ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 10th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #1
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Difference between pregen exhausts?

I haven't see this covered anywhere, even though the difference between pregen and current gen has been beat to death...

What is the difference between the 88-00 and 01-07 pregen exhausts? I see muzzy doesn't even list the 88-00 on their site anymore. Will the 01-07 fit on a 96?

Thanks, and sorry if I missed the answer somewhere. I think I searched pretty thoroughly...
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

There isn't a difference, not sure why they would even imply that there is.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
There isn't a difference, not sure why they would even imply that there is.
Actually, there is.

The 88 - 00 full systems would touch or come very close to touching the lower fairing, causing it to melt. Muzzy supposedly fixed the issue for the 01 - 07 systems.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Actually, there is.

The 88 - 00 full systems would touch or come very close to touching the lower fairing, causing it to melt. Muzzy supposedly fixed the issue for the 01 - 07 systems.
That makes no sense. If Muzzy fixed the issue with their newer stock, it would be fixed for all pre-gens because the fairings are the same. It only makes sense if you are saying that the exhaust is a "XXXX year Muzzy exhaust" but naming their exhausts with a yearly issue is just silly. They should only mention the revision and advertise the widest fitment possible. Did they just happen to stop making them the same year as Kawi stopped making the bike? That only adds to the confusion.

I'm sure that you are right about the exhaust being updated, but the bike wasn't and so they still fit all F-series Ninja 250s.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #5
CynicalC

I called muzzy and from what I was able to gather (iPhone speaker is terrible) it had something to do with the passenger foot peg...

Old February 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

That only means that muzzy changed something on their end. The bike itself never changed, the fairings from a 88 are the same as on a 2007, just different colors. They did make minor updates to the electronics of the bike though, that much is certain. I have seen junction boxes from the 90's like mine with like 4 fuses while the newer ones have nearly double. Still the same wiring and plugs, just inside the junction box they broke it up to more fuses.

I agree, that muzzy needs to make a better distinction about that. It was a mistake made on THEIR end which was corrected, not something that changed in the bike. So that 01-07 should really be stated as 88-07 version 2.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #7
CynicalC

Well the guy seemed really confused about my question and then even more when I told him to navigate the site to find that there's no exhaust listed for 88-07. So maybe they'll get it fixed.

Either way, I picked up a clean muzzy for $175 on ebay this morning, so I'll find out the hard way whether it fits or not.

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #8
Jinx250
Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
That makes no sense. If Muzzy fixed the issue with their newer stock, it would be fixed for all pre-gens because the fairings are the same. It only makes sense if you are saying that the exhaust is a "XXXX year Muzzy exhaust" but naming their exhausts with a yearly issue is just silly. They should only mention the revision and advertise the widest fitment possible. Did they just happen to stop making them the same year as Kawi stopped making the bike? That only adds to the confusion.

I'm sure that you are right about the exhaust being updated, but the bike wasn't and so they still fit all F-series Ninja 250s.
I never said it made sense. And it was the exhaust, not the bike, that changed. Only they can explain why they named it that way, and even then, I doubt you'd find anyone knowledgeable enough to answer the question.

The only people who list the Muzzy as 88-07 are private sellers. Retial shops will make the distinction, because IIRC they are 2 different part numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Either way, I picked up a clean muzzy for $175 on ebay this morning, so I'll find out the hard way whether it fits or not.
It's not a question of whether it fits. It's a question of how much shimming you need to do to keep it off the plastics.

Old February 15th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #9
CynicalC

Quote:
I never said it made sense. And it was the exhaust, not the bike, that changed. Only they can explain why they named it that way, and even then, I doubt you'd find anyone knowledgeable enough to answer the question.

The only people who list the Muzzy as 88-07 are private sellers. Retial shops will make the distinction, because IIRC they are 2 different part numbers.

It's not a question of whether it fits. It's a question of how much shimming you need to do to keep it off the plastics.
Ah. Well there will be no plastics so I won't have a problem. I have the exhaust sitting here behind me already.

Old February 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Jinx250
Smoker

Then what's all the drama about? Just make sure you have clearance behind the pipe for the swingarm. If it rubs (either the pipe or the bracket) then just give the bracket a good yank outwards. Not too hard though - it'll break.

Old February 26th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #11
CynicalC

Quote:
Then what's all the drama about? Just make sure you have clearance behind the pipe for the swingarm. If it rubs (either the pipe or the bracket) then just give the bracket a good yank outwards. Not too hard though - it'll break.
I only bought the exhaust after asking the question. I asked because I was able to get a good deal on it but had to act quick.