things if needed later on.

More importantly, you'll never need to worry about messing with the bike's dedicated circuitry. Especially, since blowing the tail light is a fairly large risk for hand warmers.

Now if you were installing deflector shields then who cares about the tail light.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote