ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 28th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #1
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

Pod Filters

Ok, after spending a day and half removing and re-installing my carbs, yes you read that right a day and a half, I decided I would like to switch to pods. I didn't want to remove the back tire and re-installing them was a *****! One of the carb to airbox boots was harden and didn't want to go back on, even after being boiled.

I was thinking that if I switched to pods (1) it would be easier to remove the carbs if needed. (2) I could possibly create a small trunk with the new space. (3) The bike might gain another 0.10 hp . Seriously, I'm not looking for any gains, but that would be nice. The bike is completely stock and I'm not motivated enough to really change much. I have searched the forum and found quite a few answers, but I just wanted a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion. So can I just add some pod filters without having to rejet? If so, which brand would allow for this? If I have to rejet, what combo (pod/jets) would be best for a stock 2000?

Any and all help is appreciated. It's going to the shop this week for some other issues already.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

I have a pod filter and jets that came off a new gen. Not sure if it will fit on a pre gen though.

If you do install a pod filter, you will need to rejet. It is easy to work in the bike with the big air box removed!

Old February 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #3
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

You'll most likely have to re-jet. Changing from the stock airbox to pods leans the mixture out a lot more. I'm not sure what the jetting would be. I've got a new-gen and still have my airbox. You might be able to find some information on the jetting database.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #4
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F

You are making a good choice, in a few different ways. The biggest advantage for me is how easy it makes carb removal/installation. I can remove then reinstall my carbs in less than 5 minutes.

Also, they do make a slight difference in the upper-range of RPM. They also give the bike a louder, "bigger" sound.

You WILL need to re-jet the carbs. If you don't your bike will likely run like sh*t, and over time, you will destroy your engine. In short, you will burn the exhaust valves and a bunch of other nasty stuff. You don't need to buy a jet kit, it's a waste of money. Depending on your elevation above sea level, my advice is to buy a pair of #108, #110, and #112 main jets. Try out each pair, and see which makes the bike run the best. Basically each jet size feeds the carbs a certain amount of fuel, which alters the air/fuel ratio. Also, buy a pack of #3 washers from the hardware store and shim the carb needles with one washer at a time until the bike runs like a champ.

Hope this helps
1994Ninja250F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #5
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

Thanks for the replies. The carb was already leaking fuel, so I swapped it out with another carb that I had. After the swap, no leaking fuel, but it was bogging down and would shut off. I was having the same problem with the old carb before it started leaking. I don't have much time to troubleshoot the issue now, which is why I was taking it to the shop. I figured if they are going to troubleshoot it, I may as well swap it out.

I have already checked out the Jetting Database and using the search feature, found that K&N Pods R-0990 seems to be the way to go. I wanted something small so that I could possibly have a storage area too. I do have a CycleGear and AutoZone near me, so I imagine I should be able to get everything there.

So it sounds like pods, jets, and washers should to the trick. Anything else?

Thanks.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote